Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FAO cat owners in apt's

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Hi

Last night i left decker and tidbit in my room as i went to the kitchen for one last snack before i headed to bed. Now decker has always slept in my room as she will go after my mom's cat and she often just went to sleep then would wake me up at six by gnawing on my face lol

But since tidbits been here she has slept in my room as well as whenever ive shut my door on her she has sat on the other side and pitfully meowed until i let her. Now i dont have a problem with this tho when i move into an apt with my bf the cat wont be allowed in the bedroom.

As i was downstair i could here both decker and tidbit running around chaseing each other , play fighting and ruff houseing. Now the problem is i could here them quite clearly so i know this will be a problem when we move into an apt and have people living below us.

so i was wondering if anyone had any stories about how they fixed this or a way they comprimsed or somthing so i can prepare for the move?

thanks.

2. Riverwish

Riverwish PetForums Member

I used to live in a flat and the people below us had cats, I never heard a peep out of them.

I think they build flats with thicker floors than other buildings, i've lived in a few now and noise has never been an issue. I could sometimes hear upstairs's washing machine but only faintly. I think you'll be fine :)

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I used to live on a ground floor flat & never ever heard upstairs unless our windows were open as were theirs'. They are designed for peace of mind so what you may hear in your house you probably will not hear in a flat.

4. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

I have 3 cats and I live in an apartment on the 6th floor, with neighbours above and below!
    Fortunately though, I've never let them sleep in the room with me. I do often hear them whine when me or my oh goes to bed and it can be quite frustrating. However they are used to it now and it is very rare that that they continue after 5 minutes or so.
    I think the best thing you can do is be firm and ignore their whining for you (unless you think it is serious of course) at night until they get used to the new night time arrangement.
    As for their rough play - cats will be cats! Are they neutered? My cats got much tamer once they had that done.
    I've never had any complaints from the neighbours yet!
    Hope this helps!

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Ill im worried about is someone complaining and i know the boyfriend wont be pleased if i tell him that there causeing problems.

I fiind there play fighting funny, there such goof balls lol :eek:

decker is fixed , horris will fixed on sept 1st and tidbit will be when she gets older.

6. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

If the bf is not happy...get a new bf hehe xx

7. Miss.PuddyCat

haha my boyfriend doesnt mind them as long as they arent on the counters. I just dont want someone complaining about my cats and have to poissible move or if it would cause other problems.

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

this is true. our downstaires neighbours have a new born baby that cries alot so they say. he apologised to my oh for the noise but we cant hear a thing. the floors in flats are alot thicker and they have appropriate sound minimisers in (excuse spellin) if your still worried you cud jst get a really thick underlay for your carpets or floorin thatll help with noise

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

jst an idea. if you let your neighbours no you have cats and to let you no if they experience any noise they wnt be complainin to the landlord and you can stop watever the problem was

10. Miss.PuddyCat

Ill build up some confidence to talk to the people, the apt's were looking at are in a pet friendly place :eek:

its the first time ill be living on my own so i want to cover all the bases .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice