Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fear aggressive Chihuahuas

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by thedogwalker1, Aug 25, 2018.

1. thedogwalker1

thedogwalker1 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys, I currently run my own dog walking and pet sitting business. I started out 6 months ago and it has been a slow process. My first ever client was 2 chihuahuas, they are lovely and their owner has stuck by me through my time building up my business.

My problem is - the 2 dogs are extremely anxious around other dogs and are very reactive. If they see or are near another dog they lunge towards them and bark, showing their teeth and curl their body around with their back up while running towards the other dogs. Their owner told me that they are fine with other dogs but they just like to bark. I quickly found out this was not the case soon after taking them on. I am still very quiet so luckily I have managed to plan my walks so that they get walked solo before/after my group walks.
    I am beginning to get busier and majority of the time I am needed at midday. The owner of the chihuahuas has wanted me at midday too and she isn't very flexible.

I would just like peoples advice on what you think I should do? Whether to ultimately say I can no longer walk them anymore, or try and stretch myself and offer solo walks at times the owner probably isn't happy with? Long term - solo walks aren't the best service for me to give if I want to have a profitable business but It's not ideal having to give up a client.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my ramble!

2. Alfiemummy

Alfiemummy PetForums Newbie

Without seeing their actual behaviour it's hard to say what the best option would be.
    I have a client with two jack russells that absolutely can't meet or walk with any other dogs at all, but luckily for me I don't walk them on a super regular basis so I just fit them in if I can and on days when I'm really busy she has to make do with a short toilet break rather than a full walk (which she's fine with). If I eventually get so busy that I could never walk them at all then I would have to drop her as a client, but their walks are so infrequent that it wouldn't really be a huge loss to me.

I have another client with a cross breed that is very antisocial around any dogs we see while on a walk (barking, lunging and just going generally mental) - however she is fine with any dogs that I'm in control of (once she gets used to them). I started just by introducing her to my own dog who is very uninterested in other dogs and would just ignore her, then gradually introduced her to other client dogs with the same sort of calm temperament. She can now walk with pretty much any dog I want to introduce her to so long as it's not too excitable.
    I first started off walking her solo when I didn't have a lot of clients but as I got busier I had the same dilemma as you, it turned out she wasn't actually aggressive just very nervous and doesn't seem to know how to behave so she just goes crazy. Her owner was keen for me to try and work with her to get her used to group walks, and I was keen to keep her as a client as she is a regular 5 days a week, so I'm glad it worked out as everyone is happy now.
    This may be possible with your two chihuahuas, however I imagine it will be harder for you to introduce them to other dogs like I did as there are two of them and they are likely to egg each other on.

3. thedogwalker1

thedogwalker1 PetForums Newbie

Haha yes they do indeed egg eachother on. Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. I'm glad you managed to keep the crossbreed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice