Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Fashion Advice

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ouesi, Oct 20, 2017.

1. ouesi

ouesi Guest

After some advice slowly improving my work wardrobe.

I have to dress professionally for work and I seem to have fallen in to a "uniform" of dress pants of some sort (ok, trousers for you Brits :p) and different blouses.

I don't have a whole lot of money, so I tend to buy cheap clothes that generally only last a season or two before they start fraying, pilling, or just generally coming apart and looking awful.

So I'd like to build a wardrobe of more lasting pieces, but without staying in my dress pants + blouse rut.

I do like dresses, but feel like they end up being more "statement" pieces so I can't wear the same dress as often as the same black pair of pants that I rotate twice or even 3x a week.
    I'll wear skirts too.
    The other issue I have with skirts and dresses is I never know what shoes to wear with them. I have to be on my feet a lot, so all my shoes are "sensible" and maybe too clunky to wear with skirts? I never know...

Any ideas?

2. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

:pHmmmmm, what job do you do?
    Probably not the best advice from me as I wear a uniform uniform..... I don’t have to think about what I wear for work.
    I guess the question is do you prefer to buy from a shop and try on first? Or would you be open to online like amazon.
    I got fed up of paying expensive prices in shops so turned to the internet.
    Amazon is my favourite and as long as you read reviews about sizing and look at their measurements... I haven’t had an issue so far.
    So far I have found some really nice knee length skirts ( more swing/skater skirts) .... made from a good durable material that I can use as a dress up for the evening or as part of a day casual wear. Although I do tend to stick to black/navy in colour these skirts go nice even in winter with some nice thick tights and either some little court shoes or ankle boots. I generally pay between 10-20 gbp for this and have varying lengths to my wardrobe.
    Long skirts are always nice because you can wear a nice ankle boot underneath which cannot be seen.
    So I have knee length, mid calf length and ankle length skirts.....
    I have never worn a blouse.... a bit too old fashioned for me :p but I like to wear a pretty little top of some kind.... now this is wear you could add a bit of colour.... anything that suits you. I like cowl neck ones the best.....
    a nice little cardigan really sets this all off as a nice little casual day wear.
    Not sure if you would be able to do that with your job?

But for me online has been the way forward it’s much cheaper and sometimes I find the quality better and you can normally find something a bit independent that not everyone on the street is wearing.

Not sure if this is helpful or not? Hope it is though.

LinznMilly, ouesi and Elles like this.
  3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Get a different job where you can wear what you like? :p

Sorry. :oops:

Can you wear comfy flatties, or ankle boots with skirts instead of something clunky?

Happy Paws likes this.
  4. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Oh, and then it depends on what you like too.
    For trousers those wide leg cotton linen things are quite nice too..... with a nice flat shoe

Happy Paws and Elles like this.
  5. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Actually I’m quite vintage..... maybe I should introduce a blouse ....... to one of my skirts...hmmmmmm

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Buy either suits (matching trousers and jacket) or a blazer which you can mix and match with blouses, posher t-shirt type tops, skirts and trousers.

I wear suits mainly, but if I know I’m in the office all day then I’ll wear trousers and a posher t-shirt type top and in the winter a warm cardigan and ankle boots rather than shoes.... it’s acceptable and I’m comfortable.

I leave my blazer at work so if I have to meet anyone I take the cardigan off and wear the blazer.

My work expenses (rather than us have an office uniform) cover the cost of two new suits, a few blouses and 1 pair of shoes per year ..... the rest I buy myself. Obviously I buy better quality when I’m claiming it back ;)

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I lived in a monochrome wardrobe of black trousers and white shirts - so much easier than trying to decide what to wear to work. I did however, always have a fabulous jacket. Spend all your money on a wonderful piece of tailoring and it will even lift jeans and a t-shirt to 'dressed'. I did (and still do) go for Donegal tweed, mainly because of a loyalty to the region and most people don't recognise it but the quality shines out. People don't notice anything but the quality piece.

WillowT likes this.
  8. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I'm happy to buy online. I do buy most of my shoes off Amazon, way cheaper that way!
    I do love the ankle boots, I never thought to wear ankle boots with a skirt, but I guess you can huh? Especially a longer skirt.

See, I would love to stock up on some statement jackets, I just don't trust my judgement on longevity of the style. Plus it's hot here more than cold, jacket season is fairly short. I used to have a gorgeous boiled wool jacket that I loved, but it was just way too warm and I never wore it, so I gave it to my sister. I should ask for it back! I also have some lovely scarves I need to remember to wear!

When I say blouse, I mean stuff like this, OH says most of my tops are "granny" tops :Penguin
    [​IMG]

LinznMilly, WillowT and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. WillowT

WillowT PetForums VIP

Yes, ankle boots with a long skirt are lovely..... you can get away with a little ankle boot with a calf length skirt too.
    A knee high skirt I would probably wear knee length boots to be honest

10. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Good court shoes go with flood length trousers, skirts...brogues or oxfords go with work trousers...
    But I love dresses, especially in summer..

WillowT likes this.
  11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You could consider silk then :). Go for sleeveless, semi- fitted tops and a lightweight silk jacket, you don't have to keep it on all the time. Works with both skirts and trousers.

ouesi and WillowT like this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

The other benefit of getting colleagues used to seeing you in a distinctive jacket is that you can leave it over the back of your chair if you need to nip out. People always assume you're in the building if your jacket is still highly visible in your office :)

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are you tall? If not, avoid too many horizontal lines - I don't mean pattern, I mean structure. For example if you have a collar line, jacket hem, skirt hem, top of boot, sole of boot you effectively divide your body into about half a dozen horizontal layers. A tall person can get away with that but a short person can't.

For comfortable shoes I really struggle too. I was hoping FitFlop might be ok for me. Do you have these in the US?

LinznMilly likes this.
  14. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Maybe try Pinterest for capsule wardrobe ideas so you can get some ideas on what you already have you can wear differently and small items to add so you aren't spending a fortune?

I look at Pinterest for packing lists and always aim to pack light (it's nice to aim, I keep trying :D)

WillowT and ouesi like this.
  15. ouesi

ouesi Guest

Yes, I am tall, 5' 9" and except for a butt and thighs pretty much not a whole lot to fill clothes out if you know what I mean (no boobs) :D

cheekyscrip likes this.
  16. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

I have to dress smart for my weekday job and then smart-casual for my weekend night job, but my style is pretty much same for both of them. I have a few knee or above the knee length dresses - a couple pencil type, one skater and a couple of shift dresses. That way I can see how I'm feeling that morning e.g. if I'm feeling a bit bloated the last thing I want is anything tight so will go for a shift dress. I have one pair of black trousers (after i put on a stone I'm no longer squeezing into the other pair haha!) and just wear them with either a shirt, a button up blouse or one of a few simple tops (a couple of simple black or navy and a couple of brighter or patterned/ ruffled). I also have a couple of simple black skirts that I can wear either with one of the blouses or some nice cardigan/ sweater. I now got myself a black blazer too, but used to have a black jacket that I could wear with wither a dress, or trousers/skirt and blouse combo. For shoes - I have one pair of black court shoes and a couple of pairs of ankle boots on a medium/ low heel (just a couple of inches) to wear with skirts and dresses, or black flat shoes to wear with trousers :)
    I never was a big fan of dresses, but now find myself looking at them in shops simply because it's an easy way out in the mornings - no hassle of trying to decide what skirt/ top to wear today...especially as I said sometimes being in a weird mood of "i'm too bloated to spend the whole day in trousers" :D

LinznMilly, cheekyscrip and ouesi like this.
  17. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I do like the ease of dresses, just throw that on and you look put together. Especially in the summer, way cooler too.
    I generally avoid shift dresses because I don't think I look good in them. I may have to revisit them :)

LinznMilly likes this.
  18. debble

debble PetForums Senior

I don't have this problem as I have a set uniform - but i wish i did! I would invest in good quality bottoms... cigarette style trousers, slim fit, flared, straight leg, boot cut.... variety of skirt lengths... and maybe some dresses in grey, navy or black... whatever suits. And then I'd spent less money on blouses, tops, cardigans so that i could switch them out every few months to suit trends, or if they start to look too worn.

I struggle with shoes that suit me, so I'd probably have some heeled boots for dresses/skirts and a pair of flats.

ouesi likes this.
  19. ouesi

ouesi Guest

See but that's the rut I feel like I'm in. I just wear trousers and an assortment of blouses. I mean, it's fine, I just feel like I'm in a rut and I need to step out of my comfort zone more.

I did end up buying a long straight skirt which is easier than I thought it would be :)
    I'm also currently coveting these boots, but will wait and see if they go on sale. I just can't bring myself to spend that much!
    [​IMG]

lullabydream, debble and Elles like this.
  20. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Loving the boots!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice