Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fasting research

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by O2.0, Jul 13, 2019.

1. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Annacates and saartje like this.
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

This is something I'm interested in too, so I'm looking forward to reading the links. Thanks for sharing. :)

O2.0 likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I've read research on this before but I really struggle to fast I've tried a few times. It does make sense.

O2.0 likes this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think some people do better with it than others. Skipping breakfast has never been an issue for me, even as a bottomless pit teen. And I've never liked sleeping with a full stomach, so I generally eat dinner early. From there it was easy to transition to 16 to 18 hours between last meal of the day and first meal.

I don't do it all the time, for example if I'm doing a long run early, I have to eat before hand because it's just too hard to make up the deficit during the run, but for up to around 6 miles I can run fasted no problem - as long as I hydrate, especially in this heat!

Boxer123 and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I’ve heard this before too and am interested but I’m not sure I could do it!
    I used to skip breakfast when I was younger and would feel ill and a bit faint until I ate something! So now I always eat breakfast :D

Kim Watcham and O2.0 like this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I tend to fast from dinner time (6pm ish) to breakfast time (7am ish) naturally.

That’ll have to do ;)

If I get too hungry I’m more likely to blow my healthy eating plan.

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

One of the researchers in to fasting, Dr. Longo, says that starting with a 12 hour fast, even if that's all you get to, is still beneficial. The body needs a 'rest' from digestion.

Apparently, most people don't even make it 12 hours between last meal of the day and first meal next day.

Boxer123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I regularly fast, not sure if it particularly beneficial to my health I have never given t much thought to be honest, it is just something I have done for many years.

O2.0 likes this.
  9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

That just sounds like it should be the normal break you have in eating though.

I dont think I could ever be one of those people who fasts for 24hrs or longer, I start to feel abit wibbly if I go too long. Yesterday was about 17hrs between meals and I did feel dizzy and sweaty by the time I had my lunch!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I read this as it popped up on my FB newsfeed …. no way could I fast, I am far too food obsessed! I go from one meal to another thinking what I'll be eating next! :D

My last meal is around 7pm but I will have some chocolate with a cup of tea at around 9pm before going to bed at 10pm. I get up at 4.15am & usually have some toast for breakfast as I'm driving to work around 6.30am. That's the longest I go without food, otherwise I think I'm doing well if I go a couple of hours without eating

O2.0 and Boxer123 like this.
  11. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

As a child last meal of the day was either 16:30 or 18:00 depending on if I went to Grans or home after school, then a quick snack (drink and a couple of biscuits) before bed at around 20:00, then that was it until lunchtime at 12:30 (at school) or 13:00 (at home) - so I was regularly going 16 and a half to 17 hours without eating.

These days the gap is a little smaller, I go 14 to 15 hours.

I've just never been a foody, I guess.

O2.0 likes this.
  12. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I tend to only eat once a day. Sometimes I might have some lunch if I am out somewhere and others want to eat, but for the most part I just eat an evening meal around 7 or 8pm
    I don't have a healthy relationship with food though so I can't start a fast because if I do I wouldn't start again.

O2.0 likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I used to do it by accident too. Skip breakfast, get busy with the day, then before you know it it's dinner time and you haven't eaten all day.
    Now I do it on purpose but it's not a big deal, I think some people definitely find it easier than others. For me it's just nice to know it's not 'bad' as everyone used to tell me about skipping breakfast and not eating all day. I certainly could make up for it LOL!

But it does make sense that we evolved to handle periods of food deprivation. It's not like paleolithic man woke up in the cave and went to the refrigerator for a quick breakfast before setting out for the day. We ate as it was available, and it's possible that all that would be available were a handful of berries here and there.

Cleo38 likes this.
  14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hahaha, I know a couple of people like this but it will never be me. I was on the phone to my sister the other day & we were laughing as so much of our conversation is about food: what we're having for our next meal, what we ate when we went out, etc … we are obsessed! But, it's not an unhealthy type of obsession as it used to be, we both eat very healthy foods & have such a different relationship with food now but we still love to discuss it.

O2.0 likes this.
  15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Im the same I wake up at 4:30 and think yay toast !

margy and O2.0 like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I wake up at 4:30 too but the thought of food at that hour? Ugh, no thanks! By 10 or11 though I’ll eat a giant bowl of oatmeal or a big smoothie

17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

So many people say they can't eat at that time I have to have a brew toast and marmite to start the day. After my run about 9 I have my bran flakes and fruit with coconut milk. So two breakfast s :oops:

Cleo38 and O2.0 like this.
  18. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Food & a cup of tea is the first thing I think of! Actually I forgot that before my breakfast on the way to work I have a handful of nuts with my cuppa :D

Years ago it wouldn't have been food but a cigarette first thing … makes me gag just thinking of that now :Hungover:Yuck:oops:

O2.0 likes this.
  19. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh gawd marmite?! That’s even worse! :Hilarious

Boxer123 likes this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

It's true you love it or hate it !

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice