Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fancy Rats

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Engel98, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Hopefully in the near future I will be getting some fancy rats. Now I'm not new to owning rats but wouldn't consider myself a pro either.

The cage I have is suitable for 4 rats according to different rat cage calculators and my own calculations. However I will only be having 2 in this space.

I'll be using paper based bedding like carefresh, fitch and breeders select as these have been tried and tested and work for me and all the rats I've had.

They'll be fed science selective pellets as my previous rats did well in these too and at the time was considered one of the best foods. Hopefully that is still the case.

I have several hammocks that are all different shapes and sizes as well as 2 sputniks (space pods), bendy bridges, tunnels and houses. They'll have litter boxes, a digging box as well as a scramble net, water bottles, water bowls, food bowls and chews.

Is there anything I've missed so far?

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Well, they're home. Meet Inky (white on face) and Splat (all black with white on tummy). They're 8 weeks old and super tiny.
    IMG_20200619_201532264.jpg IMG_20200619_200308572.jpg

3. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

So, you're not getting gerbils now?

4. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

Rats do better on mix type foods rather than nuggets on the whole. You can either whip up a mix yourself using the shunamite guidelines or ratrations sells superb mixes.

Care fresh can be dusty, a lot of rat owners are using dust extracted shavings now such as bedmax or littlemax, so something to consider if you fancy trying something new.

They certainly are tiny! Where are they from? They look small for 8 weeks. Get some chicken wings and scrambled egg down them they are going to need lots of protein to grow

ETA I would ditch the food bowls and scatter feed. Much more fun for them than a dish and it stops one hogging all the nice bits

5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Maybe in the future but sometimes the devil you know. The gerbils I was going to adopt, one of them had died and the other would only be rehomed if I already had gerbils and I couldn't find any anywhere so I thought best leave it :(

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I have tried mixes (shop bought) with all my lot and they were picking out the bits they liked and left the rest so this time I'm using nuggets. I havent tried the shunamite guidelines or ratrations. (I completely forgot about the ratrations website) so I'll look into those. (They were weaned onto pellets so for now they'll stay on it until I find something more suitable.)

Carefresh is what they've got while waiting for the fitch as I prefer that and it's not dusty really. What's bedmax made of? I thought hemp which im allergic to hence why I haven't tried it.

They're from the midlands (breeder and social distancing was followed not like that matters as they're meant to be scrapping it).

I was wondering about protein. I assume babies need higher protein compared to adults. Was thinking of mealworms? Some pumpkin seeds (sparingly). Veggies every other day. Not straight away as they're still settling in. But that's what I'm going to be building up to.

How much egg? Don't want to overload them.

Will scatter feed eventually it's just a temporary thing at the moment to ensure they're eating (which they really are omg little pigs) also going to offer a water bowl along side the bottle as well but got to figure out how to prevent them plopping into it. :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer to my post, it's appreciated. If you think of anything else please let me know.

7. anachronism

If you are feeding a mix and they are leaving bits you are offering too much ;)

Bedmax/littlemax is wood shavings. There was a big thing about woodshavings being no good for rats years back but dust extracted ones are absolutely fine and would be a lot better for smell than fitch I would imagine.

They need extra protein until about 12 weeks. An egg between them is fine. A good site for info is the Isamu site if you fancy a Web guide to hand. The scuttling gourmet is also a brilliant book in regards of rat nutrition

8. anachronism

If you are feeding a mix and they are leaving bits you are offering too much ;)

Bedmax/littlemax is wood shavings. There was a big thing about woodshavings being no good for rats years back but dust extracted ones are absolutely fine and would be a lot better for smell than fitch I would imagine.

They need extra protein until about 12 weeks. An egg between them is fine. A good site for info is the Isamu site if you fancy a Web guide to hand. The scuttling gourmet is also a brilliant book in regards of rat nutrition

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I've ordered ratrations no9 meant for kits up to 12 weeks and some supplement which they recommend along side it for copper, vit D and something else. I'll mix it in with pellets to begin with then gradually take them off it.

Or I may still add pellets alongside so they don't go to waste. I'll have to find a food calculator so I can ensure the mix of foods is balanced for them and their life stage (which I'm going to read up on now)

Regarding woodshavings, that's interesting. I use paper bedding (fitch) for my hamsters so I would have it anyway. To the human nose it's not strong smelling, smells like paper but not chemically? Hams like digging and foraging in it so assumed the rats would too :)

I'll have a look for isamu and the book

Thanks

Edit: just realised what you meant by smell...:Hilarious my brains not with it at the moment lol

#9 Engel98, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  10. AnneMarie Thomson

AnneMarie Thomson PetForums Newbie

A nice sand box? My one used to like that. I loved my rat. Post some pictures please when you get them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice