Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear related problem with murph

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SophieCyde, Nov 15, 2012.

1. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

Hi guys , we currently have a big problem with murphy and its got out of hand really :(

He is terrified of fireworks and ever since bonfire night he has basically refused to go for walks , even though there is no fireworks now and hasn't been for days , I've tried even carrying him away from home and letting him walk back just to get some exercise but he is getting himself into a right state shaking and panting to get away and choking himself on the lead :(

We took him out in the car today and he walked fine when we got out of town , until a birdscarer went off and he was back panicking and really shaking , pulled all the way back to the car :( Its really distressing to watch him do it and he usually loves his walks as well , its really bad he won't even go out of the door and point blank refuses to walk away from the house

At home he's fine , eating drinking and going out in the garden as usual its just going anyway except from that

does anyone have any ideas how to help get him over this because I really don't want to make things worse but we need to get over this :(:(:(

thank you xxx

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thundershirt? Worked with Kenzie when she got all barky at fireworks. Might just take the edge off his anxiety :)

3. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

I'll have a look at them , thank you :)

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Whilst you are getting him used to going out again an adaptil collar may help they also do diffusers for in the house, but the collars are better as they can wear them all the time. Kobi goes to pieces with fireworks and I always get a diffuser plus he wears a collar too and it made a huge difference.
    Adaptil helps dogs and puppys learn settle travel and in kennels

You can get them in vets and I think pets at home do them or they used too but I got mine from vet medic much cheaper, but shop around you may get them cheaper still
    www.vet-medic.com

Another natural calmative thats had good results too is zylkene they are capsules made from casein a protein found in milk so quite safe and you can use those as well. Again you can get them in vets but cheaper on line, the above link does those as well and you can get them in packs as small as 8 or maybe 10, so you could trial them first to see before buying a large pack
    Zylkène - For life's ups and downs

Other then that if you can at first I would try to take him places for walks in the car that are quiet for a little while, he likely has an association with the surrounding area and the bangs and crashes he wont have elsewhere. Also as its quiet places too, he should start to relax and enjoy his walks again, and then try to walk locally.

5. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

We have this with Remy every year, normally he turns to Oscar for some reassurence so this year is going to be worse than ever.

One year after a child threw fireworks at us he didnt poo for over 24 hours and wouldnt walk into the park for more than a week he got to the entrance and then panicked...

Last year at the beginning of the fireworks ( boxing day) until they finished (2 jan) I took the dogs by car to an industrial estate to walk 3 times a day ...Lots of wide grass verges no people and no fireworks close by...
    The fact that the explosions were still heard but much fainter seemed to calm Remy a lot and he walked much better..
    After new year when the fireworks stopped we went back to our normal route and he was fine.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Will he not walk in the daytime? I can understand dogs not wanting to go out after dusk.

I gave daily doses of Zylkene to both my dogs for about a fortnight leading up to bonfire night, and it really made them much calmer. Even after I stopped it, the few fireworks that still go off don't seem to bother them.

The thundershirt helps too; Ziggy, who is worse affected, has one of those as well.

7. SophieCyde

SophieCyde PetForums VIP

he will go out reluctantly during the day but he still seems to just be worried , not enjoying his walks as usual.

8. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

Try replacing the fear with reward. scatter treats on the ground as he is leaving the house get him to follow them out the house building the amount of time spent outside. When something scary happens quickly distract with some well rehearsed obedience training and high value treat. It worked with E's fear of horses.
    We dropped roast chicken (lots) on the floor before, during and after a horse field. Built up to spending time eating treats near a horse field. Eventually she is able to look more with curiosity with them. Not managed this in the car yet.

It might take some time don't rush it but he will get there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice