UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my rotund BSH, Loki, has been on a diet for the last 5 weeks. He started at 6.7kg and today he weighed in at 6.0kg! I'm so pleased! Cutting out the dry is certainly doing the trick! Still some way to go but we're getting there slowly but surely! :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suppose they are like us in that respect...? More to lose the quicker it goes and then levels off? Is kitty doing ok on his new diet?
Well I take him to a weigh in clinic at the vets, and when he went there about 3 weeks ago he was 6.3 and the nurse didn't say anything about losing it too quickly. He'll be going again next week so I'll see what they say. I obviously don't want to do him any harm. All I've done is cut out his dry food gradually and giving him more raw food. He's doing fine on the new food, still his usual self. As you say, maybe it will level off when he gets lighter but because he is quite overweight, it comes off quicker in the beginning.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why are you putting a BSH on a diet when only 6.7kg? you do know a fully grown BSH male is meant to be (healthy weight also) between 5kg to 10kg depending on his bone size, A Queen is meant to be 5 kg up to 7kg again on size of bones. Let me guess a vet told you to do it ? A vet that does not know anything about the BSH breed :smilewinkgrin:

A bit from wiki to show this also

The males of this breed are larger than the females, and the size difference between them is more easily noticed compared to other breeds. The males' average weight is 5-10 kilograms, whereas a female would weigh up to 5-7 kg. As with many breeds, the adult males may also develop prominent cheek jowls that distinguish them from their female counterparts.[6] The typical lifespan of this breed is 14 to 20 years.[5]

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you putting a BSH on a diet when only 6.7kg? you do know a fully grown BSH male is meant to be (healthy weight also) between 5kg to 10kg depending on his bone size, A Queen is meant to be 5 kg up to 8kg again on size of bones. Let me guess a vet told you to do it ? A vet that does not know anything about the BSH breed :smilewinkgrin:
Yes I realise BSH's are large cats but surely having large amounts of excess fat on them isn't good for them? Every year my vets say he is overweight. Loki is definately very round, it's not all muscle, he has lots of fat around his abdomen....surely this isn't good for any cat regardless of breed..?

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Well, he has nearly lost 10% of his body weight in just a few weeks. However, I have just had a look at some sites and they seem to think that around a pound a month is good weight loss target. Seems an awful lot to me but hey.

Good on your for making such a big difference to his life by cutting out the dry. :) Just make sure he gets enough wet food!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, he has nearly lost 10% of his body weight in just a few weeks. However, I have just had a look at some sites and they seem to think that around a pound a month is good weight loss target. Seems an awful lot to me but hey.

Good on your for making such a big difference to his life by cutting out the dry. :) Just make sure he gets enough wet food!
I tried to find some guidelines too but you beat me to it! Thanks for looking it up though. He gets fed 4 times a day to keep him feeling full, smaller portions, only wet food, sometimes raw. He eats as much as he wants and then walks away so I'm guessing he has enough.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
However, regardless of breed, cats are individuals. I have a British Blue girl who weighs 4 kg but because she is a small cat that is a good weight for her. 5kg or even more (bless) would be way too much weight for her to carry.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I tried to find some guidelines too but you beat me to it! Thanks for looking it up though. He gets fed 4 times a day to keep him feeling full, smaller portions, only wet food, sometimes raw. He eats as much as he wants and then walks away so I'm guessing he has enough.
What wet food are you feeding if you don't mind me being nosy?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bottrol, you cats are beautiful. Looking at them though, they look different in body type to my boy. My boy doesn't have the big jowls and your cats don't look as flabby as mine - yours look more robust and stocky! My boys belly is very low down and he is very soft and flabby. I will try to take a picture of him to illustrate!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What wet food are you feeding if you don't mind me being nosy?
He has quite a variety - Animonda Carney, Hi Life, Feline Fayre, the raw is from Natural Instinct. I always try to look out for high protein food when I can although he does sometimes have Felix As Good As it Looks. I'll be placing a new order with Zooplus soon because the AC has almost run out, so I'm also going to order some Bozita to see if he likes that.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could you maybe drop one of his meals, my girl has 2 plus a small supper. Your boy has 4 which seems quite a lot.
He has 4 small ones because I figured that as long as the total amount is less, then it doesn't matter if it's spread over 2/3/4 meals. But yes, I will give it another try - what times do you feed Cookie? It could be that because he's so sedentary, he doesn't need all of the smaller meals. He really doesn't eat all that much at all though - when he has a raw day, he only has 4 meals of 20g per day and even then he doesn't always eat all of it. If he's having a Felix day, he'll have 2 pouches a day max - usually less. AC he'd maybe have around 100g/day. Maybe he just has a very slow metabolism. I'll have a chat with the vet nurse when he goes for weigh in next week.

·
Registered
127 Posts
First pic taken around 4 weeks ago 6.7kg. Second two taken tonight 6.0kg (sorry about the quality).
Yep he looks nothing like our British but tbh never expected him to be unless you were a breeder. As our boy is show quality your lovely boy is pet quality :) And seeing this pic I can say sorry and you're doing the right thing :D he has a nice sag there lol. Such a shame he did not hold the weight like most british do, he would be an amazing looking BSH body wise. Also he is my favourite type of tabby:) classic :) Eyes spot on for any level of BSH lovely big and round :) shame again about his jowls but he is still a big teddy bear and a lovely one at that :)

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep he looks nothing like our British but tbh never expected him to be unless you were a breeder. As our boy is show quality your lovely boy is pet quality :) And seeing this pic I can say sorry and you're doing the right thing :D he has a nice sag there lol. Such a shame he did not hold the weight like most british do, he would be an amazing looking BSH body wise. Also he is my favourite type of tabby:) classic :) Eyes spot on for any level of BSH lovely big and round :) shame again about his jowls but he is still a big teddy bear and a lovely one at that :)
Phew, glad you think I'm doing the right thing! He most definately does have a major sag going on under there and you can sink your fingers into the flab around his sides :blush:. I was looking at your pics and then looking at Loki, and I could see straight away that they were vastly different in body type...but he does deliver a good cuddle! I want to have him around for as long as possible so I really need to get his weight down before it starts to affect his health.
Yes his eyes are lovely and round. I've always said he's like a human trapped inside a cats body, the way he looks at you with those eyes, they're so full of expression, it's like he's lookin into your soul! :001_wub:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.