Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

False pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Wellington21, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Wellington21

Wellington21 PetForums Junior

It looks as if my 2 year old has gone into a false pregnancy. The only noticeable change in her is that her teets have got bigger and excreting milk. She finished her season 7 weeks ago. She hasn't started nesting or anything like that so i'm wondering if i leave her to come out of it herself or do i need to speak to the vet and get something to take her milk away? She was due to get spayed in July but went into season 2 days before her date for getting spayed. She will be getting spayed again as soon as possible.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If she finished her season 7 weeks ago then she would still be in di-estrus where although the external signs of a season have gone, the hormone levels are still raised and the reproductive tract is still under the influence of the hormones. That's the most common time for phantoms and infections to occur if they are going too.

Some will become clingy and whingey, teats get enlarged and they will produce milk, some will even start to collect up inanimate objects usually toys and treat them like babies carrying them around and some will also start nesting.

You do have to be careful if they are producing a lot of milk as sometimes they can get mastitis which is a bacterial infection. The teats would become hot, swollen very firm or hard, and often painful to the touch. If they become very infected they will get very dark too, and can even rupture and you will get a pussy discharge which often is foul smelling.

If they seem OK you could wait and just keep an eye on her for a few days, and just keep a watch for signs of possible problems. If you are concerned or worried now just give your surgery a call, and ask your vet if he thinks she needs to be seen right away, or if you should just keep a watch on her and see how she goes. If your having her spayed it might not be a bad idea anyway. Usually bitches are spayed about 12/13 weeks after a season once all the hormone levels have returned to normal. So as she is having a phantom it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask about when to spay her, the phantom will need to be over likely before you can.

3. Wellington21

Thank you for your reply.
    Never having witnessed a false pregnancy before I am totally freaking out (uncalled for I know).
    Yes, she is clingy and is totally ignoring the new pup we have had for 5 weeks (I say ignoring - more can't be bothered with her just now). She is sleeping a lot more and has lots of heavy breathing and sighing. She's not nesting or collecting her toys (maybe that will come before she comes out of it).

Going to have her spayed as soon as we can once the phantom has gone.

4. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I'd speak to the vet. Exactly the same happened to Bess. At first the vet told us to wait to see how it went, but after a couple of weeks prescribed a hormone treatment - Galastop - which put her to rights straight away.

I didn't like seeing my girl uncomfortable, so if it happened again I'd go to the vets straight away to get the treatment.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  5. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I agree with dogless and sled dog my dog has had 2 phantoms.

Her first phantom was less scary and settled quite quickly, although she produced milk and was quite miserable. Best advice I had was keep her exercised, don't allow licking of the nipples and don't rub her tummy or nipples yourself as this stimulates milk production. Don't encourage nesting with toys etc. Just carry on as normal and jolly her along but keep an eye on her temperature.

My girl was quite unwell with her 2nd phantom as it happened after her spay even though she was 13 weeks post season when she was spayed. My dog was producing copious amounts of milk and got quite a high temperature with mastitis. She ended up the Galastop, anti-inflammatories for her temperature and discomfort plus antibiotics, although the vet said it was unusual for dogs to be quite as poorly as she was and to develop this after a spay at that point in her cycle.

Personally I would have a consultation with the vet to settle your mind

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  6. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I'm flattered by the mix up! :D

7. Sled dog hotel

Di estrus is also the most likely time to have infections as well as phantom pregnancies, if she is a lot more lethargic and seems depressed uninterested in things in general and by heavy breathing you mean panting a lot more then usual. Have you checked to make sure there is no re-occurance of discharge can be anything from normal looking for a season to thickened and odd coloured, if there is discharge then I would be concerned. Having said this you don't always get a discharge the infection can get sealed in, in which case you don't know until the dog becomes ill. Other signs may also be off food, and especially drinking more then usual and urinating more.

Sometimes for the sake of a consulation charge, its better to be told they are fine, then miss something.

8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Sorry Bessie dog the smell of fox poo left me confuse and disorientated this morning.

Its still killing me after 3 baths :eek:

9. Sled dog hotel

Grooming : Fox Poo Shampoo

10. Wellington21

Thank you for al your replies. I decided to take her to the vet yesterday and have her checked out. Was given Galastop to give her and can't believe the difference in her today. Hated seeing her so out of sorts. Spaying also booked for November.

Thanks again

11. Sled dog hotel

Sounds like you did the right thing especially as it seems to have helped and shes much calmer and happier already.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice