Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fast breathing, anything to worry about?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by RottieMummy, May 21, 2017.

1. RottieMummy

RottieMummy Run free at the bridge my darling x

Most of you know Kira's story. Well as she had giardia we were advised to treat our older cat Lola as a precaution which we did. She had a stool sample sent off and it was clear. No further problems.

For the last 30 minutes or so she has began breathing really fast. She seems fine, have checked her over and nothing seems to be hurting her. She has eaten fine and she is drinking fine. However when she is lying down you can see her breathing which is much faster than normal.

It might be a normal thing that cats do and we've never noticed before. I'm just more paranoid and aware than normal with losing Kira and worrying that Lola may have contacted it.

Do you think it's nothing or should I get her seen by a vet?

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Is it in response to anything? Has she just been playing, is she watching a bug or bird? has something scared her?

3. RottieMummy

Dosnt seem to be in any response no and it's stopped now. Keeping a close eye on her, it was just when she was lying down half awake / half asleep. Most likely me worrying over nothing.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

One of my cats has a resting respiratory rate which on occasion can seem quite fast, faster than it usually is anyway, and for no apparent reason. He is aged 7 and in good health, vet having listened to his heart and examined him (in the past) did not seem concerned. I don't know if this might be the same sort of thing with Lola.....

With my cat I sometimes put it down to him having an exciting dream whilst he's asleep. :)

RottieMummy likes this.
  5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I'd keep an eye on her, & if it happens again call the vet in the morning, or obviously sooner if there are any other symptoms that concern you.

You say she was half asleep, perhaps she was dreaming? It's been quite warm today, was she panting, do you think?

Hope it was just one of those things & nothing to worry about!

RottieMummy likes this.
  6. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Was she dreaming? Or smelling something? Hopefully it was a one off & nothing to worry about. When I got a few mornings ago Rodney was lying in his bed breathing twice as fast as he should be, he got up, had a huge poo & all was normal again.

RottieMummy likes this.
  7. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

I hope everything's okay! Your senses are heightened because of what happened aswell, I find that if I look for something I usually find it if you get me! (Like fast breathing, or weird movements etc) I know I'm a worrier & I saw jasper breathing once (I was staring at him whilst he slept:Shamefullyembarrased) and he seemed to be breathing fast. So I was so worried & rang my OH - In hindsight I think it was just his normal breathing rate, I'd never sat and watched him before so I panicked. Xxx

RottieMummy likes this.
  8. RottieMummy

Yeah I think you're right Faye. I've checked her a few times during the night and been sat watching her this morning and she's looking at me in bermusement. She was probably dreaming etc. She seems absolutely fine. Had a loose bowel movement this morning though. I am hyper alert to everything at the moment, only as I know how contagious giardia is and I also know it can be missed on stool samples as it's shed intermittently so watching for any signs at all.

Purplecatlover likes this.
  9. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

You're doing the right thing though! Better to be safe isn't it! I'd be the exact same!! They look at you like your daft don't they! Jasper always looks at me as if to say "please stop staring, I can't even sleep in peace!!!" Did you do a 3 day stool sample? If you need anything at all I'm here :)

RottieMummy likes this.
  10. RottieMummy

Yes we did. That's what picked it up on Kira so did the same for Lola. We treated her for it first and then did the sample at the end so we were expecting it to be clear but it was just to make doubly sure. They never met face to face as Kira became ill while we were still scent swapping and Lola then went on a short holiday to the neighbours. We bleached and washed everywhere before she came home so the risk is low but we did swap beds the first 2 days and it can be soread like that.

Purplecatlover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice