UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you're the longest raw feeding member (to my knowledge) I have just been told that dogs need carbs to metabolise the meat they eat. She had been told this by a Canine Nutritionist.

I've not come across it in my research, but then I don't feed the veg side of things.. so any truth in it?

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Neither the American or EU nutritional guidelines for dogs have any requirement for carbohydrates. There have been a couple of studies that indicate some can be useful (up to around 7% I believe) aöthough do not have them to hand. Did you know liver contains carbs, 12% in beef according to Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw

oops, sorry SLB, Sixstar.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
A load of toot, IMO! :D

If it were true, my dogs and nearly every other raw fed dog, who do not receive carbs in any sizeable quantity in their diet (particually those on prey-model, rather than BARF), wouldn't be as fit and healthy as they are.

I only feed some fruits and vegetables for the dogs enjoyment, and the additional vitamins they offer.

However! I won't pretend to know everything - and there are people who have been feeding raw for much less time than me, but who have done far more research! So, I'd be interested in other peoples views too.

But definitely, in my opinion, dogs do not have any need whatsoever for carbohydrates.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neither the American or EU nutritional guidelines for dogs have any requirement for carbohydrates. There have been a couple of studies that indicate some can be useful (up to around 7% I believe) aöthough do not have them to hand. Did you know liver contains carbs, 12% in beef according to Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beef, variety meats and by-products, liver, raw

oops, sorry SLB, Sixstar.
No - it's entirely fine, you haven't been around lately so I completely forgot. Plus it was an open question really. But I just know Sixstar has Barfed for a long time.

A load of toot, IMO! :D

If it were true, my dogs and nearly every other raw fed dog, who do not receive carbs in any sizeable quantity in their diet (particually those on prey-model, rather than BARF), wouldn't be as fit and healthy as they are.

I only feed some fruits and vegetables for the dogs enjoyment, and the additional vitamins they offer.

However! I won't pretend to know everything - and there are people who have been feeding raw for much less time than me, but who have done far more research! So, I'd be interested in other peoples views too.

But definitely, in my opinion, dogs do not have any need whatsoever for carbohydrates.
Thanks - I've quoted you both on the discussion on FB about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.