Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Failure to recognise bloat/twisted stomach (GDV)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BowieBoy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BowieBoy

BowieBoy PetForums Newbie

My dog died yesterday from bloat/twisted stomach, a condition I am only now aware is prevalent in certain large breed dogs (he was an 8yo Komondor).

We took him to the vet and he was taken for emergency surgery but, upon opening him up, the vet said there had been too much tissue damage to the stomach and he had to be pts. I am certain that he would have been okay if we had brought him in sooner.

Now that I know what the signs are, he was showing them as early as 7 hours before we took him in. He was retching/throwing up nothing on and off but we thought he'd eaten grass to combat a poorly stomach or somehow gotten into one of our bins. He was lethargic but he was recovering from colitis so we chalked it up to that. It wasn't until he showed signs of bloating that we recognised the severity of the problem and took him to the vet, but the bloating didn't seem to happen until the very end (we called a vet immediately upon noticing the bloating).

I wrote a more detailed post under Rainbow Bridge because I am struggling with the guilt of losing him to a seemingly avoidable death but I thought this might be a better place to discuss the condition itself. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with bloating/twisted stomach in dogs.

How fast is the onset typically?

Does noticeable bloating only occur late on?

What are the odds of survival if you catch it early/late?

Could he have survived even with a lot of tissue damage, if we hadn't agreed to have him pts but had asked the vet to at least try to remove the dead tissue instead?

I'm completely crushed by how badly we've let him down. Komondors are long-lived large breed dogs. He should have had another 6 years with us.

2. Sammyez

Sammyez PetForums Member

Very sorry for your loss.

Thank you for raising awareness of this condition.

3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

No experience but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about your loss and for the traumatic circumstances.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My friends daughters dog, a ridgeback, had to be pts recently. When my friend arrived the dog was absolutely fine, but about an hour or so later she was obviously suffering and as it looked like bloat as in she was swelling up, she was rushed to the vets who are very close by. The vet tried very hard, but like your poor dog, nothing could be done. The owners have had ridgebacks for many years and were very aware of bloat and knew the signs to look for. They were amazed how quickly the dog went from being fine to having to be pts, less then three hours in their case

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Very sorry you lost your dog in such shocking circumstances.

It sounds as though you did everything you could for him.

In a Breed such as a Komondor which has a dense coat, the signs of bloat wouldn't be so easy to spot.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Joedabest123

Joedabest123 PetForums Member

7. Joedabest123

8. Joedabest123

my bad on the wrong post!

9. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I am so so sorry for for loss @BowieBoy, and don't be too hard on yourself as even if you get them in quickly they don't always survive, my beloved Saint Bernard was lost to bloat/gastric torsion, we rushed her in as soon as we noticed signs (we had had a scare with her a year previously) they had her on the op table within an hour, the surgery went well, she came round and was seemingly good, the vets were cautiously optimistic, but sadly after 24 hours she slumped and we had to make the decision to put her sleep, it's heart breaking, but you can't blame yourself, it is a terrible awful thing that strikes quickly and without mercy, but you filled his life with love.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. BowieBoy

@MontyMaude Thank you for your kind comment. I'm very sorry to hear about your Saint Bernard. It is truly awful. .

11. BowieBoy

@Siskin Thank you for your comment. I'm still in shock at how quickly everything went downhill. I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's daughter's dog.

12. BowieBoy

@rottiepointerhouse Thank you.

13. BowieBoy

@Sammyez Thank you. It really is one to bear in mind. Even if we can't ever know everything, it is always better to be armed with information. I just wish I'd known sooner.

14. Animalfan

Animalfan PetForums Member

I’m so sorry for your loss, GDV is an awful condition. When I worked as a vet nurse this was always a dreaded emergency call.

The condition is more common in large, deep chested breeds but not limited to them. I saw a border terrier cross with it once. I only ever saw 2 successful cases which is a shame. The condition generally comes on quite quickly and with the body being under so much stress the anaesthetic is sometimes just too much to cope with.

There are suggestions on how to help avoid it but there is a lot of debate as to how effective they actually are. Feeding from raised bowls is said to lessen swallowing air whilst eating, alleviating bloating and avoiding exercise an hour or so before and after eating. As I say, these aren’t scientifically proven but they can’t hurt right?!

Also, the most vigilant of owners have not always spotted this condition so please don’t question yourself. My thoughts are with you at this awful time x

JRB123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. BowieBoy

@Animalfan Thank you very much for your response. It helps to hear from someone who's seen this from the other side. The vet nurse who looked after my dog was very helpful but I was in too much of a state to take in anything she said and I wish I'd asked more questions. Thanks also for your kind words x

16. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Sorry for your loss. I think anybody with a breed prone to bloating is nervous about it. Awareness is one of the key factors in prompt treatment and you are to be commended for raising that awareness.

Actually it may. Latest I heard is that raising bowls increases risk. The following lists some numbers: http://www.dancinsetters.com/uploads/bloat.pdf
    I'll also link to https://www.crittersitextra.com/pettips/NEW_Purdue_Bloat_Study.pdf I'm sure people will let me know if advice there has also been superceded by new thinking

#16 Goblin, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Animalfan likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice