Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fantastic Walk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Helbo, May 1, 2011.

1. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I just wanted to tell you all what a fantastic walk I had with Charlie this morning.

I took him to our usual field usual time (as I do wind, snow, rain or shine) and there was another Beagle there - I was surprised as there aren't many in my local area so we went over to say hello. The owner and dog were both very friendly so I let Charlie off lead to play whilst we chatted about our favourite breed ;).

We ended up staying for about 90 minutes as it seemed like a new dog turned up to join in every 5 minutes! Ended up with a big group of dogs all offead all playing nicely together - Beagles, a Ridgeback, a Dalmation, a Greyhound, a Springer, a King Charles Spaniel, a Labrador...and several others.

It was wonderful to see. Us owners in a big group talking and watching the dogs, the dogs playing close by in a big group, no nipping or fighting, just chasing and playing with the toys various owners had brought. It really made me wish there was a safe dog park nearby so that this could be a regular thing rather than a once off.

In the end I had to drag Charlie away so he didn't get too exhausted. I know he shouldn't have been out running around so long as he's only 10 months old, but it was so nice to see him enjoying himself so much. Luckily we only live a couple of minutes away from the field.

It was also nice to find relaxed owners, who were in control of their offlead friendly dogs who encouraged their dogs to meet and play with others. :D

2. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Wow what a range of breeds to have playing together all at once, it must have been lovely to see! I find dog owners round my area like to keep themselves to themselves and don't like their dogs to "play"!

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Sounds as though everyone enjoyed it. :) Makes such a difference to a walk when everyone gets on.

4. Martyn

Martyn PetForums Junior

Great isn't it when they play like that. Thankfully I live a 15 minute drive from a country park and Eddie my Border Terrier gets to play like that every day. Well, maybe not quite as many dogs everyday but he mets loads.

5. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Charlie always gets to meet lots of dogs on the field, but the owners are typically grumpy in my opinion. They don't want to stop and chat, sometimes don't even say hello back to me [!! and i'm not dodgy looking - honest!! :) ] and they don't want their dog to play with anyones.

In fact - it's even rare to see an owner play ball or anything with their dogs too in my area. If Charlie wants to play with other dogs we usually have to go to the beach but that means a very dirty dog by the end of it.

It was just nice to see so many dogs playing - being allowed to play - and playing nicely! :)

6. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Sound like you and Charley have had fun on your walk. :001_smile:

We go out at the same time every morning simply because we see the same people with the same dogs and they all get to play together. It's great for the dogs and it gives us humans something to do when the dogs are playing. :D:D

7. lexie2010

lexie2010 PetForums Senior

ah thats lovely and i am jealous! lexie would have such fun wish that could happen where i am!

8. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

Looks like yesterday was a one-off. No dogs around today.

But that meant a nice undisturbed walk where we could practice recall on his long lead. He got lots of tasty rewards so I don't think he minded the lack of playmates :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice