Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fear of dogs help?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by MrRustyRead, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MrRustyRead

MrRustyRead PetForums VIP

the main reason behind me not being allowed a dog is that my mum and sister have a fear of dogs. so the more i think about it the more i want them to combat it, but they only way i can think of is hypnosis. do any of you know of alternative methods?

2. GummyMarmite

GummyMarmite PetForums Junior

A simpler cheaper idea would be to persuade them to meet some dogs in a safe environment where they are in control of the situation and can back away if they feel frightened. Do you have any friends who have a dog that you can get your Mum and Sister to meet at a pub / park or anywhere where they can get exposure to the dog but still be able to get away?

But you may find that are unwilling to do the above, and just really don't want a dog and using fear as an excuse, in which case I suggest you save up and get one when you move out in the future! That was what I did, waited until my early thirties when I was settled with a home, wife etc and could comfortably afford all the costs that come with a dog, also by that stage the party life style had worn thin and I had plenty of time to commit too:D

3. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Unfortunately its best if every one in a household actually wants a dog - they make a mess, cause inconvenience etc and it will just lead to arguments if some never wanted one in the first please.

Sorry :(

4. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

if your mum and sister are afraid of dogs then it is not really fair to get a dog. how would you feel if you were being pressured into being around/having something living with you that you were afraid of? :(

best wait until you have your own place before getting a pooch.

5. MrRustyRead

thats why i want to help them, so that when i do eventually have a dog in the future they will feel comfortable coming round with it there.

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Right, story time!

About a year and a half ago I met my very good friend 'L'. She is also one of my neighbours, so I'm very lucky :)

L was very scared of dogs. For the first six months or so I would pop the dogs in their room when she came over for coffee, she comes over about twice a week. I would let her know when I was going to let them out for a quick wee so she could escape to the kitchen and be 'safe' from them. Gradually she stopped leaving the room when they went to the loo. Even more gradually she was ok with them not being shut in their room, though I would put them away whenever they got too restless or interested in her.

She knew I wasn't going to force her into contact with them, and she got to know them very slowly, we spoke a lot about their different personalities and quirks and she very slowly came to like them. Then she started coming on walks with me and the dogs, and over the last few months she has amazingly reached the stage where she is happy to pop in to let them out for the loo in the middle of the day when I am away, and walk them with her partner if he is around.

She needed to go at her own pace, I didn't force anything. If she never got used to them that would have been ok, but it's lovely being able to share their loveliness with her :)

7. MrRustyRead

the main dog i walk is very excitable so i need to realistically find a placid dog that will allow them to go up to the dog when they want to and not the dog run up and demand attention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice