Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fading kitten please help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cazz_mm, May 12, 2020.

1. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

It's past midnight and little Bear, who we got last week and was struggling to eat and poo has taken a turn for the worst. He finally decided he liked food and has been on gruel of lactol and kitten food. Emptied his bowels on Sunday night and again this morning so all good.

Has been bounding about and playing when not asleep, seeming like a normal kitten, insatiable appetite.

This eve he had some food at 8ish and settled to sleep. Was on the sofa with me the whole time and when we went to wake him to go to bed, offer him food and toilet first he was drowsy and floppy. Then had diarrhoea. And flopped down in the tray. Doesn't want to fully wake up. Just tries to burrow his head down. We are trying to keep him warm and I have tried to give him warm sugar water but he fights it. And then flops his head back down and goes back to sleep.

Is this Fading Kitten syndrome?? We don't know what to do. I'm terrified he won't last the night.

Weirdly he won't stop purring, has never purred this long. Is there anything we can do?

2. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

I should say, he is 4-5weeks old, orphaned. Vet checked last week and was healthy then

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I would ring the vet

Torin. likes this.
  4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Agreed - vet asap. Hopefully he's been seen now, so an update would be great @Cazz_mm. I've asked the mods to move this into the cat forum area for you for ongoing support.

Re. purring most people know it as a sign that a cat is happy, but it can also be used to self-sooth in times of high stress or high pain. Which will be what's happening here.

5. Cazz_mm

Cazz_mm PetForums Newbie

I posted this after midnight and there was no way we could get him to a vet immediately. The good news is that around 7am this morning he popped his head up and started to come around.

We had managed to get small drips of sugar water into his mouth but we honestly watched him fade in front of our eyes and he practically stopped breathing. We felt the only thing we could do was cuddle him through his passing and are utterly astounded that he is running around today as if nothing had happened.

We are wondering whether he had a tummy upset and the pain was too much to bear (no pun intended) so he just shut down? He was definitely unconscious as opposed to sleeping...

This video was taken this afternoon, looking at it I cannot believe that last night we were tearfully trying to decide where to bury his little body in the morning!

Thank you for your concern and I hope I don't have to post in such a panic again!!!

SusieRainbow likes this.
  6. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

If it happens again and you can't get sugar water into him, a little honey rubbed on the gums will help.
    In saying that, I wonder if his sugar levels were actually low in those instances, and you managing to get past his reluctance (well done) helped bring him round and raise them, diarrhea along with not eating can cause low blood sugar

Cazz_mm likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice