Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

fatcats is preg again

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by fatcatsmum, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatcatsmum

fatcatsmum PetForums Junior

hi there all

some of iu can rember me from last time , well up date vet would not spray her untill last lot of kittens was 8wks , then i had to wait for my benfits to go though so i could get her sprayed , well in the mean time shes got out and yes ive just noticed a fat cat again , shes to far gone cause this evening can see kittens moveing

my worrys are how long till she has them because monday were on hoilday , ive arranged for neigbour , and 2 frenids to do regular vistes , and they will stay with her while she delivers

any more advice please

thanks nikki

2. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

Hi Nikki, I remember you, Fizz had her kittens about the same time as Princess. We too were caught way too early, and Fizz delivered a healthy litter of 4 on Sunday.

These things happen, although not ideal, but I have vowed to get Fizz spayed once these kittens are weened.

Nic x

3. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

well if the kittens are moving id say in her last 3 weeks.

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Both cats protection and the RSPCA offer neutering vouchers. Pregnancy is not always the cheaper option, especially if your cat needs a caesar thats £300 +

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

People who have one accidental litter usually seem to end up having two. Never mind, you should have a nice long break over the winter where she doesn't call at all and you can arrange to get her spayed then (use the money you get from selling the kittens, perhaps)

In my experience if you can feel the kittens moving I'd say you're in the last two weeks. Where do you live, maybe one of us could foster your cat while you are on holiday in case she has the kittens then. Leaving a neighbour to do the job is fine if nothing goes wrong - and to be fair the chances are that nothing will go wrong - but it's not going to be fair on them if something does go wrong.

Liz

#5 lizward, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  6. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

wish mine would stop calling over winter!!!:eek:

7. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

Im by no means an expert in this area but surely if a cat has had an accidental litter then surely for your pets well being it would be better to keep her in and not alow her to go out inder any circumstances untill her milk has dried up and she can be spayed? We took on 4 cats a few months ago,3 girls and a boy, the girls were all pregnant and between them gave birth to 11 kittens. Unfortunately 1 kitten died at 2 days old despite our best efforts to save him. And while one cat was in labour the first kitten was born breech and without us there to assist with the birth i dread to think what would of happened as there is no way mum could of managed alone. I just wanted to put this so you know that while you may have had one litter and everything went fine, it may not be the same next time. There is no way i would want to leave a pregnant cat who is due to give birth alone with only the occasional visitor as anything could happen. And theres not a chance of me letting the girls get pregnant again, our boy cat was neutered while the girls were pregnant so theres no chance of him getting them pregnant and the girls will be kept in untill they have been spayed.
    I hope all goes well with the pregnancy and the birth and i hope for your cats sake you manage to get her spayed before she has another litter x

8. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Wish mine would call over winter!

I expect yours are indoor cats and you have central heating?

Liz

9. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Hi there i did that a couple of years ago, my Mysty she didn't seem to be on heat then i noticed that she was fat and then before i new it she had 5, i felt awful. She had had a litter not that long ago, so i spoke to the vet and explained the situation and he said to bring her in after her milk had dried up so i took her in and sure enought she had been out as she would not use a litter tray, and she was pregnant. The vet did a larger cut when he was doing her and took away the babies. I was deverstated but i couldn't of let her go through that again.

I wouldn't worry it is so hard to keep a puss cat in they will get out, if they want to. You won't be the forst one to do it and you won't be the last, my poppy has just had kitties and she is getting done, so i now have to have eyes in the back of my head.

Keep us updated

ruth

xx

10. fatcatsmum

thanks for all replays , i did not want her to get out but with the door always opening and coleseing she got out , she is going to get sparayed 100% , i am looking into getting her fosterd while im away , if not ive got at least 4 people now going to come around all different times to sit with her . i live in bucks if u no of any one that could foster her

thanks again i will keep u posted

11. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

My toddler opened the door, hence Fizz getting out. I didn't have the heart to put her through (what may have been) an unnecessary spaying and abortion. Yes I was scared something would happen to her during delivery, and I feared for the kittens health too, but thankfully ours seems to have had a happy ending.

My main concern now is where I am going to find the money to replace torn up carpet by the time these kittens are rehomed ;)

12. Faerie Queene

Faerie Queene PetForums Member

Here's a really simple way to stop your cat from escaping.......
    Keep all doors to the outside locked - to prevent accidental opening (by kiddlies.)
    And when the door bell rings, ask the caller to please wait a moment - and put the cat in another room.
    This is what we do here, and our cats do not escape.

13. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

Fair enough, but what when these kiddies can actually unlock a door and find the key.......... Safety first in this house, the last thing you want in (god forbid) a fire is to be scrambling to find the keys!

14. fatcatsmum

hope fully princess going to foster hme fingers crossed , we did our best keeping her in , when a doors open by a toddler and the cat runs its a mistake not planed to let her have a nother litter, all ready talked re spayeding her AND YES she will b keep in , but i cannot lock her up , but will keep a colse eye on her , it was hard while kids r off school

15. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

im sorry if this sounds harsh but surely if your cats welfare meant that much to you them you would definately keep her in,we have two children under 10 and 3 cats to keep in and although the kids are in and out the cats havent got out at all because they are kept in a room out the way. you say you cant keep you cat locked up but surely keeping her in a room where she cant get out is the kindest thing to do?

16. NicolaC

NicolaC PetForums Junior

But why would you keep them in one particular room?? Sorry, but my cat gets the run of the house. She doesn't have access to the longe through the night or when we are out, and I try to keep her out of kids bedrooms, but otherwise she isn't couped up.

17. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

i keep them in one particular room because i put their health and well being first and under no circumstances will they be getting out of the house untill they have been speyed. surely keeping them confined to one room is better than risking them going through another pregnancy.

18. princessx87

princessx87 PetForums Senior

My cats (and theres 4 of them) was total nightmares.

Princess- Had 2 accidental litters over time and sadly we lost all of them other then one :) Who thankfully has now gone to his new mummy and living a nice life!

Storm- Had one litter and was caught in our garden, and she is a indoor cat always have been, Only goes to the garden to sunbath, and use the toilet.

Porsha & topsey- have had 2 litters and all was fine, Although now all four have been done. It is costly.

We paid nearly £60.00 per cat.
    If you go to the PDSA- you would be entitled to have your cats done for free with the understanding you put money into that rescue, or hand over food / blankets ect.

Hope your cats ok :)

19. fatcatsmum

hi all
    princess is going to a forster home tom while were away , thanks for all relpeys will let u no how she is when we get bk

20. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

you can get vouchers from the cats protection to get your cat neutered for free. Hopefully you wont let her out again theres enough cats in this world already without homes x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice