Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear of spiders

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Horse and Hound, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I am petrified of the 8 legged creatures and would like some advice, if any, on how I can get over this.

The reason is I woke up when I was 4 with one on my face and ever since then they really, REALLY freak me out, to the point of if one is in the room and it hides, my OH has to tear the room apart to find it and then put it outside.

I'd like to be able to be in a house, on my own, and deal with it if one walks in.

I also have horses, so his stable can be an issue when there's cobwebs in the corners!

:eek:

2. MissBethM

MissBethM PetForums Senior

I had a similar experience when I was younger...woke up with a huge spider on the wall right in front of my face. I shot out of bed and wouldn't go back to my room till the offending spider was removed and put outside!!

I have been terrified ever since. I know it's an irrational fear but doesn't feel irrational when I spot one in the house, I freeze with terror (yes it sounds rather pathetic) x

3. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Bobby ate 1 this morning left legs for me to clean up :eek:

4. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I've been scared of them for most of my life but becoming a keen gardener has helped because you come across so many that eventually you just become used to them, though it's actually taken me many years so that's maybe not the most practical solution.

Have you come across those little vacuum cleaner type tubes for humanely catching spiders? Lakeland sell them and I guess someone with a mild phobia could bring themselves to use one but not if it's a really bad fear.

5. MissBethM

MissBethM PetForums Senior

I probably should invest in one of those vacuum's! If it can be done, I will try and capture the spider and release the little critter unharmed, usually in a glass! I don't like killing things, it's not their fault I'm terrified of them ;)

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im not keen on ones that run across any part of me! There is a cute stripey fat bottomed one that has strung its web across where my bins are. I keep going out and getting a faceful of web and spider!!:D
    Although the local pet shop has a mega cute tarantula in at the mo.;)

7. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I can't get near them in a glass. I'm petrified.

If one is in a room, and I can see it, I can't rest until its moved/gotten rid of.

8. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I've got the Same phobia...I used to own horses I used to get a long handled Brush Swipe the Cobwebs in the Stable And ........RUN for my Life...Stable life X a Spider phobia do not go well :(

I've also got a phobia of Daddylonglegs To me thay ARE Flying Spiders that can get you Quicker.:(

9. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

I keep tarantulas. Anyone wishing to have a one2one session on arachnophobia is more then welcome :)

Just let me know when, and I'll tell you if I'm free :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#9 Jamie, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Aww, fluffy!:D I am so getting a Tarantula one day.
    But I still have no urge to pick it up or have it crawl over me, Id be more then happy just to watch it.:)

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hey hun i can't help you. I was diagnosed with Arachnophobia at a very young age! If i ever come across one i either: 1. Freeze, sweat, shake and cry. 2. Scream, freeze and have irregular breathing for a long time after! Or all of them :eek:

That and others i was diagnosed as phobic :frown: i seem to add different fears all the time though. I just hope they never make full on phobias :(

12. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

ARRGGGGHHHHHH Just Seen that pic of the Trantula....:eek::eek::eek:

Even that gave me Goosebumps I've gone really cold now.

Happened to me this morning feeding my Guinea pigs A Big Cobweb in the corner of the hutch I got a Trowel to get it out...Nearest thing to hand....

A massive Spider ran out. ARRGGHHHH Why are they getting BIGGER?..

I had to come in grab a coffee/Cigarette and Calm down I'll be scared to go back to the bloody hutch now :(:(:( Hope it did'nt follow me into the house :(

13. harrys_mum

harrys_mum PetForums VIP

im the same, i was scared when young by my sisters and couldnt even stay in the room with a spider.
    i have to have someone come and remove fromthe room if there is one.
    as long as i dont see one im ok.
    michelle xx

14. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Can't even Bare to open that link....ARRGGHHHHHHHH Sorry I never Could get to love them...They scare the hell out of me :(:eek:

15. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

Aargh, I'm terrified too! It's really frustrating because I'm an otherwise very rational person!

I once had to go knocking on all my neighbours' doors (neighbours I didn't know!) to find someone who was in to help me, because I'd turned the kitchen tap on hard, then looked down and seen a MASSIVE spider squatting in the sink (and I mean M A S S I V E) - I jumped right back involuntarily, and just couldn't get back to the tap to turn it off, I really couldn't. It was awful - sweating, shaking and crying at the patheticness of it all, while the water shot out... (the spider was so bloody big it didn't budge)

I eventually found a neighbour who was in, and he brought his 4 year-old daughter round to get the spider out for me so I could turn the tap off. HUMILIATION.

The image of that spider - huge bloated brown body and enormous legs all crooked, stretched over the whole of the bowl of the sink still makes my heart thump, and it was about a decade ago!

16. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

As for getting over your phobia They say Hypnotherpy is really good.

17. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I was Brave enough to open the Link The pic of all those legs made me feel abit Queesy...I was ok with the reading UNTIL................I got to the bit where they like to hide in SHOE'S :eek::scared: Is too cold to start walking Bare-footed :scared::scared:

Wear can you buy WINTER SANDELS.

18. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

Can I just remind people who are scared of spiders that they sometimes get trapped in sinks and baths because of the smooth sides and they don't want to be in there any more than you want them there. I hang a long piece of toilet paper dangling over both sides of the bath, go away for a few hours and when I come back the spider has invariably gone away as the paper has given it something to get a grip on to climb out. You don't need to have any contact with the creature at all and it's totally humane.

19. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

That's a really good idea. It is sometimes difficult to think from the spider's point of view when you're petrified, so this is a good bit of advice to remember! :)

20. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Thats a good idea...But I'd want to know WHERE IT IS after it's got out of the Bath.....

Funny Story about baths well it was'nt at the time My Parents had a Brown Bathroom Suite YES You can guess where this is going :eek:

I filled the bath up sttled down to have a good relaxing soak with my book And a few minutes lates A Bloody Huge Spider Floated under my CHIN ...I nearly had a bloody Heart Attack I Screamed Blue Murder jumped out of the bath...mum and dad came flying up the stairs thinking I'd had an accident or something....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice