Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fair trade

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CharleyRogan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

It really annoys me companies advertise they are fair trade and make a big thing bout it as if they should get a good Rep for it. They should do it anyway and shouldn't need to advertise oh look at me I actually give the country I bought this off a fair deal.

2. davidc

davidc PetForums VIP

Not quite the same, but Galaxy are annoying with their frog logo making out they are saving the rainforest on one hand with their cocoa. But on the other hand, they are using the palm oil that is destroying it.

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

We all know they are doing it to increase profits as they think they look kinder, but I agree its the kind of thing they should be doing anyway. But wouldnt that eat into easy profits or make someone work for their salary? :rolleyes:

4. stigDarley

stigDarley PetForums Senior

We explain to people that our bedding is made by a charity that helps woman who has escaped human trafficking and domestic violence. So of the money is used to help the woman escape....

Is it wrong to help promote a product so the charity benefits ... when surely that helps make the product desirable... i could buy in normal bedding and make more ££'s but I like to sleep at night...

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Exactly!

And all these people who only drink soy milk or use soy based products as they want to save the cows etc - yup save the cows from being milked but burn down the Rainforest to grow your soy stuff

GOOD FOR YOU!

[​IMG]

6. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Sad but true!

7. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

In an ideal world everyone should get a fair price for the fruits of their labours, unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world.

I don't want to wear clothes and shoes made by children or anyone else in sweat shop and I want farmers to be paid a fair amount for their goods so I'm grateful for the labels. The labels are there to give consumers a choice where their money goes, not just to give the company rep. Although in this dog eat dog consumer society we live in I'm happy to give rep and my money to the companies who care about helping people in developing countries.

I buy fair trade whenever possible but I didn't used to. Until I was a carer for a student doing a degree in development studies I had no idea how much people in developing countries are ripped off by the modern world. But now I know I can't just close my eyes and ignore it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice