Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fat Fighters, second visit

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by monkeymummy32, Nov 1, 2012.

1. monkeymummy32

monkeymummy32 PetForums VIP

Well, tonight Loki went for his monthly weigh in (actually it's been 5 weeks since the last weight clinic), and tonight he weighed in at 6kg. Last visit he was 6.3kg so the nurse was very happy that we most certainly have a downward trend! No negative comments on his new diet of raw, AC, Bozita, Smilia and Grau - in fact she said to keep doing what I'm doing and she'll see us again in a month! Being a British Shorthair she appreciates that they are large cats and said that if we can get him down to 5.5kg that would be good, 5kg even better but she acknowledged that any less than 5kg is unrealistic due to his breed. It was nice to discuss things with a veterinary professional who didn't try to talk me into a dry diet again or tell me he needs to be around 4/4.5kg! We're getting there slowly but surely! :D

2. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

:eek: under 5kg, my girly is 4.7/8kg.

3. monkeymummy32

The nurse doesn't expect him to get below 5kg, she'd be happy if he was 5.5kg. Just half a kilo to go.

4. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

ooh Billy has not long started a diet. He weighed 6.83kg :eek: a month ago.

Took him to get weighed on monday and he is now 6.66kg. The nurse seemed to think this was a good amount but now I am jealous about how much Loki lost!!

5. monkeymummy32

That's really good going!! Loki only lost 0.3kg in 5 weeks though so not that much more than Billy! He started off at 6.7kg a couple of months ago and our aim at the moment is 5.5kg. Getting there I think! What is Billys goal?

6. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

There hasnt been a specific goal set just that he needs to loose weight.

I dont think he is ever going to be that light as he is very long and has huge paws.

7. monkeymummy32

Just go off how he looks then. I can already see a difference in Loki, he's just starting to get a waist rather than being a round barrel!

8. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

Yes Billy is looking better from above but he still has the swinging stomach!!

Is Loki always hungry? Billy has alot more energy but he seems to be spending it chasing after me yelling for food

9. monkeymummy32

Oh yes, the swinging stomach! I think Loki's tummy might be a bit further from the floor now!

He used to be hungry all the time when he was on a dry diet food as prescribed by the vets. He wasn't losing any weight either. Once I switched over to a diet of raw and better quality wet food, he doesn't bother me at all for food. He does seem to have a bit more energy than before, but not huge amounts more - he still won't run after the laser pointer! :rolleyes::

10. Leam1307

Leam1307 PetForums Senior

Oh thats brilliant that Loki is still losing weight!! How on earth do you get rid of the fat pad?? Diesel has lost some weight but with that swinging belly its hard to tell. although he did decide to jump about after a new toy i got him... i about had a heart attack, he hasnt put that much effort into anything in months.!

11. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

mine are both well over 5kg I would say that Boo is nearer 6 now but I don't think they are at all fat.

12. monkeymummy32

Maybe yours are larger cats generally. Loki was definately too round. I posted some pics of him a week or so ago and I am not alone in thinking his is too fat. He just doesn't carry the excess weight of a BSH very well. In comparison to other BSH's he is very different in stature, from above he was very rotund, pre-diet but now he is just beginning to get some shape back.

13. monkeymummy32

Not sure that the fat pouch will ever disappear - isn't it common with neutered males? Maybe it will get a bit smaller, not sure though. I think Loki's seems a bit higher up than it was but it's hard to tell.

Yay, Diesel has got some energy now!!! I'm hoping that Loki will find some enthusiasm for toys soon too, although he has been thundering around upstairs playing with the kitten more recently :)

14. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

Is loki still loosing weight?
    Just took billy for his weigh in and he is now 6.34kg.

The nurse seemed happy but still tried to get me to buy some diet food

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice