Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fatty tumour

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Sophie_xxx, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Sophie_xxx

Sophie_xxx PetForums Member

Hi guys,

Thelma my oldest rat (2 Years 4 months) has a tumour in between her 2 front legs on her chest and I'm not sure what to do about it. I took her to the vets when I first noticed it just before Christmas , when at the time it was a bit bigger than a pea. The vet said it felt like a fatty tumour and unless it grows rapidly then to just leave her for the time being.

After 4/5 months, it is now the size of a large grape. She is still eating and it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, she is still quite lively for a 2 and a half year old ratty. I don't think the vet would operate anyway because of her age, but is there any way to reduce the size? Or is it a case of just having her PTS when it's too big? I feel horrible letting it grow :(

I don't think it's a nasty tumour because it's taken this long to grow, her sister had a tumour which grew to the size of a golf ball within a week!

Any advice?
    Thanks

2. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Sounds like it's not bothering her too much :) And she's gone a good long while with it slowly growing, I'd leave it - it'll be a good while before it's so big it starts getting in her way I think.

I found the beginnings of a fatty tumour on my Hugo around the end of October/November time, and by January, it still wasnt too much bigger, but his health deteriorated and other things took hold rather than the tumour itself, so I don't think the 'fatty' ones really bother them that much.

I think it would be kinder to just let her live out the rest of her life and have a good old age with lots of cuddles and low-fat treats, til it's time to go, that's the best gift you could give her <3

3. Sophie_xxx

Thank you for the reply, and apologies for the thread bump (internet access problems!).

I did take her to the vets last week and they confirmed another mammary tumour by her back leg, although fairly small and unnoticable at the moment. The large tumour on her chest was measured at 3cm x 3.5cm, and although this is fairly big it still doesnt seem to bother her.

I am going away on holiday for 2 weeks in May so I will see if there has been much of an increase in size when I get back (My mum is on baby sitting duty whilst im away! :p). If either of the tumours have grown rapidly then I will consider taking her back to the vets for a second opinion. But being 2.5 years old and quite fat, I reckon it's safer to leave her for now.

4. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

If she is healthy then I'd have them removed. Most tumours on rats are just below the skin and are easily removed. It's a fairly low risk operation with an experienced vet, just make sure they use gas anaesthetic as it's too easy to overdose them on injectable.

5. Sophie_xxx

She is otherwise fit and healthy, well I say fit - she is rather plump. Her weight is that of a plump male rat so about 650-700g I think :confused: And the vet said this might be an issue if they did operate on her.

Because she is fat, it's hard to determine what are nasty lumps what are just fatty rolls! You can only really notice the large tumour on her chest when she stretches up or climbs up the cage.

6. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

What is she fed, and how does she get it, and how much does she get each day? If you feed ad lib I would cut right back as rats aren't designed to have free access to food all the time. If she gets food out of a bowl then you could try scatter feeding and hiding her food in boxes which will encourage her to work for her food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice