Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear of spiders

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Horse and Hound, Aug 13, 2010.

1. ameliajane

ameliajane PetForums VIP

I got so fed up of my spider phobia i tried hypnotherapy. It hasn't got rid of the fear completely but i no longer feel the world has come to an end when i see large house spiders, i can now just ignore them and get on with what i'm doing, although if one runs at me i still panic a bit.

BUT... it's made me absolutely adore smaller spiders :p - the ground/wolf/hunting type spiders (no idea what they're called really) you commonly see on dry ground in the UK.

Whenever i see one i just have to stop and pick it up! They are adorable! And baby harvestmen too! And i get a bit obsessive over touching any spider webs i see too.

It's all a bit weird because it's slightly obsessive and i really didn't like them before - especially the harvestmen and sticky spiderwebs were horrible.

Anyone else tried hypnotherapy?

2. Vidobi04

Vidobi04 PetForums Junior

I have night terrors about them. I will be half awake and can see them crawling all over my bed and Walls. When I then jump put of bed I realise they aren't actually there. Scares the he'll out of me though. I do not like small spiders or house spiders at all. Strangely enough terantulas don't really bother me to look at on the television or Internet etc.

3. Zanki

Zanki PetForums Member

I found out half the people at work have a fear of spiders yesterday. Some guys brought in a huge TV to sell, I saw the large spider in the box and decided to get rid of it before someone squashed it. I picked it up with a piece of paper and it charged at my hand. Half the people I worked with ran away from me and what they where doing at the tills. I just calmly took it outside, amused by the thing trying to get to my hand. The thing was fast and I haven't seen one like it before. I feel sorry for all of you who are scared of them. I have a thing about milipeeds and centipeeds thanks to coming home from a field trip once and when I got changed three fell out of my clothes. That really freaked me out. I don't scream and run from them, but I refuse to pick them up even though I'm fine with everything apart from wasps and bees which is understandable.

4. Vicampo

Vicampo PetForums Newbie

What species is that?

I used to be terrified of spiders up until 8 months ago. Now I have 11 tarantulas. :)

5. DCSB

DCSB PetForums Newbie

I hate spiders. I'm terrified. Even the little tiny ones! they just really freak me out. I have had more than one experience of them crawlin in my bed ugh that grossed me out, I had to sleep in the other room for a week! -_- and once a load of baby ones floated into my room and in all my drawers! again I had to wash all my clothed and disinfect the drawers haha :D wish I wasn't scared but thats how it is. I have tried to face the phobia but can't bring myself to do it.

6. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

So I am reading this thread, hoping to get some clues on how to cure my spider phobia, when I see a bloody big hairy 8 legged thing climb behind the blind :eek:

I can't see it right now, so I can go to bed (at the other end of my boat) and know it is 70 feet away from me - any closer and I would be ringing friends to see if they had a place on a sofa :blush2:

I would be happy for some one-on-one therapy to cure my phobia - although I did pretty good not passing it on to my son - he laughs at me before rescuing me when he comes to visit!

7. cattygirl

cattygirl PetForums Newbie

I've slept in the car before now because of a spider in the house!!!!
    How pathetic is that?
    That's a rhetorical question by the way :rolleyes:

8. malibu

malibu Guest

I am petrified of them, even seeing photo's creep me out..

9. art81

art81 PetForums Newbie

hi all hope you are all well and so are your furry and none furrry friends. I had a very bad fear of spiders after being bitten by one when i was 12, i now have two chille roses lol and the fear has gone. i overcame it in the petshop when it was handed to me !!!!!!!!!!! that did the trick , not that i sugest anyone does the same .:eek:

10. emmar

emmar PetForums Senior

:scared: :scared: omg!! thats huge

11. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

i knew i shouldnt have entered this part of the forum :nonod::hand::eek:

im absoloutly terried of spiders, i dont dis-like them , i know they are harmless(most of them) so dont like to hurt them :nonod:

you know its strange because i actually like the BIG spiders and the very small ones too!

its the in-betweeny ones that terrify me! the one with the spiked legs and fat bodies?:cryin: or the ones with tiny bodies and massive long legs!!

12. art81

art81 PetForums Newbie

I dont blame you if you dont like spiders whatever shap or size , i was terified of the little critters but after gettin the first one (SAM) i overcame the fear and now i have three also some friends of mine have held them an overcame there fear could be worth a try if you are feeling brave !!! :D yours phil

13. DP21

DP21 PetForums Newbie

If it helps, here are some facts about tarantulas and spiders

Tarantula's

"Their bodies are carpeted with chemosensitive bristles that provide something analogous to a combined sense of taste and smell"

"bristles that are not chemosensors are extremely sensitive to sound, especially in the lower frequencies, and courser vibrations like those produced by moving prey"

"Many tarantulas, especially the arboreals, apparently have pretty good vision, and have been observed turning to follow moving prey on a neighboring branch for instance"

"tarantulas are ambush predators"

"Tarantula's natural defences are to run and hide, or when cornered will more than likely take anouther course of action, such as rearing up in a threat posture, biteing, flicking urticating hairs, or shooting poop at you. In the cases were they immediatly rear up, or try to bite, it is a case of the threat to there instincts being based upon the level of threat at the time"

"Tarantula bites can not kill you. The pain from a tarantula bite is often compared to a bee sting, this is far from the truth for the following reasons...

A) Everyone reacts diffrent to there venom

B) Some tarantula bites dont even come close to a bee sting, were as others are far far worse. The worst report from a tarantula bite was from an old world tarantula, the tarantula's in question are called "Feather legged baboon", and "Fringed ornamental". The fringed ornamental left somone in severe pain and swears, that the body reacted to protect it self, by going into a comer. The comer lasted 48 hours.... The feather legged baboon, bit a native on the neck, making his neck swell and almost cutting off his air supply. The least effective bite reports, No feeling what so ever from a bite from an Metallic pink toe, and a relaxing feeling, were the mucles become loose and limp from a Guyana pink toe bite. Infact i remember when i had one having ago at me, and bit me several times. I sat there saying "awwww, are we angry today"... No effects from the bite what so ever."

Theres many more to add here, but non the less, in short.... Tarantulas and spiders, is basically instinct on legs. They mean you no harm, and wont on the condition you mean them no harm.

For example, black widow bites, never happen unless A) accidental B) a purpose move on our part... Meaning that more than 50% of bites from a black widow is down to us attacking them, rather than accidental bites, such as putting on a glove.... Infact Black widows are VERY docile spiders.

Spiders

Spiders are more or less the same, but with few diffrences, such as all tarantulas have retracting claws, were as not every spider does. And the venom on quiet a few spiders can cause severe damage, or fatality. Tarantulas fangs move up and down, were as spiders fangs move from side to side (with the exeption of a few small selection). And ofcourse the obviouse, tarantulas are much larger than spiders (again with a few exeptions to the dwarf tarantulas).

And as much as i can fill in more in, i wont, as there are a few facts here that would make you go insane at pressent. BUT this may be off some comfort, the venom milked from these animals are going to good use when it comes to medicen's, i believe they recently made a very powerful pain killer from the venoms, that is more powerful and safer than the pain killers we have to date. Still being tested ofcourse. And something interesting to add, Tarantula silk (webbing) is much much stronger than the materials used in a bullet proof jacket. And according to science (which is currently under testing) when you put the web on a gash, or cut, it heals much faster, and makes that area much much more stronger, and tougher. As the web and skin heal together, making you become tougher skinned.

Hope this comes as some relief, again they mean you no harm, and are very benaficial when it comes to new medicens, and other area's.

14. Shingara

Shingara PetForums Junior

spiders scare me to death, i cant even watch them on tv im that bad :thumbup1: sufice to say my dog has learned to attack them lol. dont ask me how she knows to attack them but she sure does.

Stems back to when i was about 11 years old and a kid down my street kept spiders, one day his dog ran in and whacked the table with all the containers on and all the spiders he had got out and they were freaking huge and sprinted to every corner of the room bar one that ran at me. since then i cant even stand them.

BTW has anyone else noticed they sneak up on you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice