UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Fat Jasper

1K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  Summercat 
#1 ·
Hello there.

My lovely boy Jasper who is now nearly 3 years old cannot regulate his own food. He is absolutely driven by food and it seems all he ever thinks about! He begs constantly.

I posted here recently and was advised to completely stop the dry food and just provide wet so I have been doing this for the past 2 weeks.

He constantly 'sits' by his empty plate, cries and basically looks pathetic. He has been doing this for the past 2 weeks. He spends hours sitting in the kitchen or following me around begging for food.

We have his brother, Oscar who looks identical just that he looks tiny compared to Jasper and not that interested in food he would rather play! I have noticed over the past couple of weeks that Jasper is more 'frisky' and play fights more. I think this is because he is hungry. Oscar looks fine by the way and I'm keeping a close eye on him to make sure he isn't losing weight.

Well after two weeks Jasper doesn't appear to have lost anything. I pick him up (well struggle to pick him up) and I can't feel any real difference. Is it too early to feel a difference? I really don't think I can cut his food intake any more than I'm doing at present.

I really think I am restricting his food quite a bit now but I don't understand why Jasper hasn't lost weight.

Here are some photo's of him over a typical day constantly begging for food and even constantly licking an empty plate! Makes me feel so guilty as he is such a sweetie pie.
Tableware Grey Carnivore Floor Flooring
Door mat Dog Carnivore Dog breed Flooring
Cat Vertebrate Felidae Carnivore Grey

See less See more
#2 ·
Aww, bless him. It is upsetting when they keep crying for food and we refuse, isn't it? :(

I wouldn't expect to see much weight loss in 2 weeks. Perhaps a couple of ounces. He mustn't lose weight faster than that, especially as he is overweight, or there is a risk of liver lipidosis. I feel if he is crying all day long and is obsessed with food maybe you are cutting back too much, too soon.

Do you have digital scales so you can weigh him once a month and keep a record?

Are you feeding him a low carb diet of wet food? Reducing his carb intake is the best way to help him lose weight. Have you seen Erenya's thread of carb content of the good Zooplus foods?

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

#3 ·
Hi there and thanks for your reply.

There is quite a long history with these two cats regarding their food. It took me 2 years to get them off Kitten Felix and onto adult food and they will only eat Sheba. I know well the Zooplus range as I've used it on my previous cats but they will not eat it.

My two cats are very anxious and nervous cats. Jasper shakes with fear over 'nothing' and although Oscar is much more confident he is still an anxious cat. They are both rescue kittens and I know little about their past history. Another member on here gave me a 'lightbulb moment' when I realised that their anxiousness was tied into why they were so reluctant to try new foods.

To be honest I am just relieved after 2 years they are on adult food at last!

I do have digital scales and will start using them I guess I just expected to 'feel' a difference after two weeks but relieved to know that I shouldn't expect a significant loss just yet.

Guess I just need to keep at it!

#4 ·
@Burmesemum

What consistency is the Sheba? Maybe try small portions of a similar food a few times a day. Something a bit more nutritious that's might keep him feeling satisfied longer. If he gets used to seeing it, it may become familiar and he will eat it. This is in addition to but not replacing the Sheba.
Maybe down the road if he is familiar he can move to a healthier option or two.

Another idea is a puzzle ball, snuffle mat or maze with healthy or healthier type treats to have him work for his food away from mealtimes.

I forget from your previous threads but for the anxiety, have you tried Beaphar spot on calming or a diffuser like Pet Remedy?

#6 ·
Hi thanks for the suggestions all good ideas. I've tried previously with Zooplus food introducing them over periods of time (a little of the food on a separate plate) but they refused to touch it. I haven't given up hope though and have thought about trying a food that looks very similar to their Sheba. Here are a few photos below of it so if anyone has any ideas of decent cat food that looks similar I will try it.

The puzzle ball I've also thought about too as I think both of them would like that Jasper because there is food inside of course lol and Oscar because he loves to play! Haven't heard of snuffle mat or maze so will look them up. My son always buys them toys for Christmas so he will enjoy buying these for them.

No haven't tried any diffuser yet although again thought about doing it. I was going to use it recently on our trip to Cyprus as we had a lady coming in to feed them but was so rushed never got around to it. So again something to think about.

Many thanks :)

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
It’s so hard to get them to lose weight but you can’t rush it! It took a year for Liddy to lose 500g and she’s still a little overweight even though I feel she’s now on the minimum amount. I’ll hold my hands up that I do give her 20g of metabolic dry at night but this is only because of the climate here I can’t leave wet food out for long! Reduce Jaspers food really gradually just really small meals but often.
xxx
The Sheba pack in the photo I would divide into four portions for the day.

#8 ·
It's so hard to get them to lose weight but you can't rush it! It took a year for Liddy to lose 500g and she's still a little overweight even though I feel she's now on the minimum amount. I'll hold my hands up that I do give her 20g of metabolic dry at night but this is only because of the climate here I can't leave wet food out for long! Reduce Jaspers food really gradually just really small meals but often.
xxx
The Sheba pack in the photo I would divide into four portions for the day.
Isn't that an 85g pack - that's not enough for the day surely?

#12 ·
Have you tried hiding a few pieces of home cooked meat in their Sheba? I do that with one of my cats who will not eat good quality cat foods. I chop cooked chicken or turkey into very small pieces and then mix it well into her food. She eats it without noticing the cooked meat. It means she is getting some extra protein which takes longer to digest and keeps her satisfied for longer than her cat food alone.

If you try it start with say two small pieces of chicken, mix well into the Sheba and see if it gets noticed.

EDIT : they would be better with separate dishes when you are trying to diet one of them, otherwise you have no idea how much he is eating and it will be difficult to adjust his portion size. Have you considered microchip feeders for them?

#13 ·
Have you tried hiding a few pieces of home cooked meat in their Sheba? I do that with one of my cats who will not eat good quality cat foods. I chop cooked chicken or turkey into very small pieces and then mix it well into her food. She eats it without noticing the cooked meat. It means she is getting some extra protein which takes longer to digest and keeps her satisfied for longer than her cat food alone.

If you try it start with say two small pieces of chicken, mix well into the Sheba and see if it gets noticed.
This is what I mean about these cats! They will not touch any other food (even tasty bits of left over chicken, fish etc!) at all. They will only eat their Sheba and nothing else. Never had a cat never mind two that didn't like a bit of chicken or fish lol.

Ah sorry just re-read, that's an idea I could try it as long as it was only very small amounts so they didn't notice. Good idea!

#22 ·
@Burmesemum
Hi,
Did you chop it up? It looks similar in the tray to the Animonda, Lily's Kitchen or Almo Nature trays.
If they might like something softer Almo also does little mousses in tins.
Hi yes it's mushed up on the plate as that's the way they like it. They don't like any mousse type foods but good to hear it looks like a few other foods. I think I can get hold of Lily's Kitchen the easiest so maybe I could try that one first.

I was thinking of just a small amount of food on a separate plate so can I store the rest in a plastic tub in a container and do I need to bring it down to room temperature before I give it to them as can't imagine they will eat it otherwise? Can I gently microwave it or will that cause poisoning if I'm only heating it up a little and not piping hot like you would for humans?

#24 ·
Just sitting here in the living room and can hear 'crunch, crunch, crunch' and trying to work out what the noise was.

Had my potatoes boiling in the kitchen and went to check on them and there is Jasper with his head in a bag of dry food! I had a peg on it and haven't used it for a while!

Oscar was crying for food so I put it down and he just walked off (he always does this like he cries for Jasper!) and immediately Jasper is over. So I grabbed him put him in the living room and I've left Oscar in the kitchen to have some food.

Can see I've got my work cut out here lol.

#29 ·
Right, I think I might be getting somewhere now!

I am feeding them separately which is a complete and utter pain but at least I know now what Jappy is eating.

I am feeding him four 85g trays of Sheba (will try some of the food recommended to me soon) per day. One in the morning, lunch, tea and supper.

Think that's possibly still too much but I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and if there is no improvement maybe cut it down to 3 half trays and go from there!

He is not a happy boy though! The look on his face when I stop him from entering the kitchen when Oscar is eating!

#31 ·
No he doesn't have any treats apart from when he gets a brush which is about once a week now that he has stopped dropping his hairs so much and that's just a tiny amount.

He's a big cat, much bigger than his brother. Chunky with a large face type cat but he is definitely overweight too. I agree though does seem a lot!

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and in the meantime going to order some Animonda and see if I can transfer them onto that although don't hold out much hope they are both incredibly fussy.

After two weeks if he is the same I'll reduce it again. I don't want to reduce his food dramatically for now as I worry it could make him ill or depressed :/. He's quite a sensitive little soul bless him.

Oh forgot to add that although I am feeding Oscar separately he still feeds with Jasper from his food but not huge amounts.

#32 ·
No he doesn't have any treats apart from when he gets a brush which is about once a week now that he has stopped dropping his hairs so much and that's just a tiny amount.

He's a big cat, much bigger than his brother. Chunky with a large face type cat but he is definitely overweight too. I agree though does seem a lot!

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and in the meantime going to order some Animonda and see if I can transfer them onto that although don't hold out much hope they are both incredibly fussy.

After two weeks if he is the same I'll reduce it again. I don't want to reduce his food dramatically for now as I worry it could make him ill or depressed :/. He's quite a sensitive little soul bless him.
You are right to reduce very gradually hun. You will see results but I would say it would take the best part of a year to get him trimmed down. xxx

#37 ·
Hi there, on with a little update :)

Fat Jasper is looking a lot slimmer I am happy to report. I am so pleased the advice I read on here about not being drastic with the diet because I was wondering for a while if anything was actually happening and I can now see the difference!

He is looking more slender and has much more energy than he had. Will try and post an update picture :)

I'm not reducing his food any more yet as not sure if he will keep losing weight or will plateau. I am so happy that he has lost weight though and although he is a greedy little boy I am so relieved we have his weight under control and supervision.

It's lovely to see him running around a little more and not just sitting like a blob all the time!

#39 ·
Thank you! I will try and get a pic :)

It's been no bother for me in fact it's been brilliant taking action and not just accepting the situation (although I imagine it might feel like a huge bother to some people) to restrict Jasper's diet.

I've eventually now got into a nice little routine (and so have the cats) of feeding my other cat Oscar early in the morning and then Jasper and Oscar a little later. I feed four times a day now (breakfast, lunch, evening meal and bedtime meal) feeding my other cat Oscar in between whenever he is hungry as he does not over eat like Jasper does and he is a grazer.

At first Jasper tried all kinds of tricks when he knew Oscar was getting fed. Jamming himself in-between two posts on our large cat tree in the kitchen and clinging on for dear life with his claws. It used to make me laugh so much :). When that didn't work he would smuggle himself under a hole in the skirting board in the kitchen so he could 'sneak out' and eat with Oscar ha ha.

I didn't realise at first but then caught on to his cunning plan.

Now he has accepted the situation and I have to say he is so much happier and doesn't follow me about everywhere begging for food but I know that he will always be a cat that is totally food orientated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.