Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear bitting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by whatarascal, Apr 26, 2011.

1. whatarascal

whatarascal PetForums Newbie

Hi people I have a 9 year old Lakeland terrier who attacks other dogs he bites and wont let go.
    He is a rescue dog from Battersey,when we first met him he was around a year old and seemed ok we took our older bitch to meet him and the meeting went ok with no aparent issues.
    He was also shown cats and again no issues.
    We took him home and our two cats seemed to assume a superior role and he took no notice of them.
    His initial meetings with other dogs were promising running chasing play bowing all seemed well.
    Around a year after we got him a mate of mine visited with his Boxer dog the boxer stomped him and he fought back.
    This was the start of it,around a month later I was talking to a neighbour and his Collie bit him on the ear drawing blood he latched on to the Collie and the rest is history.
    I have tried correction collars using spray and shock.
    Spray dosent work shock is cruel and I couldnt carry on with it.
    Gradually over the years we have taken him further and further from habitation so as to allow him free time off the lead so now he is only close to our other dog.
    However there is always the chance that someone will appear from behind the next bush and when they do he immediately goes into attack mode.
    I dont think there is any phsycological help to give to stop this behavior.
    I feel the only thing to do is use a muzzle when he is off the lead.
    I bought a mesh muzzle but I think these are not a good ideah as the dog cant pant so its in the bin.
    I also tried a plastic baskerville muzzle but the fit wasnt the best.
    I have been trying to obtain a wire basket type muzzle that will allow him to pant.
    Found some on an American site but would prefer to buy from the UK.
    Does anyone know where I could purchase such a muzzle.
    Sorry for the length of the post but needed to explain my reasons for resorting to this.

2. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

Wow, you sound like you've been suffering with this problem for a number of years!

Have you had any help from a qualified behaviourist using positive methods? This behaviour is probably quite well ingrained now, but that's not to say that you can't help build a better association with other dogs again.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

4. whatarascal

whatarascal PetForums Newbie

£30 an hour is a bit rich for me.
    He would need one on one attention.
    I live on a fixed income and money dont go round so well

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I know it was a long time ago, but you got your dog from Battersea; have you tried contacting them for behavioural help?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice