UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Well look at the price of Quads and think that they couldn't do half what the collie will do.
Worth their weight in gold to a hill sheep farmer

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well look at the price of Quads and think that they couldn't do half what the collie will do.
Hm, that's a good point. Never thought of that.:eek:

G

·
The way farmers see it, is a top dog can do the work of 3 men, as far as working - moving stock. 3 wages for up to 10 yrs... good deal. Plus you can breed more, to replace.

The 1 million POUNDS dog... THAT is insanity

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Anything is worth exactly what person will pay for it. I suppose this applies to dogs, too.

I knew someone who paid around $A10,000 to import a particular GSD bitch from Germany..... She only ever had one litter of pups and the sire was a mongrel! I own one of the litter, my Rex. Huge breeding success; NOT! Two of his litter sisters have hip dysplasia and Rex is not the only one with a very dodgy temperament (his mother was very sweet to be fair).

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Lol had to reply. Its true rona they are worth their weight. I think the new owner described it as cheap for best friend. Someone else said its only about £500 a year. Quads cost much more plus someone to ride them.

But hills - was bought by a guy in Suffolk :D

·
Still missing my boys
42,322 Posts
Lol had to reply. Its true rona they are worth their weight. I think the new owner described it as cheap for best friend. Someone else said its only about £500 a year. Quads cost much more plus someone to ride them.

But hills - was bought by a guy in Suffolk :D
That was for effect ;) ;)

Got the point across a little better :D

·
Registered
10,311 Posts
Earlier this year

John Bell, of Parks Farm Howden, Selby, who has often headed the prices at Skipton, again led the way at 4,800gns with Nell, a two-year-old black and white girl dog, who returned to her roots when bought back by her Scottish Highlands breeder Jock Sutherland , of Keoldale Farm, Sangormore, Durness.

Nell Leads the Way at Skipton Collie Dog Sale

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Sounds like the guy was determined to have her. Think he already had a relative and had his eye on her for 6 months so guess the breeder was on a winner. Doubt the farmer would have offered that as tender.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
If your income and livelyhood is all based around sheep farming and sheep, then a good sheep dog can literally be worth its weight in gold, so whilst a lot of money, I can see the logic behind it in all honesty.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
well at least it's for a decent working dog - not really expensive if you look at the time and effort gone into breeding and training her.... if she's that good at 18 months to come in as top sheep dog she'd be well worth the price.... a lot of sheep dogs are sold at auction and the guy who sold her does need to make a living.

years ago someone was interested in bringing on young dogs for agility but they worked out the costings and it would be really very expensive, plus most people want to do their own training - although a lot get the basics done by a partner!! No one in agility would pay that much, but for a good working sheep dog, then I can see it's good value

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
As others have said, a fully trained sheepdog is worth its weight in gold. I can't comment on that particular dog as I didn't see her work, but have heard mutterings within the working dog world that all is not what it may seem ;)

My hubby trains sheepdogs for himself and also occasionally runs one or two young dogs on, trains them and sells them to shepherds or farmers (usually friends or friends of friends). He has sold one trained working sheepdog at Skipton that made £3600, and I can tell you that he was worth every penny for the amount of hours and time put into his training. His new owner is still delighted with him four years on (and has won trials with the dog, as well as being more than capable of every day hill work).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.