Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fantail Goldfish eating bubbles then floats

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Calicogoldies, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Calicogoldies

Calicogoldies PetForums Newbie

I'm new to this forum so hello everyone!

So, I have a very silly Goldfish!

I've had my two cutie Goldfish for 6 weeks now and have noticed that one of them keeps eating bubbles on and off throughout the day, then she eventually starts floating to the top of the tank.
    Once I notice her buoyancy issue I feed her a cut up pea, she's goes to the loo, then she's back to normal.

Do any of you know how I can encourage her to stop eating those bubbles please!

I should point out the other Goldfish isn't effected at all, other than this they're very healthy, their ammonia and nitrite is 0 and their PH is between 7 and 8.

I use sinking pellets which I've tried soaking to help them pass food in case that's the problem, but really I think i just have a dopey fishy who thinks bubbles are food.

This is worth a mention too, my partner noticed she seemed more interested in the bubbles when her tank light came on this morning.

Your help would be really appreciated!

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Sorry I don't know too much about goldies and have never seen a fish display this behaviour, but couldn't you just switch the bubbles off? (I assume they're produced by an air pump not the filter?) Air pumps do very little for oxygenation as gas exchange happens at the surface rather than through bubbles, so as long as your filter output agitates the surface of the water, you should be fine without the air pump.

It could also be a swim bladder issue - fancy goldies are rather prone to them.

Calicogoldies likes this.
  3. Calicogoldies

Thanks for your reply, yeah thinking the same, I switched their air pump off last night. I'll watch her this week to see how she goes :) I'm crossing my fingers it's not a genetic problem she has! I'm not gonna feed them today either just to make sure it's not to do with her eating too much.

NaomiM likes this.
  4. Calicogoldies

Thought I'd write a little update,

She's been doing fine but today I noticed she's slowly floating to the top again, so I reckon she must be prone to constipation.

I'm gonna try feeding them every other day and see if that helps her. Wish us luck! Hehe

NaomiM likes this.
  5. Calicogoldies

Success!!

I no longer have a floating Goldie!

My Dad gave me his goldfish food (Tetra Goldfish Gold Exotic) as his goldfish of around 20 years sadly passed away. You can't get a much better food review than a happy Goldie for that long!
    It's also a vegetable based food which I think is key to my goldfish being happier and less floaty.

When I purchased my fish they were out of the Tetra Gold and the man in the shop suggested I purchased "NTLabs Fancy Goldfish" food, which is made from blood and fish meal. Which I think was too much protein for my goldfish.

My Dad had always used magnet therapy on his fish too by keeping very large magnets next to the tank, facing the north pole of the magnet towards the tank. This always used to get rid of black spots when they appeared on the fish's fins.

I've been feeding my girls the Tetra Gold all week and have put the magnets underneath the tank, with fantastic results.

NO more floating Goldie's! I'm so chuffed!

kittih likes this.
  6. Calicogoldies

So another update with good and not so good results!

Blimey this is up and down!

My Goldy was happy as larry, enjoying the new food, then she started getting blocked up and started floating again!

So for the last 4 days I've been feeding them Repashy Super Gold gel food and she's no longer floating haha!

I've read good things about it and that the wet food helps fancy goldfish with digestion so hopefully it'll last this time :)

Also the goldies seem to go crazy for it!

I've still got the magnets against the tank so hopefully that will benefit my ladies too.

*It's worth mentioning that I have fantail Goldfish and my Dad used to have common goldfish, I think mine are a little more prone to tummy blockages hence why Tetra worked for a short time.

*It's also worth a mention that my other fantail has been happy and healthy with all of the food I've given haha it's just her sister that's the trouble maker.

If I can crack this, I hope it will help other folks in the same position with their Goldie's.

7. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

What size tank are they in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice