Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear agression...?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sashadog, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sashadog

Sashadog PetForums Member

Hi my little crossbreed bitch(we think collie x lurcher type x springer) For the past 6 months has started growling at dogs she doesn't know. She used to be such a lovely pup, everyone who met her instantly loved her to bits, but now whenever a new dog enters the park we have to put her on lead for fear of another fight.

After a long think we realised that it probably came from her being attacked by a pair of horrible staffies who came hurtling towards us and attacked her when she was little. They are vicious and have attacked many other dogs in their time. They haven't been seen for a while, and one is ok - the leader may have been put down or something. Anyway now any dog that she has met after that instant has been growled at if they come near. If they ignore her warning and try to sniff her (she is very uncomfortable being sniffed for some reason, even if it's by a dog she knows:confused:) she will try to attack them. She will definately attack a dog which runs at her at speed, whether she knows them or not.

The other day, a lovely little puppy came over playfully trying to say hello and she went for him completely, snarling at lunging for his neck. He ran whimpering back to his owner but this seemed to have angered his huge (almost definately part pitbull) big brother....i'll just say thank god shes so fast otherwise she would have been done for. I was not at all angry with the other dog's owners and apologised to them profusely for her behaviour. The big pitbull type went back to his owner when called and was not at all agressive to us or his owner.

It can't go on like this:frown2: any suggestions, She is unspayed, if that matters, and will remain so. Don't try and persuade me; this thread isn't for that.

2. Sashadog

bump...need reply asap

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Maybe post this in the Training and Behaviour section - lots of knowledgeable people in there.

4. Sashadog

ok thanks, i'll try and move t.

5. Sashadog

Ok i don't know how to move it but will post it again there.

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Are there any dogs she's OK with, will interact with calmly, and play with?

Is there anyone you know who has a calm dog she could walk with? It could give her more confidence.

She should be muzzled and on lead if she attacks other dogs, even if they run over to her out of their owner's control.

Apart from that, I can only suggest a behaviourist for a proper assessment. Maybe she reacts before reading the body language of the other dogs, and needs help to stop and understand what their intentions are.

How old is she, and how long has this been going on?

7. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Did the Staffs actually attack her? as in bite, pin etc, or did they just race up they can be an over the top breed- not an excuse. I also imagine that the other dog you speak of is NOT part pitbull at all if you are in the UK

Sounds like she does not like rude dogs approaching her (running over full pelt, intrusive sniffing)- cant say I blame her. Get the book control unleashed and try and put not to put her in the position where she feels the need to have a go at other dogs.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Just because pitbulls are illegal, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of them about. I see them every few weeks round here - and there's nothing wrong with any I've met with my dogs so far.
    It's not policed. Same as people using their mobiles whilst driving.

9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Hmmm dont buy it myself True American Pitbulls look nothing like most of the crossbreeds who look a pit pitbullish in the right light that people "think" are Pits.

10. Sashadog

1. All of the dogs shes met before the attack shes ok with.

2. Yes, they properly attacked her. Shook her like a toy - it was horrible.

3. Not sure if contacting a behaviourist is possile in our current situation. Recession and all that.

4. She is now 2, has been doing this since she was roughly one and a little bit.

This isn't about pitbulls. No offence but could weconcentrate on this please? its pretty urgent.

11. Sashadog

bump......

12. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Its pretty urgent but instead of calling a behaviourist, taking her to a training class, reading books on behaviour- you go just on an internet forum (who cant see the dog, have never met her), then get grumpy when you dont get "this will fix it responses"- yeah ok. My advise still stands buy the book Control Unleashed- clicker train her- use the look at that game

13. Sashadog

shes too wild for training classes and would most likely attack the other dogs there. She caused havoc at her puppy classes because she was too wild, rnning around in circles and knocking things over. She won't 'look at that' either - when there's another dog around, she'll be focused on them. Clicker training with her is useless, we tried it before.

I came here for a suggestion from someone with experience, and would in my current situation like to avoid pricey behaviourists. It's simply not possilble right now.

#13 Sashadog, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's a problem that can't be solved easily by advice on the internet.

You could try desensitising her to new dogs by keeping her attention on you when the new dogs are some distance away, using treats, gradually decreasing the distance.

You could try her in a small, controlled training group situation. You'd have to check it out before taking her, and make sure the trainers knew what the issue is.

If insured, you might be able to get a referral to a behaviourist via your vet, that would be covered by your insurance. Check your policy if you have one.

15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Then she definitely needs some training!!!!

16. Sashadog

believe me, we've tried!!!! we've got her where we want her now, apart fom this, of course, but training classes may also be too expensive anyway.

17. Sashadog

do you think i should give her a treat whenevershe sees another dog, so she assosiates them with good things?

18. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

I mean no ill will, but if you want free help you really are being rather rude and abrasive.
    Is your attitude tense and aggressive when you walk your dog too?

19. Sashadog

Not really, thats when i'm most relaxed. Someone else (confident around other dogs) walked her while we were away - growled then too.

20. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

yes, as long as she stays calm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice