Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fat dog and RSPCA?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rona

rona Guest

Anyone know if the RSPCA have got thier act together enough to start prosecuting people with obese dogs?
    I've heard about one or two cases but not sure if they would consider a very obese dog that was still taken for walks :confused:

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think if it can still walk then it would be ok from their point of view.:( (I know a couple of furry little barrels I might be reporting otherwise!!):)

3. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

I would doubt they have the resources to do this. I would hope that the vets would try and educate the owners though.

4. rona

rona Guest

Mmm that's what I thought, saw a Staffy this morning that can hardly move, god knows how it's going to suffer in the summer :(

5. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

We see a few very overweight staffies and labs, I always feel so sorry for them lugging around that extra baggage. I doubt the RSPCA would get involved though? We've reported dogs left outside in all weathers, starved, no water/food and no shelter and after one visit they ruled everything as satisfactory :mad:

6. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think there are quite a few people with over weight dogs.. types being staffies and rotties and a few other breeds like that that people seem to think are meant to be big heavy dogs.. Im in belief that staffies should be muscular and very fit.. And have the waist line to show this.. :)

I see a dog on the walk she started peddling with the dog last year.. well I didn't see her for ages.. met her the other week and she now has two dogs.. and he looks the same and the new dog is also very weighty.. :eek:

7. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Oh my god there was a programme on Channel 4 I think, about people obsessed with their dogs...there was a woman in Bolton with a Rottie. I don't think the poor thing will be alive anymore, they fed her all kinds of crap, and was seriously massive - they didn't see it as a problem! Even when the groomer was telling her it was cruelty, they were killing her with kindness! I'd be surprised if the RSPCA didn't step in, it was on tv and everything; blatant cruelty!

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I remember it.. she took it in the dog parlour and ended up having a row over its condition.. :eek: Stormed out.. How can the crew film that and air it in a positive way for the dog.. I hope they got help in the end.. :)

9. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I hope she got the dog taken off her in the end :glare: fair enough if you want to eat yourself into oblivion, but don't inflict it on a dog whilst stuck in the mindset that you're spoiling her rotten...

10. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I really dont see how someone can let their dog get like that. It is another form of cruelty and just because the owner of fat doesnt mean the dog has to be. Im really big but no way would I let my dogs or any of my pets get like that.
    (that woman with the Rottie was just plain sad. Claimed to love her dog and was happy to slowly kill it!!:mad:)

12. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice