Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Failure to recognise bloat/twisted stomach (GDV)

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by BowieBoy, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BowieBoy

BowieBoy PetForums Newbie

My dog died in the early hours of yesterday morning and all I want to do is go back in time and fix everything I did wrong.

Yesterday, at around 5.30pm, my dog asked for a walk, so we took him out. On the walk, he started retching but nothing came out. We racked our brains - had we seen him eat grass? Could he have got into the bin at home? He stopped retching and carried on walking, but then he lay down and wouldn't get up. He was recovering from a bout of colitis and a uti so we assumed the combination of those two things had just taken it out of him.

My mum felt along his body to see if anything was bothering him and when she got to one point on his body, he nipped her, something he's never done before. We took him home and looked up dog anatomy on the web to check what part of his anatomy he'd objected to. We thought it was his bladder, which made sense given the uti. He took himself to bed. No more retching. We went to the shop to look for things to calm a uti in a dog (it was Sunday so our vet wasn't open to call for antibiotics).

Later in the evening, we gave him his dinner but he wasn't interested. It's not unusual for him to go off his food when recovering from colitis so we didn't think that much of it. He was restless - walking from one room to another to find a new place to lie down. But he was on rice and chicken for his colitis, which typically causes constipation to start with, so we thought he was probably just constipated and uncomfortable because of that. Then he started retching again and things went rapidly from bad to worse.

By now it was about midnight and we were very concerned and keeping a close eye on him. Then we noticed that he was bloating, rapidly. We called the emergency vet and, as we were on the phone, he started whimpering/crying out. We rushed him to the vet who said he had a twisted stomach (GDV) and would need emergency surgery. He took him away for blood tests, stabilisation and surgery and told us to go home and wait for a call.

We got a call a few hours later to tell us that there was too much dead tissue in the stomach and that the only advisable option would be euthanasia.

My beautiful boy died from bloat/twisted stomach, a condition I had never even heard of in dogs. Yet, he was an 8 year old, male, large breed (Komondor) and apparently those are all factors which increase the risk of GDV.

All the research I can find says that dogs often have a good outcome from this surgery if they are brought to a vet in good time, which means the only reason he isn't here today is because we failed to pick up the signs. For almost 7 hours, he showed signs that now seem so obvious. We failed him and I don't know how to forgive myself.

It's a sunny day and all I want to do is take him for a walk in it.

2. SpencerK

SpencerK PetForums Member

I'm very sorry for your loss - I would say a large percentage of us have wondered did we do enough, what if we did this or that. I know when my boy died, I didn't do the right thing and it haunts me to this day. I can only offer sympathy.. I can only hope one day we will be re-united with our lost animals. When the time is right, go and adopt another less fortunate doggy and give him all the love in the world.

Once again, sorry for your loss

Spence

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice