Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Farmer pays £8,400 for BC.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Paula07, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

2. Gertrude

Gertrude PetForums VIP

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Well look at the price of Quads and think that they couldn't do half what the collie will do.
    Worth their weight in gold to a hill sheep farmer

4. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

I would imagine so, still, 8k?!:eek: :crazy:

5. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

Hm, that's a good point. Never thought of that.:eek:

6. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

7. househens

househens Guest

The way farmers see it, is a top dog can do the work of 3 men, as far as working - moving stock. 3 wages for up to 10 yrs... good deal. Plus you can breed more, to replace.

The 1 million POUNDS dog... THAT is insanity

8. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

Anything is worth exactly what person will pay for it. I suppose this applies to dogs, too.

I knew someone who paid around $A10,000 to import a particular GSD bitch from Germany..... She only ever had one litter of pups and the sire was a mongrel! I own one of the litter, my Rex. Huge breeding success; NOT! Two of his litter sisters have hip dysplasia and Rex is not the only one with a very dodgy temperament (his mother was very sweet to be fair).

9. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Lol had to reply. Its true rona they are worth their weight. I think the new owner described it as cheap for best friend. Someone else said its only about £500 a year. Quads cost much more plus someone to ride them.

But hills - was bought by a guy in Suffolk :D

10. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

It'd probably cost alot more to train all their sheep to herd themselves... Sheep look a bit thick and would need alot of lessons :eek:

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

That was for effect ;) ;)

Got the point across a little better :D

12. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Earlier this year

John Bell, of Parks Farm Howden, Selby, who has often headed the prices at Skipton, again led the way at 4,800gns with Nell, a two-year-old black and white girl dog, who returned to her roots when bought back by her Scottish Highlands breeder Jock Sutherland , of Keoldale Farm, Sangormore, Durness.

Nell Leads the Way at Skipton Collie Dog Sale

13. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

The sale was at auction too, which means competition, which means the price gets pushed up. Which is why they sold the dog at auction, I guess.

14. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Sounds like the guy was determined to have her. Think he already had a relative and had his eye on her for 6 months so guess the breeder was on a winner. Doubt the farmer would have offered that as tender.

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If your income and livelyhood is all based around sheep farming and sheep, then a good sheep dog can literally be worth its weight in gold, so whilst a lot of money, I can see the logic behind it in all honesty.

16. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

well at least it's for a decent working dog - not really expensive if you look at the time and effort gone into breeding and training her.... if she's that good at 18 months to come in as top sheep dog she'd be well worth the price.... a lot of sheep dogs are sold at auction and the guy who sold her does need to make a living.

years ago someone was interested in bringing on young dogs for agility but they worked out the costings and it would be really very expensive, plus most people want to do their own training - although a lot get the basics done by a partner!! No one in agility would pay that much, but for a good working sheep dog, then I can see it's good value

17. Moobli

Moobli PetForums VIP

As others have said, a fully trained sheepdog is worth its weight in gold. I can't comment on that particular dog as I didn't see her work, but have heard mutterings within the working dog world that all is not what it may seem ;)

My hubby trains sheepdogs for himself and also occasionally runs one or two young dogs on, trains them and sells them to shepherds or farmers (usually friends or friends of friends). He has sold one trained working sheepdog at Skipton that made £3600, and I can tell you that he was worth every penny for the amount of hours and time put into his training. His new owner is still delighted with him four years on (and has won trials with the dog, as well as being more than capable of every day hill work).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice