Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear of spiders

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Horse and Hound, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

Erm ... I was hoping you wouldn't ask that question.

2. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

:eek:Tell me Tell me :scared:

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

It stays in the house :scared: :scared:

4. Lulu's owner

I'm glad it was you who broke that news and not me, I just didn't have the heart.:)

5. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

Your all a bunch of sissys! :p

6. Lulu's owner

Gosh, you must have been such a loss to the Samaritans!:)

7. sunzstan

sunzstan PetForums VIP

i dont like spiders too.

found this in my living room :scared:

Attached Files:

8. Nithnell

Nithnell PetForums Senior

ugh don't, one a similar size to that had the audacity to crawl across my shoulder when i was in the bath a couple of days ago:eek::eek::eek::eek6:
    since we moved to the new house, which is a big georgian farmhouse near a river, i've had OH remove countless of them :(

9. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

lol. I am chief morale officer! :lol:

10. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

oh god, worse enough talking about them, but no more pics.
    michelle xx

11. thatspicegirl

thatspicegirl PetForums Junior

I'm not sure what it even is about spiders that terrify the life out of me (and a lot of us). Is it the way they look? Or the thought of their millions of legs crawling all over us? The fact they can be crawling on us and we might have no idea? AH! I dunno!

I'm not sure if I could handle holding someone's tarantula... I'm sure EVENTUALLY you could persuade me, as long as you guaranteed he wasn't gonna bite me <_<

12. GiddyKipper

GiddyKipper PetForums Member

Urgh guys, I feel your pain. Your horror stories have given me goosebumps, and the arachnid-twitch (You know, when you see a dark smudge in the corner of your eye somewhere and just HAVE to jolt back to see if it's 8-legged ><

And what does my head in is when you'll be sat watching TV or reading, and one will just SAUNTER ACROSS THE LIVING ROOM FLOOR as if it owned the place! :eek: Cheeky little sods. "Don't mind me, I just pay the rent so you can loiter and scare me witless. Don't worry about it spidey!" ;)

13. MalaysiaPets

MalaysiaPets PetForums Newbie

I'm ok with spiders and scorpions, but centipedes creep me out. Here, we have Malaysian Earth Tiger spiders which are found in the rainforests here. :blink:

Those foot long centipedes are what I don't like to come across when I go hiking. :sleep:

14. lkm

lkm PetForums Newbie

I had an irrational fear of spiders all my life, they could be as little as my finger nail and I just couldn't handle it.

I had kids and kept telling myself over and over, they cannot hurt me, etc. Convincing myself they are not so bad. I didn't want to pass my fear onto them. The boys are now 7 and 8 and I don't think they know I am scared of spiders. I can now tollerate ones that are a few cms in size or a bit bigger. I can get close to big ones, well a metre close, lol, but that is a huge acheivement of what I used to be like.

I however don't think I could have one of those tarantulas walking on me though =(, I don't think I could bring myself to try it.

15. Houseofpets

Houseofpets PetForums Member

We did some gardening in my late Mothers garden yesterday and had to bring the garden waste with us - I was apprehensive of this as I knew somewhere it would contain spiders! A couple of miles down the road my worst fear came true, just above my Husbands head (he was driving) was a spider - had he not been travelling at 60mph I would literally of got out. It took him about 3 mins to find somewhere safe to stop and by the time he did, I felt sick, was cold, had goosebumps and fell out the door in my haste to get out!

Even after he got 'rid' of the spider I refused to get back in until I had scanned every inch of the car! I was more than happy to make the rest of the 30 mile journey on foot, him to head to the tip, go home pick my car up (which is spider free) and then meet me somewhere along the route! This wasn't an acceptable option to him so I had to get back in but it was beyond me to hold a conversation with him as I was sooooo scared of finding another one and spent the rest of the journey looking for them!

I know they don't hurt you but I still can't get over this irrational fear of them! :cryin:

16. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I've got to ask!, why are all you Arachnophobes on the Spider and Inverts part of the Forum? lol. wayne.

17. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

They are confronting their fears! :lol:

[​IMG]

18. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't say I hate spiders but I am fairly scared of them. It's apparently a learnt behaviour (thanks mum). I can do the teeny ones, and for some reason I don't find tarantulas as bad as spiders you can find around the house. Yes, I did twitch when I saw the piccies of the pet one there, but like the one sitting on the ceiling, those really get to me and freak me the hell out. It's the fat body and the icky legs that do it. My OH is Portuguese and we went to stay at his mums, who lived back then up in the mountains. The lower ground floor was a bedroom and bathroom, and believe you me I HATED every minute spent in there, I barely slept for the full two weeks. My OH convinced me to watch a dvd so we snuggled up under the duvet and popped the dvd on. I felt something on my leg, but thought it was the duvet. Felt it again, gulped, lifted up the duvet and there was a spider with a body about an inch and a half long, a half inch wide, with long icky legs. Needless to say I pretty much had a heart attack.

Even though I find the thought of a tarantula a bit icky, I could for some reason probably accept it. I don't know why considering they are bigger and furrier than the ones you find around the house :p I guess they just look different?

19. Tarnus

Tarnus PetForums VIP

I've slowly managed to learn to tolerate the little gigs. If it stays out of my way then I stay out of it's way. If it's small enough and in the house it can disappear by itself fine, if I decide it is too big then it must be removed!

Thought some of you might like an official guide to spiders: SPIDERS!

20. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:eek: They're wonderful :( They're fascinating, beautiful little critters xxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice