Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FAO Greyhound Owners

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rainbowshoes, May 5, 2010.

1. rainbowshoes

rainbowshoes PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Im Gill and im hopefully going to be adopting an 18 month greyhound from a local rescue centre.He will be my first greyhound but not first dog.
    I have done some reading online and have a few questions about what I need to buy for him, if you dont mind.

What sort of bed is good?
    Do I need to get a food bowl stand?
    What type of food would be bet for him?
    Any other essentials you recommend or tips you might have will be very welcome.

Thanks for reading,
    Gill :)

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Welcome to the forum and good on you for taking a rescue in. It's a long time since I had hounds but someone here will put you right.

3. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Hi i have 2 ex-racers who i adopted about the same age. Is he coming from a greyhound rescue or just a general dog rescue?

I just used an old folded up duvet when they first came home which they liked and gives you time to see if they prefer to curl up, nest or stretch out when sleeping and buy something to match as large beds aren't cheap. We decided to get a waterproof covered dog mattress which has been a godsend if there are accidents or muddy paws and dirt/hair doesn't stick to it. They are both currently asleep on the sofa though :lol:

Most people choose to use a raised stand as greyhounds look a bit uncomfortable eating from the ground but it seems debatable about whether it actually reduces the risk of bloat as previously thought. I just use an upturned bowl as a stand as its easier to put out of the way after feeding.

Food is quite dependent on the dog and your budget, it doesn't have to be the food sold for greyhounds though. Its probably best if possible to feed him on what he's used to getting at the rescue initially to avoid an upset gut by a quick change then gradually switch to what you want to feed. I feed skinners F&T salmon & rice which works well for my guys as anything poultry tends to give them bad wind/soft poop, but its often a case of trial and error as what suits one dog might not suit another.

If he's not house trained, just make sure you give him opportunity to go to the loo before taking him indoors and treat him like you would a pup. Greyhounds can be thieves and its easy to forget they can reach to table & worktops so be careful what you leave out;)

#3 2Hounds, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
    DaisyBluebell likes this.
  4. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I would start by just buying a cheap duvet or use an old one if you have one. My ex racer Button shreds beds. She has vet bed to sleep on as it is the only thing she does not chew up. I gave her an old cot quilt the other week and it looked as if it had snowed the next day.:frown: I would let him settle in and find out what he is like before you buy any expensive beds for him.

As for food Button has raw chicken mince twice a day. I always feed my hounds in the morning and again at night. It is better for them to have 2 small meals than 1 big meal a day.

Raised bowls is a matter of opinion. I have them but have stopped as mine didn't really like them. There is a lot of conflicting advise as to whether they help to prevent bloat or not. I lost one of my greyhounds recently due to bloat and he was not greedy and had a bowl on the floor had not been exercises after his meal or directly before It just happened. One thing I would say is use as big a bowl as possible and spread his food about so that he has to route round the bowl to get it rather than just grabbing at it a gobbling it all up.

5. rainbowshoes

Hawksport thankyou, imo there are far too many unwanted greyhounds, its a shame I dont have room for more!

2hounds,he is coming from a general dog rescue but they mainly have greyhounds at the mo. How old are yours now? Thanks for the tips and you're right the beds aren't cheap! When we went to see Teddy today the woman we spoke to saidto keep an eye on food and he will have a biscuit straight out of my little boys hand! Tbh though its my little boy i should watch,he finds it highly amusing to feed my mums dog all of his lunch :)

Freyja, oh no, i can see why you just use a duvet she sounds like quite a character! I will definately get large bowls, bloat scares the hell out of me. What are the symptoms?

#5 rainbowshoes, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  6. hawksport

hawksport Banned

7. rainbowshoes

Thanks hawksport :D

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

William showed none of the normal signs of bloat. He was a barky dog in the night and I always had to get up to let him out for a wee. At 7am he followed me when I fed my whippets then went to sleep at my feet. He was snoring. When I went to move him ay 7.30am he was unconscious and dispite rushing him to the vets he would not he would not have survived the operation we let him go.

With bloat the dog often brings up white foam tries to go to the toilet but can't will cry/ scream as it is very painfull. This is something we can't understand with William as he made no sound at all. Their bellies also bloat out and get very tight like a drum. This to didn't happen with William until he was unconscious.

This is William's story
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/93551-so-sad-william.html

9. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My boys will be 5 this coming September and we adopted them just before there 2nd birthday (they're litter brothers). They reacted quite differently when we first brought them home. Hector couldn't wait to go indoors and behaved like he'd always lived in a house and Throp found it all a bit stressful, didn't want to set foot inside and then spent most of the next few days on his bed in the kitchen rather than be with us. We just left him to relax in his own time rather than over fuss him and he soon came round.

Just watch out for your son going onto Teddy's bed as dogs need somewhere to retreat to and as they've not grown up in a family environment may give him a warning growl/snap as they would another dog rudely invading their space. They also often sleep with their eyes open so children don't tend to realise they're sleeping. Throp has sleep aggression and will sometimes growl/bark at anyone that dares wake him whilst asleep, when awake he's a total sweetheart who loves cuddles :) its easily managed and i just make sure he sleeps out of the way when little people are visiting.

Greyhounds seem to like playing with soft toys so watch out he doesn't nick off with your son's favourite teddy, my boys thought my nephew had brought Big Ted for them and he was quite distraught at the sight of Big Ted between their jaws :blushing:, now when he visits he leaves Big Ted safely tucked up in his bed.

I just asked where Teddy was from as i didn't want to bore you with things you may already know as most greyhound groups load you up with info and hopefully you'll have got some good advice from Teddy's rescue if they deal with a lot of greys. Some general rescue's are not so good and my friend got her 1st grey from one, they didn't even tell her the risks of letting him off lead and its a good job she has some common sense as if she'd tried him in a park he'd of probably coursed a small dog or ran off as there recall can often be selective.

There are some care info sheets on the RGT site if you look on menu it brings up the list. They give adopters a care booklet, but they'll probably send you a copy if you want one. There's also some pinned info for new owners on Greyhound Gap's forum which maybe useful.

Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies -Lee Livingood is an informative, easy read and covers pretty much everything. I read it a lot before i adopted and still occasionally need to look things up. Its American so some of the terminology varies to the UK, but the only real difference is that they expect you will use a crate/cage as racing greyhounds in America tend to be kept crated not kennelled.

Good luck with Teddy :thumbup: (be warned greyhounds are addictive:lol:)

10. rainbowshoes

Freyja thank for the info. Im very sorry about William, it must have been so upsetting for you and totaly out of the blue too :(

2Hounds,your boys sound very funny! Connor will learn some lessons i think then when Teddy moves in! Il be sure to keep him out of Teddy's bed! Do you think giving Teddy his own bear will stop him taking Connors or is it futile? lol
    All youve told me are things I dont know so Im definately looking at those links in a sec!! Its funny ive done quite a bit of reading but theres still so much I dont know, kinda like having kids i guess! :)
    Thanks for your help :D

11. 45mphk9

45mphk9 PetForums Newbie

Hi!

It's great that your adopting a grey, I currently have one a sofa princess whos 3 1/2. She never raced as she just doesn't seem to have a high prey drive at all :). I feed mine raised i just use a upturned bucket to put her bowls on, and tbh anything soft to lie on is fair game for a grey, be prepared to lose your sofa..bed..rug :D. I grew up around greys as my father bred them to race, and i have to say there the best breed of dog ( im soo biased:rolleyes:).

Good luck and enjoy your new baby!

Theres a excellent grey forum you should take alook www.greytalk.com

12. rainbowshoes

Hi 45mphk9,
    Thanksfor the link il take a look! Yeah im am prepared to lose all my comfy places :) Teddy was never raced either, not quick enough. Its so sad that so many are just given up.
    Teddy doesnt come back when called with anyone, im hoping that once he moves in with us and some trust is earnt then it shouldnt be too hard to train him. Any tips? :)

13. 45mphk9

45mphk9 PetForums Newbie

Teddy:D what a great name!

Just be consistent with them, they can be very very manipulative to get there own way, they will wake u up 'just because', they will refuse food because they want what your having!. Maddison doesnt have a good recall I don't let her off her leash, I take her to the local basketball court while the kids are all at school shut the gate and let her run!. I would never trust her off the leash in open spaces.

Your going to have so much fun, greyhounds are like no other dog you will have met :rolleyes:.

Its a shame there given up yes, but just think alot more now are adopted than they used to be!. & the racers are well looked after, even if the owners don't want there dog or feel love for there dog like a pet, they have to protect there 'investment' by looking after them well.

Have fun & keep me updated, can't wait to see some pics of your new boy!:thumbup:

14. rainbowshoes

It is a great name, unfortunately I cant take credit for it! Il post some pictures when we get him :) heres his link on the site though Needing a Home
    Oh and I tried registering with that forum and it said my email address has been banned, bit odd, does the site not like hotmail?

15. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I have recently rehomed a 16 month old greyhound bitch.

What sort of bed is good?
    I use a hard plastic dog bed with loads of fleecey blankets in
    Do I need to get a food bowl stand?
    Its not compulsory, they used to say it helps prevent bloat, however, new research says that it makes no difference, I have a special bowl with plastic mounts in it to divide the food to make it slower for them to eat.
    What type of food would be bet for him?
    Anything thats of good quality. Arden Grange, Burns, Orijen, James Wellbeloved. You may find you will need to add a bit of meat, Sardines in spring water are good, you can buy them from Sainsburys, or chicken etc
    Any other essentials you recommend or tips you might have will be very welcome.
    Just lots of cuddles, and toys, greyhound coats are very good as they feel the cold very easily. You can get them on the internet from "Jans greyhound and lurcher gifts" fleeces etc..
    Also a greyhound house collar is good, fabric collar instead of the leather ones they wear outside.
    Just plenty of love, he may be a bit timid at first, as he is a rescue and not used to the idea of being in a family, but should come out of his shell in a week ish time.

Good luck and all the best, if you have any questions, PM me :)

xxx

16. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Teddy's gorgeous :001_wub:

Greytalk doesn't normally allow free email accounts to help block spammers, but if you don't have an alternative i think you need to select support from the menu and raise a ticket asking if they will allow yours. Sometimes you get email accounts with your internet provider, i used my student email and then later requested a change to a free email which was fine.

If you live in Leicestershire White Lodge RGT run monthly greyhound walks in the county, it doesn't matter if your grey came from elsewhere and they are very friendly :) we've gone a few of their walks as my mum lives out that way.

#16 2Hounds, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  17. 45mphk9

45mphk9 PetForums Newbie

Oh! you need your paid for e-mail addy to sign up! :thumbup:

18. 45mphk9

45mphk9 PetForums Newbie

What a confident stunning looking boy:001_wub:

19. rainbowshoes

Thankyou both I fell in love as soon as I saw his picture and then we met him and he and my 19 month old son got on like a house on fire straight away, chasing each other round and giving each other kisses. It definately sealed the deal! Just cant wait for my home visit now :)
    Thanks Keelyjane19 i didnt think ofa more comfy collar for indoors and Ilkeep the pm offer in mind!
    2hounds I do live near leicestershire(rutland) so il check that out.
    I didnt get an email address when i signed up to O2 broadband so I will raise a ticket now:)

Thanks everyone this forum is so helpful! :D

20. Amuseboots

Amuseboots PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

We've just adopted a 5 year old retired racer greyhound called Romeo five days ago. He's doing very well with stairs, toileting and food manners but really really struggling with getting him in my five door car. We have been trying everyday for the past three days with all sorts - toys, high value treats like chicken/ sausage but he just does not want to jump in freely. I've tried opening all the doors so it doesn't feel small and ive got a comfortable duvet all padded out for him. Ive tried getting there myself and coaxing in.

We managed to get him to jump in really easily when we first bought him a squeaky toy but he wanted to get straight back out. Now the toy won't work either. Could it be the height? Has anyone got any tips? Would really appreciate any advice as ideally i wanted to bring him to work! I was thinking a ramp might help it be easier to get him in but they are so expensive i don't want to stress him out by lifting him in (also pretty heavy).

Thanks
    Amy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice