Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Family think Daisy is skinny... ?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Becki&Daisy, May 22, 2010.

1. Becki&Daisy

Becki&Daisy PetForums Senior

And although i think she is perfectly healthy looking i do admit she is on the thin side.

She used to eat her james wellbeloved pouches without fail but i switched her to the james wellbeloved fish kibble.
    She will never sit there and eat all the biscuits like she used to ages ago with her wet food.
    I do the taking food away then putting it down again after 30 mins or so. but still nothing.
    so now i leave the food down because otherwise she doesn't eat...

I've posted loads of pics recently and i don't think she looks too skinny.
    But what is a good food to help put weight on?
    i dont want TOO much weight just a bit... she has bad knees...

Should i leave her on the same food but for puppies?
    Back on the wet food would be so expensive and i do prefer her on kibble...

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be worrying too much hun Luna and Sky are both terrible for putting on weight. Luna finally seems to be getting there now and weighs 38.1kg but Sky has dropped 6kg.

How much does she weigh now?

3. Becki&Daisy

to be perfectly honest i don't really know...

I do worry about her not eating but then at the same time it's kind of a blessing because she is just so un-interested with food.
    I know if she was hungry she'd eat...

I guess it's just when other people mention it- especially family!- you start to think maybe something is wrong...
    :confused1:

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Go get her weighed, you'll have a starting point then :D
    Another thing to look out for is can you see her ribs but not see them? They should have a thin layer of fat but you should still be able to feel them easily.

Sky is uninterested in food. It will take her over an hour to eat 300g of food :confused1:

5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Just as with humans everyone has a different metabolism (sp). e.g Alf is a skinny little (big) runt, he is constantly on the go on walks and weighs just over 16kg but is fed on a 25/30kg weight (according to the dry food ratios). Arnie on the other hand is one of those dogs that put weight on just thinking about that extra sausage. According to my mam Alf is underweight (no he's not you can feel the ribs slightly but not see them, and Arnie is just right i.e big boned. :lol: (no he's not he could do with a pound or so shifting) I think that everyone has their own ideals as to what a dog should look like, my mam prefers the slightly overweight look (to my mind) whilst I prefer em to just look healthy. I suppose what I'm trying to say is as long as you know in your own mind that Daisy is ok then try to ignore what others say. ;) Unless of course your vet expresses a concern. :D

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I prefer them on the skinny side too :yesnod:

Sky has so much energy and has a high metabolism but she's not that interested in food so she's up and down like a yo-yo!

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Ditto..........alf is occasionaly interested in treats when on walks, but only if its sausage, the look of disgust on his face when only offered biscuits is a sight to be seen. :lol:

8. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

Hiyas hun

people thought Oozy was under weight at one point and then suddenly one day he put on weight, now I worry he is gonna get fat lol (I have opposite prob Oozy will eat anything going apart from hotdogs)

Im sure if she is hungry she will eat, maybe she just isnt a kibble eater, my friends dog hates kibble and refuses to o more than a little nibble, but put WainWrights down and gone in a flash, her dogs about 18 months and always been like this, he's a heinz 57 :)

I use the 0-12 Wainwrights in trays 79p, lasts bout 2 to 2/12 days depending if Oozy has a bit of kibble, he has the Turkey and Rice trays and matching kibble, worked out bit cheaper than pouches, its an idea if your thinking to change food. (plus can get it delivered if im busy)

9. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

:DArrrr.... try and not worry, I don't think she is skinny by looking at you pictures on you profile. My dogs don't eat all their dry food when I put it down, in fact they only eat it straight away if I mix something into it!! They only eat treats if they really like them (very fussy) You should be able to feel her ribs, and it's better for her to be like that then overweight!!
    My older dog maisie will go 2 days sometimes without eating.

I mix fish oil into thier dry food every morning for breakfast and they both love it!! but dinner time it sometimes just dry and they both turn noses up and it's often still there the next morning

10. Becki&Daisy

aww thanks guys this really was nice waking up to your replies!
    she is boney- cuddles sometimes hurt! haha
    but you definately cant SEE the bones...

she is extremely active, we take her on nice long walks and she is just non stop running when we go out.
    i think she def runs off more than she's taking in but i feel happier now that she's fine :thumbup:

thanks so much everyone

11. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I haven't read all the post thoroughly so appologies if this is repeated, but if you're happy with her and she's happy in herself I would't put weight on her, especially if she has bad knees. Much better to keep her lean. :)

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Yes, I think most people are so used to seeing tubby dogs that a lean, fit one looks underweight to them.:(
    Esp if they have that kinda fluffy terrier shape, you often see them waddling along like little barrels.

13. Becki&Daisy

Yeah i mean i've always said she's thin and doesn't eat much..

but at the same time i think she looks perfectly healthy...
    just when you think that and then close family make you think otherwise you do doubt yourself.

I'm going to keep her on the food she's on. and keep feeding her how i'm feeding her. :)

14. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Zeus is roughly the correct weight, but he looks fat. Zeus weighs 4.5 stone.

Whereas Milo looks skinny, but weighs the same as Zeus lol. Milo also weighs 4.5 stone.

Very weird that.

15. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Mine are back on Burns, same price as JWB but cheaper to feed as they eat less due to it being so good!

Cleo has piled on the pounds to the point she i getting 60g a day!! Yes 60g a day!! She was 8.2 kg and is supposed to be 7 and is stable on that weight!

xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice