Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Family Dogs Pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ThorAkitaLover, Jan 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorAkitaLover

ThorAkitaLover PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I am new onto this forum, specifically to get some advice on the current family situation involving our dogs. So, my dog Thor (male) and my Nan's dog Sansa (female) are usual playmates and in September, at the end of Sansa's season, we met up for a play date for the dogs. It just so happened that Thor managed to get his way with her and in November, we welcomed 8 puppies. We went to the vet about a week or so prior and they advised us that they didn't believe she was pregnant. So we were not prepared.
    Anyway, flash forward to now and my Nan has been convinced by other family members that she should keep all the money made from the puppies. I understand 'studding' and how the works but this wasn't a business deal, a pure accident and originally we only wanted approximately 20%, if that?
    I just wanted some advice on what to do please. I have asked others outside of my family and they think we are in the right and the usual of the payment of the 'stud' shouldn't even come into it as that is not the situation at all...

I would like other people's opinions.

Thank you in advance :)

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Did you pay for any of the care for the mum or puppies? Vet visits, food, cleaning etc
    Or did you put in any of the time and effort for caring for mum and pups?
    If not, you aren't entitled to anything.
    You dont have any claim over the puppies or money just because you own the male, especially since all of this was an "accident".

Torin., Sairy, Lurcherlad and 4 others like this.
  3. Jessykai

Jessykai PetForums Newbie

You haven’t studded your dog out though, you were irresponsible and let him cover your nans dog. Studs charge a stud fee, but they have paid for health testing etc to ensure they are a good dog to use for breeding.

Your nan has had the bitch, she has born responsibility for all the risks (would you have offered to pay the vet bill if things went wrong?)
    She has paid the increased costs of food, flea/worm for the puppies, been liable for any vets bills for the puppies etc. Not to mention the time and cleaning up after them etc.

assuming it was a genuine accident and not a misguided attempt at cashing in on the current puppy craze, then you’d be better trying to find a rescue to help place the puppies and being thankful that they will have support and back up for the rest of there lives.

If it wasn’t an accident, then realistically you should be entitled to less than the cost of the usual stud fee for your breed to take into account he’s not health tested.

and yes, I did create an account to reply to this although I’ve been a lurker for years.

Burrowzig, Torin., mrs phas and 6 others like this.
  4. ThorAkitaLover

I have paid for anything she's needed, took time to care for the puppies and mum as well and have offered anything I could for her.

I didn't realise so many people are so insensitive on this page.

I know I didn't stud him, this is what my family are saying that we should be relating to money-wise. I didn't know how much money changes people really.

And all puppies have been reserved currently. I am not one to be taking the piss and grabbing money out of my own family's hand, thank you very much.
    My dog is more health tested than hers so assuming that is wrong on your part. I just wanted some advice and not to be judged.

5. Jessykai

Jessykai PetForums Newbie

If you have paid money towards the bitch and care etc, the only “fair”way is to work out a what % of the bitch and puppies costs that equates to, and request that % of the “profits”.

so what health tests has your dog undergone?

O2.0 and simplysardonic like this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Just for my own morbid curiosity, your nan's dog doesn't happen to be the same breed as your dog does she?

Rafa and LinznMilly like this.
  7. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Stud fee definitely shouldnt come into it, is was an 'accident' so there was no stud contract in place. Hopefully the money can go towards your nan's dog being spayed so an incident like this doesnt happen again.

lorilu, Torin., Sarah H and 5 others like this.
  8. ThorAkitaLover

#8 ThorAkitaLover, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  9. ThorAkitaLover

I already booked this for her as soon as this happened, so is his castration, the little bugger! Thank you so much for understanding lovely. We don't want loads of money, we're just not like that! :)

10. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

That's good then, if you have paid towards treatment for the pups then reimbursement would be fair, plus using the money from the puppies to pay for both operations.

Torin., Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. ThorAkitaLover

Exactly the plan! I'm going to sit down with my Nan and have a good old chat. Some family are just backwards I think... always at least one in the family! Have a nice day lovely :)

12. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Christ on a bike! What rommie rescue is doling our dogs now without even spaying them first?!
    And why on earth did your nan not spay her? How old is she?

Burrowzig, Torin., Sairy and 5 others like this.
  13. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

That is appalling.

The entire thing is appalling, quite frankly.

Shame on everyone involved, including the so called 'rescue'.

Burrowzig, lorilu, Torin. and 7 others like this.
  14. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

I'm guessing this is probably the litter in question. There's certainly not going to be an issue paying for both parents to be neutered with money from the proceeds!

It's worth noting that the income from this litter may need to be declared to HMRC so appropriate tax can be paid. You can check whether or not that's the case here.

Burrowzig, Torin., O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Excellent detective work, interestingly no mention of any health testing despite the wordiness of the advert.

'First litter' is also concerning, suggesting subsequent matings may be planned.

It's possible the rescue rehomed the bitch as a pup & may have had a neutering contract in place, so they could be potentially absolved of blame, but it's not unknown for the less reputable Romanian rescues to bring unneutered dogs over.

O2.0 and LinznMilly like this.
  16. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

I have a Rommie rescue and the decent rescues that I am aware of there, would never send a dog here that hadn't been neutered.I know there are a lot of bad so called rescues there and I think this is shameful.Presumably,she came here for a better life where she would be free of the risk of bringing more puppies into the world, when there are literally thousands and thousands that will never find a home.I hope you will have her neutered and consider asking a rescue to ensure that the puppies get a chance of getting a decent home.If so,I am sure they would welcome a donation to cover the costs incurred.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh but it undermines everything that rescue should be about,in my opinion.

Burrowzig, Nicola234, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  17. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Really you should be using any profits from this puppy sale to go towards spay/neutering costs and vet bills. Anything left over could be donated to a dog rescue to help others.
    You really dont want to profit over a stupid mistake that could of endangered the lifes of the mum and pups and added to the problem of unwanted pups do you?

18. ThorAkitaLover

Funny how you ask for advice on something and get attacked. I have found nothing but rudeness and insensitivity on this page.
    A pure accident happened and only one or two people came across genuinely nice. The fact that none of you know half of the story and trying to blame everyone involved for everything and anything. Ask nicely and I would have explained.
    The fact that you have tried to find my advert then attempted to call me and my Nan out for Tax is absolutely appalling, even the 'staff', whatever that means!
    Some people need to take a look in the mirror and have a long hard look at themselves.

If anyone knows how to delete an account please do let me know. I'm done with this website. Even after looking at other people's posts and comments on them. Ridiculous and unbelievable people in this world.

19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

£1,200????? Jesus!

Burrowzig, O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  20. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Your dog may have accidentally impregnated your nan's dog, but it was you & your family's choice to continue the pregnancy, & in a rescue dog as well!

You & your family made a poor & unethical choice regardless of how you try to justify it & throw your toys out of the pram.

I don't feel any need to delete the thread at this time, it's a public forum & I don't feel we should sweep poor practice under the rug, plus maybe any future rescues you approach for more dogs will see this & blacklist you.

I hope you enjoy all the money you've made from your dogs.

Burrowzig, Nicola234, lorilu and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice