UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't expect to get any resolution from this post, but if I don't write this down, I'm going to end up saying it to someone instead, and I'll either lose my job or alienate lots of people.

Why is blindness such a sticking point? After 2 patients in as many days at work refusing to let me see them at all because I'm blind, one stating that it's ludicrous that I was allowed to practise as a physio at all, and another pointing full at my eyes and mouthing "is she, is she?" as though because I couldn't see them it was all right to do this, I get back to the office and read an email from another idiot.

I've had this said before, but apparently I shouldn't be breeding because I'm blind. It all resurfaced again today. Apparently I am condemning any kittens I breed to a life of misery and risk because I can't see them, so their care is obviously compromised. Apparently they will be unhealthy because I won't be able to spot health problems, and if any of them need bottling, I'll kill them because there's no way I could bottle feed. All this despite bottling a baby last year and having experience with forcing fluids, syringeing food etc. I won't be able to groom or care for them propperly and I'm cruel to even consider breeding as I obviously don't have the cats' welfare or best interests at heart otherwise I'd leave the breeding to the "normal" people.

This sits on top of horrible rumours currently circulating the cat fancy that my "carer" (who is actually a paid PA who accompanies me to cat shows to offer me guidance round noisy, unfamiliar cat show halls, and visual feedback on all the lovely cats I can't see) is the one who does all of my show grooming. I can't groom a Persian propperly, presumably because I can't see, and so she does it all. Well, she doesn't know the first thing about grooming! The most she does for me is some tipping which takes about 10 seconds, and which is the only thing I can't do because I can't see. Apparently, neither of us could present a Persian well if our lives depended on it (remember they had just said that I couldn't/didn't groom, so this doesn't even make sense). And when I pointed out to this lady that she wasn't my carer, she sent me a definition of what a carer was!

I'm so, so sick of it. I seem to be getting it from all sides at the moment. Normal life I expect. People are idiots and they point and whisper etc all the time. Work is also expected, but not particularly nice as I know I'm competent, and before coming on the wards, actually had outpatients complaining if they couldn't get on my list because they wanted to see me. But to have this eating into my hobby as well? It makes me feel almost sick with upset. I need an area of my life that doesn't have this in. The cat fancy is a very back biting place. I do balance it with the fact that for every nasty one there's a lovely one, so I'm not losing perspective, but it makes me wonder how long I want to go on fighting just to be seen as normal. Of course, you can all see from the photos how abused and neglected my fat little pudding kittens are, can't you! But it's ironic that I didn't get an apology with Gabby's BIS Persian Kitten win re rumours of presentation issues. It's funny how people are quick to bad mouth and nonexistent with taking it back.

Anyway, as I say, I don't really expect to achieve anything with this, but I needed to rant somewhere, and I'm afraid here is it.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Normal people ??? no such thing...

I used to work with a woman who would run into the stock room everytime a disabled or elderly person came into the shop.. Thick as a plank !

People are like monkeys ..if they dont understand or are scared by something they poke it with a stick , bash it a bit and then run away..
Have pity on the poor stupid undeveloped monkey people, in a few generations their offspring may have developed the brain cells needed to cope with new or different situations..

Until then the best you can do is to ignore them...

·
Administrator
35,983 Posts
Carly you do the most fantastic job with your cats and kittens - all the photos that GolgothaTramp has put on here is evidence of that as if Gabby's recent win wasn't :thumbup:
Some people are just ignorant and pathetic and I don't blame you at all for having a good rant :mad:
I am sure you must be absolutely capable of doing your job or you wouldn't be employed - how dare these people think they can treat you with such disrespect :mad:
You have my admiration - please don't let the ignorance of others get you down.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Your post moved me to tears - I havent been a member on here very long but know that yours is a name that goes with great advice - you sound like an amazing person who has triumphed in the face of adversity. Those who chose to comment with negativity are small minded people with small unhappy lives - people are often a disappointment probably why we love our cats soo much.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Shame to hear that you are getting such a hard time at both work and shows!

I don't get people refusing to see you for physio simply because you can't see them - surely what you are doing with your hands and the instructions you are providing are what counts!? You'd think that they would be able to think the situation through but unfortunately it looks like you got a few jerks in a row. At least you know that you are good at your job if those who you have treated are requesting you.

As for breeding and grooming you know you are doing a wonderful job there too. People are always going to be jealous and clearly need to feel superior so will pick on any difference to put others below them. Take your wins and do you best to ignore the jibes and taunts, and enjoy those lovely fluffy chubby kittens.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I would have thought your physio skills would be better than that of a sighted person, because you would feel things they wouldn't notice. I can't believe people would whisper and mouth like children, and surely if people refuse to see you because of your disability, isn't that discrimination and against the law?

I had an argument with a cashier at Tesco garage because there was a woman at the pump who didn't know which button to press because she couldn't read. This damned cashier announced over the loudspeaker that she shouldn't be driving if she can't read. Of all the damned cheek! Why should she need to read to drive? As my son cannot read, I'm afraid she got the sharp end of my tongue.

Best you can do is take pride in your achievements and ignore the silly beggars.

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
I'm so angry reading your post Carly -- how dare those stupid ignorant people upset you!!! Who the heck do they think they are???? Creeps!!!

I understand completely how frustrating it must be for you, to have to cope with such ridiculous prejudiced nonsense not only at work, but also in the Cat Fancy World too. :mad: It really is too bad!

What I respect about you so much is the fact you are so "normal" in every way hun:) It is obvious you have never allowed your blindness to get in the way of what you wanted to do in life, and it has not stopped you achieving your goals, which you have done so successfully:).

It is how you are as a person.......how clever, interesting, thoughtful, warm and compassionate you are that makes you so lovable. The fact you are blind is incidental. :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I absolutely agree with Newfiesmum that as a blind person you'd be brilliant at physio. I can't believe these attitudes in this day and age. Did you know that the winner of this year's Masterchef USA was a blind chef? She was absolutely outstanding and when her recipe book comes out next year, I'm definitely going to buy it. Again, I think that being blind is an asset in this case because you can't get away with "oh it looks okay". It has to taste good and the palate would have to be so much more acute.
No wonder you had a rant. How utterly frustrating for you :(. I had absolutely no idea you were blind...

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Oh, Carly, I'm feeling so upset and angry for you- no wonder you need to vent your frustration!!

You are one of the people on this forum who I truly admire and I always like reading your posts. Your reply about the blind kitten last week was so incredibly moving and brought up things most people- myself included- would never have considered.

Your cats' health is not compromised in the slightest and you seem like a wonderful, ethical breeder. You're one of the best around, as far as I can see!

I do feel your frustration, however. As a support worker, I see so much discrimination it's untrue. People are so simple-minded! I try to find employment for people with learning disabilities and as soon as employers realise this is the case, suddenly they're not recruiting. And even if they take people on for work experience and give them glowing reports, the majority of companies do not employ my supportees in the long term. This leads to them being extremely down-hearted and there's no need for it!

The worst case was a girl I was working with who had Aspergers. When this was disclosed the manager asked me if it was contagious. He had no clue and I found her a placement elsewhere. And then there was another case where I was working with a man with Down's Syndrome. He was working in the stock room and wanted to be on the shop floor, dealing with customers. The manager's words were that he 'would put people off buying products', which led to me giving her my VERY angry piece of mind!!!

I know I went off on a tangent there, but I want you to know that I respect you very much- blind or not- and I wish you all the happiness you deserve. I feel for these tiny-minded souls as they're never going to find true happiness, being so critical about the best of us!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
The cat fancy (& general public) can be so utterly cruel.

Maybe this woman who is keen to tell you that you are so terrible for breeding should be told that if she spent as much time being a nasty vindictive gossiper on her kittens & show prep then maybe she wouldn't be so green with envy. :mad:

Maybe it would suit this woman if you did give up. Stick it to her & carry on doing a great job.

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, I wasn't expecting so many of you to read and respond. Thank you all so much for the kindness. It helps to hear it said that I'm not a cruel, heartless person for breeding. Normally I never really let the blindness enter into things, but there comes a point where, when you've had it from every direction, you've got to scream and shout about it. I never draw attention to it if I can help it as I don't see any reason to, so sorry for making such a big song and dance out of this. You've all made me cry!

I also love the monkey comments. Going to keep and use that one I think. It's so apt, and I'd never really looked at it that way before.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Sounds to me like jealously and ignorance which sadly too many people suffer from :( Ignore them Carly you are doing a fab job with your cats I'm sure you do with your work. Its a shame but many people seem to have a problem with others who they perceive are 'different'. I too have had to suffer in this respect as I have cyclothymia [which is a milder form of bipolar]. Once my best friend of many years standing heard this I never heard from her again!!

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
I'm seething for you Carly, so I can only imagine how you are feeling!

As someone who has personally met you, and who of course, has one of your adorable babies, it makes my blood boil that people can be so dam cruel! How dare they say you would put your babies at risk ..... I know through the many conversations we have how much you go out of your way to make sure each and every one of your kittens get exactly what they need. I know what you went through with little Apache in this litter, the care and dedication you show is beyond anything I have ever witnessed.

Stuff anyone who thinks you are blind means you are condemed to a life of sitting there twiddling your thumbs!! You live life to the full, I know how much you love showing and breeding, so dont you dare ever let these pathetic people ruin that for you!!

As for your job, stuff those ignorant people as well!!

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
In my experience when people behave in this way, there is NOTHING more annoying than them seeing that it has absolutely no effect on you whatsoever.

Unfortunately you cannot do much about the ignorance of some of your clients, but it seems that this person has spent a lot of time thinking about your situation to go to the bother of sending you the definition of a carer - wouldn't it be annoying for her if she thought you didn't care?

You gave me some very welcome advice about integrating Nancy into our household and I hope you don't let this get you down for long. Big Hugs.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I know you know my feelings about these "people" (I use the term loosely). You are an awesome person full of joy and love and I have never seen you as someone who needs any more help then any other person I've met in this world - it's just such a shame that some people are douches.

·
Registered
39,165 Posts
i totally agree with all the other members, there are some really pathetic people around, i like many members didnt know you was blind, and as said you do a cracking job with your gorgeous cats and kittens, sending you a hug Carly, as we all love and admire you,:)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.