Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fair? No. Legal? Hmmmm...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rottiefan, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

A Rottie I know is being PTS soon for growling at someone. Yep, for growling. A member of staff at a well known rescue centre, who didn't know the known-to-be-shy dog, attempted to put a lupi (a piece of walking equipment) on the dog. Those who know the dog knows he does not like these pieces of equipment. So after getting the lupi halfway on, the dog growled. Then growled at someone else who tried to touch the lupi. And finally growled at someone he knew. He would, however, happily take treats at this time- just didn't want people touching the lupi.

I know the dog very well and have not had one problem with handling. Just this morning he came and licked me in the face and cuddled into me. There was no clear notes to say that the dog does not like these pieces of walking equipment. I think it's a testament to the dog that he didn't attack in such a stressful situation. But yet, the seniors have decided to 'sign him up'- another euphemism.

The dog was perfectly in his right to growl. When he first came in, he would hardly come out of his kennel, so he's come so far. But for it all to be ended by people who don't even know the dog, yet are prejudice against a large male Rottweiler, like so many average-jos on the street, it's atrocious.

IMO, this is disgusting.

2. Stephen&Dogs

Stephen&Dogs PetForums VIP

What the .... but growling is just a indication to back off i don't know why they are PTS that just seems crazy :(
    Every dog growl's once in a while if they got PTS evertime a dog growled there wouldn't be any left:mad:

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

That has actually made me cry. Is there nothing at all that can be done to change this decision?

4. Pets2luv.webs.com

Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

Thats ridiculous! all dogs growl that is not a valid reason to pts. :mad:

5. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Oh that is sad.

He has been let down because staff have not made notes to say he has issues with the Lupi :(

Not only that he is in rescue which can also cause issues.

Can you not explain to the powers to be that this dog has issues with the equipment and may just need some training to overcome this?

Or is it out of your hands :(

6. A crying shame! and then responsible should be ashamed of themselves!
    Are you going to name and shame this organization - or is that against pf rules? would be intereted to know as I guess a few more would!

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's awful - why on earth are they doing this? Can you name the rescue centre?

8. My thoughts exactly! if we know who they ar maybe we could give them a piece of our mind! But then they could always turn it around I guess! claiming the dog was ill or inventing something imaginary!
    It is very said - and I do hope those that have made this decision don't sleep at night!

9. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

thats awfull we had a rottie when we was kids we got her when she was 1 she had been very badly mistreated by previous owner an she use to growl all the time she was just very nervous she did stop once we gained her trust but she never ever bit anyone an we had her for 15 years till she died bless her thats just madness to pts for them reasons :mad:

10. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Such a shame :(

I guess those who made the decission, just read a bit of paper and saw...

... rottweiler..... growling.... and that was enough to make their minds up :mad:

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Oscar hates having anything like that put on (harness/halti even a slip lead) he will give a grumble about it WTF are they talking about :confused: :mad:

12. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

This makes me sick.

That poor dog clearly has issues, and has those because of something someone has or hasn't done properly...and he/she is the one being punished.

And yet there's some runty little rat dog running round near me, biting my dog and nothing has been done about that?!

Grrrrr :mad:

13. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

This is awful. One of the reasons we kept hold of our little JRT when we found him, rather than handing him over to rescue was because he was very growly and snappy about all kinds of things and we could imagine the chances an ageing "aggressive" dog might have of being rehomed could lead to a death sentence. To think a fearful dog can be let down by the people who ought to know better is very sad. I think perhaps fear of being sued overrides doing right by the dog? Horrible.

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Its just depressing that rescue centres are so over run that they make these knee jerk reactions.:(
    But dogs are PTS everyday for just being born into a society that regards them as disposable. Poor things dont stand a chance..

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is very sad but there are only so many resources for far too many dogs so maybe they have strict rules on which dogs are kept and which are pts. It is fairer than putting down a dog with not problems that would be easy to home because the spare kennel is taken up with a dog that cant be rehomed.

16. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I agree generally :(

I guess we don't know what is really happening here, rescue space is like gold dust and rescue people have to make life and death decisions EVERY day, one way or another.

It is very sad, without a doubt.

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

So does this rescue pts all dogs that growl at them or just rottweillers? if they do, they must be very empty. So they are going to punish the dog for being a dog; what did they expect him to do? Politely ask not to use that?

SixStar likes this.
  18. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

WTF how can powers that b who run a "so called" rescue justify this behavior, really boils my pi$$, or hold on, is coz he's a Rott, bet if it was a small dog it wouldn't have even crossed their bloody minds, they need horse whipping, I need a sodden drink now after reading this!! :mad:

19. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

That is wrong :( Is there anything at all that can be done to stop this?

20. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

I'll bet if it was a Lab or a Spaniel then it wouldn't have received the same death sentence :mad: What a horrible situation! Can anything be done for the poor boy? :(

Think I'd better make an appointment for my two to be put down, they're clearly dangerous and could attack at any second.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice