Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

False/phantom pregnancies

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by jenniferh, Apr 23, 2011.

1. jenniferh

jenniferh PetForums Junior

My mum's dog has had her 4th season about two months ago and is now in the throws of a false pregnancy.

She is nesting all over the house and brings a toy around with her all day. Iv tried separating her from the 'puppy' but she cries and cries. Her behaviour has changed a bit as well and she is a lot more wary of visitors the the house.

Today I noticed some drops of milk on her. Whats the best way of getting the milk to dry up again? Iv read about hormonal injections etc but I don't really want to go down that route. Has anybody any advice please?

How do you ease the symptoms of false pregnancies?

Do other bitches who are shown (and therefore not spayed) get false pregnancies throughout their lives? Iv read that they increase in severity over time and that is true of Cassie.

2. jenniferh

jenniferh PetForums Junior

Oh and just to add, she hasn't been spayed yet because her breeder and my mum have been planning a litter from her. A lot of thought, consideration and hard work has gone into this. However we have decided that if we don't breed her her next season then she will be spayed.

3. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

False pregnancies make me so sad!

I don't know how much this will help you but raspberry leaves are meant to stop false pregnancies! On a season you are not breeding them you give the raspberry leaves from the first day of their season and for 9 weeks apparently it works!

4. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Try to do nothing about the milk if you can help it - try and encourage 'normal' every day life. Do try and keep an eye on her teats in case she gets mastitis in which case a trip to the vets may be in order for AB's / Galastop.

my eldest has had a number of phantoms, only one where we have had to use Galastop and then even I knew he hadn't - I was CONVINCED my boy had got to her !! (he hadn't).

She's had two litters successfully and has also stepped in during a phantom to save the lives of two pups who would surely have died without her, a born mother she is bless her (don't know where her eldest daughter came from !!)

I have my reasons for not neutering my two eldest girls (the other one hasn't been bred from) - but have held off over concerns of pack dynamics - I've seen problems in the past and with 7 dogs here, I really cannot afford to risk changing them :(

Hope she will be OK

Sparkle - I will do some research on the Raspberry leaf and may try that in the future - thanks :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice