Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fearful dog being handled with aversives

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leashedForLife, Apr 28, 2011.

1. leashedForLife

YouTube - Fearful Dog learns to relax

watch the dog's body-language: does Calvin truly seem to become more relaxed?
    what body signals make U think as U do? [whether yes or no]

does he seem to be fearful of more than only humans he does not know, & dogs?
    what does his reaction to the environment look like?
    does he react to sounds, wind blowing, sudden movement?...

2. Pheonix*Ella

Pheonix*Ella PetForums Junior

I'm only a novice but there is noooo way I'd pull a dog like that. I'm taking Phe for some on the lead training soon and I think we'd be straight off if the trainer started with that business!

ehhhh I didn't like watching it...very scared wasn't it.

I thought he looked sad at the end!

3. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

The dog failed to be asked out of the car in a relaxed calm disposition
    The trainer failed to give the dog an opportunity to 'relax and be' before moving onwards, it was dragged unwillingly.
    The dogs tail is a 'red flag' to a bull - if I saw a dog with a rigid tail like that coming at me I'd walk the other way.

(watched with no sound so can't comment on the sound elements)

4. leashedForLife

novice or no, U said just what i would - if someone tried to drag my dog about in that fashion, i'd have the leash back
    instantly and they'd get my poor opinion of their handling, verbally, in exchange. :p
    i found it quite depressing to watch, & yes, the dog looks depressed, too. :(
    it's a shame, there are ways to help scared dogs to develop some confidence, but dragging them round
    like a kiddie pull-toy is not one that seems destined for success. :confused:

5. leashedForLife

yes to all 3. :( poor fella.

6. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Horrible. The usual 'Dog Whisperer' types who think they are a different breed to everyone else.

At the end of the video, when the dog was with other dogs, he still wasn't relaxed. Always walked in large arcs around the other dogs, lots of displacement sniffing, stiff tail. When other dogs were around him, weight was immediately on the back foot and tried to escape and increase distance immediately. Very tense all round. Classic signs of a dog being pushed into a scenario and having no other option but to comply.

7. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

What is so sad about this stuff, is whilst the forceful "not taking no for an answer" stuff gratifies the "Whispherer's" own needs, simply being patient and calm doesn't take any longer as far as I can see.

Just caught up with the "It's a different breed" documentary, which featured Dimitri Yeremenov, he had far more attention from a whole load of dogs by taking cooperative rewards based approach. In fact he had far more control and dog attention than St Cesar, without any of the chaos and dominant behaviour predicted by Milangelists.

8. leashedForLife

ooh - Is this DVD, on-line, on BBC tv, or other? Never heard of it -
    does 'breed' refer to the dog or Dimitri? [guessing the latter, but ya never know].

9. RobD-BCactive

I found out about it here Stan Rawlinson Doglistener Dog Behaviourist, Trainer Training Behaviour it's fairly amusing, Stan with his bells looked quite eccentric, where as Dimitri said something like "people call many dogs aggressive, but you know... they're not, they just don't know what to do. If you train them a little, I find they're fine".

I guess it'll appear on youtube sometime, but he's in the book of records according to claim, for most dogs walked by one person (27), I thought they were showing up more forceful Dog Whisperers quite nicely.

Seems like his link may be diverted now.. there was an article on the show I read.

10. leashedForLife

darn. i Googled him without results, not under vids or even his name. :( another Dimitri came up in some silly
    sensationalist gossip-column thing, but it was not his surname.

11. leashedForLife

there's a picture, 'a different breed' on a banner, with a caption:
    "New TV Series
    There is a new series starting on Sky 1 on the 6th of April 8pm. Both my daughter and I have filmed for some time
    for this series - click on picture to read more"
    [[so it's a BBC program?]]
    clicking on the picture only brings up an advert on how to contact him. :rolleyes:

12. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Videos like this really disturb me.

NOONE would ever be allowed to do anything of that sort to my dog. I can't stand seeing frightened dogs being pulled that way.

13. Corinthian

Corinthian PetForums Member

The idea that the dog "ignores' the owner is part of the myth as well as the justification for the use of force. I wonder if this dog knows to associate a behavior with the word, but under stressful conditions the dog is literally incapable of responding.

At this point, the cortex has been taken out of play, which means the dog can't respond. It is also foolish since the only way to extinguish fear is to involve the cortex to mediate the amygdala and hippocampus.

14. leashedForLife

agreed - who knows if this dog even knows his name, under these circs - it's just noise; his over-riding focus
    is how to get the H*** outta here. :nonod:
    yup - when they are awash in panic, there is no way to get them thinking - they are simply feeling. :(

15. RobD-BCactive

Well it is not this guy Russian dog walker | My[confined]Space :D

Google turned this up http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/162010-anyone-watching-different-breed.html they mention a guy called Dima, but this is the link you really want dima yeremenko - Google Search. I had just watched it late & tired having had a long travelling day, so got his name somewhat wrong.

This is a clip, may be not available outside UK though http://video.sky.com/sky1/related/25011/A%20Different%20Breed%20Episode%203%20Video:%20The%20Dog%20Whisperer featuring extract of Dima in the programme. Funny thing is apparently there was a fuss on Pet Street forum and interview about allegations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7gb3s0vEO4, no wonder another so called "Dog Whisperer" was so hands off in his UK episodes. There's an anti-CM Leader of the Pack video which may be more accessible here http://vimeo.com/18790848.

#15 RobD-BCactive, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice