Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fat Bunny Needs Vibes

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Lil Miss, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

well i went out to feed the rabbits this morning, and little lump stayed where she was when i opened the door, which isnt usual for her, she stayed where she was when i went to stroke her, again not normal. so i picked her up and she didnt fight at all, on tipping her to look at her bum i noticed that she was now urine scalded down both legs, i only bathed her the other day, i put her down and she moved, but she walked with her bum held too high, i got mum to ring vets while ii bathed her, vets had no slots today, so shes booked in for tomorow morning at 11:20.
    she has been very quiet all day and has barly eaten, shes also produced no poos, and i can not feel any gut movement, but that could be because shes so fat i cant feel anything under it, so she is now being syringe fed to try and force her gut to start again.

shes come such a long way in the month she has been here, and i am gutted by this set back, i cant help feel that its my fault, hopefully she can pull through this

2. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Awww poor bun bun!!! Though it's hardly your fault!! And you're the one getting her through this! Hope she gets better soon!

3. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

things have got even worse, she was sat squeeking and grinding her teeth, so i got her out to check her, and noticed something lodged in her urethrae, she squeeked and fought when i touched it, i couldnt pull it out with my hands, so out came the tweezers, and i pulled out a nice big stone, a couple of minutes later and i checked her, pulled her bits back to have a good look, and found another one, i was able to remove that without the tweezers, and shes quiet again, im so worried for her
    shes had some pineapple juice to try and disolve any more stones

4. jaxb05

jaxb05 PetForums VIP

Poor little mite - hope she improves x

5. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I know it's late at night but this little rabbit needs to be seen by a vet this evening, I know it's inconvenient and I know it's going to cost you, but that's the truth of the matter :(

She may need painkillers and an injection to stimulate gut movement. Gut stasis can kill within hours.

I can appreciate you are worried, so please do the right thing and call emergency vet ...

Hope she is okay, but she needs professional help tonight.

Info below explains how serious this is :(

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-5/bladder-disease.html

#5 Amethyst, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  6. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

she has already had that im not thick, if i wasnt able to administer that medication at home i would have been straight on the vets doorstep this morning demanding they do it there and then.
    i have also already been on the phone to my vet, since discovering the stones, if she doesnt wee in couple of hours then she NEEDS to be seen, and WILL be seen

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I know you are worried but no need to be so rude ... hope bunny is okay.

8. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

well please dont take me for an idiot, i know there are some of them about, but i am most deffinatly not one.
    i would NEVER deprive an animal of vet care if it was needed

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Sorry I bothered posting ...

10. frags

frags PetForums VIP

Hope she is ok hun x

11. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

I think it's better to inform people whether they already know or not than assume everyone knows what they're doing and never give out advice....

You didn't mention anything about administering painkillers or use the term stasis so I think it was a bit of an over reaction at amethyst who was just trying to help and couldn't possibly have known what steps you'd taken.:(

Not meaning to cause an argument, as i'm sure you're just stressed over the situation. I hope bun is ok.

12. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

thanks hun

we are up to 5 stones now
    the last 3 are half the size of the first 2, and im able to remove them with just my hands, we have a steady "leak" of liquid, not an actual wee, but things are moving along which is good

13. Petitepuppet

Petitepuppet PetForums VIP

sending postive vibes to you and your bun xxxxx

14. Lil Miss

Lil Miss PetForums VIP

she posts enough in this section to know i am not a fool, she could have asked if she had recived anything rather then tell me i NEED to take her to a vet to recive it.
    i thought i had put she had had that in my post, but i obviously didnt

some people just need to remember not every one who posts is a muppet. people seem to make that assumption much too often.

15. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

For heavens sake I know you are upset but get over yourself ... You gave scant information to be honest I can't remember what you have posted in the past!

16. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Just to add my little bit. I tend to assume anyone I don't know that posts here is an idiot (not in a rude sense but just knowing little about rabbits) and will give advice accordingly. Ithink people on here go by number of posts as well as to how much advice/info to give, a newer person may be here to find lots of info rather than someone who's been here for a long time has probably already heard it all. I'd rather assume people as idiots and give too much advice than assume people know everything and leave them to it maybe risking a bunnies health by doing so. Too much advice is better than no advice.

17. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Hoping bunny has eaten and wee'ed overnight and is feeling better this morning?

18. BattleKat

BattleKat PetForums Senior

surely it's better to assume everyone is an idiot and give advice where it may not be needed than assume everyone knows what they're talking about and not give advice where it may save an animals life or even improve their welfare?

I read through the small animal section most days and I don't have any idea what pets you have or how experienced you are in medicating at home. The fact you tried to book an appointment at the vet would tell me you're not 100% confident in treating at home and, again, you didn't say anything about medicating her, so if amythest hadn't suggested taking her to the vet asap for painkillers and gut stimulant I certainly would have done.

How is bun today? Good news from the vet I hope :)

19. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I hope shes ok, this sounds so painful I cant imagine what she is going through :(

20. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Completely agree, think some people are very quick to bite at others for just trying to help. Lets all have a group hug!!

Hope bun is improving :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice