Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fat hamster

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by alyssa_liss, Jul 23, 2009.

1. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

One of my hamsters has got fat , he is definatly a he , will he be ok or should i put him on a hammie diet (and how ) ,

he lives with his brother but hes normal sized lol there russians btw

2. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Funnily enough, we have the same problem with Ronnie and Reggie (also Russians). Reggie is tiny and Ronnie is massive. We had a recent vet visit for Reggie as he has to have his teeth filed down regularly and they asked to to weigh Ronnie and told me he was obese.

Ronnie is just having some extra exercise right now in his ball, although he's not moving very much and we were told to take all of the sunflower seeds out of the food. For the Reggie, we have to take him out and sneak him bits of cheese. :D

3. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My male Russian is really fat too. He's on his wheel exercising every night though and not noticed him eating a lot. I think someone on here said the Russian males should be a lot bigger than the females though.:confused:

4. alyssa_liss

he eats loads!! but is on his wheel constantly aswell ....strange

5. Cuddypuppy

I suppose if he is active and healthy, let him enjoy himself! If Ronnie doesn't slim down it doesn't matter, as he is a happy little chappie who loves a cuddle :)

What are your hammies called and what colour are they?

Ronnie is white and Reggie is grey - they are brothers too.

6. alyssa_liss

stir and fry lol

stirs the fat white one and frys the normal grey/brown one

maybe its just white russans that are fat lol

7. Cuddypuppy

I love the names!! :smilewinkgrin:

8. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Hiya! I have 2 white russian brothers....they live separately now but one is defo bigger than the other. I restricted his diet by feeding him every other day and giving him less nuts and treats. He is now a normal healthy size.

I also have a sapphire grey male and he was very obese (probably due to the fact that his parents were brother and sister) and I did the same with him. He is now much slimmer!

They all ran in their wheels fine and their mobility was great but they slept more than the slimmer males. They don't anymore! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice