UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of work for my local rescue centre and we have never seen as many kittens and cats come through the door.

Maybe I am just being silly but I do feel that facebook has a lot to do with it. I have never seen so many cats for sale as I have on the for sale pages facebook seems to have so many of. Seems to be that now if you want a kitten then all you need to do is sign into fb and you have a wide selection to choose from. Most kittens I have seen advertised are "ready" to go at 6 weeks old and as long as you have £20- £30 in your pocket then it doesnt matter who you are.

I could rant all day long about this!

To be honest its made me feel a wee bit better to have wrote it down:eek:.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Interesting you should say that... on another forum, I recently got on the bad side of a person (come to think, she was from around Scottish borders too) because I said that not spaying her cat and letting her have TEN litters one after another was not right. She ripped into me about how kittens were SO difficult to find where she is, and how she was doing a favour to everyone by breeding her cat over and over.

And she advertised her kittens on Facebook too.

(Yes, I'm still incensed about it, can you tell?)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well she was defo lying! Seems that the Borders is overrun with kittens at the moment and has been for the last couple of months. Its not only kittens though. The rescue centre currently have 23 adult cats looking for homes and a huge waiting list of cats waiting to come in.

What forum was that on?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know some people on here will disagree, but I think breeding is so irresponsible when there are cats in shelters looking for homes. To intentionally bring more animals into the world when there are so many homeless is ridiculous.

·
Slave to the Hairy Hikers
12,358 Posts
Interesting you should say that... on another forum, I recently got on the bad side of a person (come to think, she was from around Scottish borders too) because I said that not spaying her cat and letting her have TEN litters one after another was not right. She ripped into me about how kittens were SO difficult to find where she is, and how she was doing a favour to everyone by breeding her cat over and over.

And she advertised her kittens on Facebook too.

(Yes, I'm still incensed about it, can you tell?)
We had the same discussion on this forum too, may have been the same person.
Actually, I felt she may have been just a troll, which would fit in with the posting on multiple forums and the vicious replies

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
One of my Facebook 'friends' and an old employee of mine always seems to be selling, or trying to get rid of some animal or other. She spent a fortune on a Husky and kept it for 9 months... Until she realised how expensive a big dog is too keep. Then it was cats, non of which had injections or neutered. So is regulary putting kittens up 'ready for new homes' at 6 weeks old. She gave a few away as chuffing Christmas Presents for gods sake! Does my bloody head in.

It seems that responsible owners are outnumbered by idiots.... So the cat population will continue to grow, which means many more poor cats (and dogs, rabbits ferrets etc) will be behind bars :sad:

Ian F.

·
Registered
107 Posts
We had the same discussion on this forum too, may have been the same person.
Actually, I felt she may have been just a troll, which would fit in with the posting on multiple forums and the vicious replies
'Fraid not. She's a long-time active member of that other forum, and she posted photos for her yes-people to oooh and aaah over.

Petitepuppet, it was in a group on Ravelry, a knitting site with lots of forum participation. Oh, and she also said that she'd never be so irresponsible as to spay her cat, because her friend's cat "went crazy after being spayed, and had to be put down". And I just felt so bad for these two cats I had to write something... with the result that I got blocked after two polite comments.

Gah. Now I'm whining all over the forum and looking for validation. Please excuse me. It's just... it's taking me a bit of time to get over it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Over a year ago now I was banned form several of those "Plymouth - Buy / Sell / Swap" groups JUST for questioning people (politely may i add) that were selling animals on there.. And a lot of it is kittens (moggies) being sold very very cheaply (£15/30 each) and far too young to be taken away from mum.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I brought my kitten off of a lady of facebook who lived on a farm (she was a friend of my mums friend) for £30, we werent allowed to have him till 12weeks :)

&pongo (my kitten) was really really tiny when we got him & we think he was underweight, it is bad that anyone can buy an animal with no records or anything even worse for dogs because there are awful people out there who use certain breeds of dogs for fighting so it isnt exactly safe but some people are genuine & do care about the animals they buy :)

x

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think people should be able to sell any kind of animal through Facebook or other social networking sites, I actually don't agree with there being any selling pages on on Facebook - it's a social network for people to keep in touch with and talk to friends, not a shopping network! But that's just my personal opinion.

Years ago (about 15 years I think) my uncle bought my sister a kitten for her birthday (she would have been 4 or 5), he'd agreed with my dad that he could buy the kitten and that it would be welcome in the house and since my dad was thinking about getting a cat anyway, he agreed. The kitten was supposedly 12 weeks, but it was tiny and wasn't very good at keeping itself clean. It also didn't seem to be eating very much. My dad took it to the vet, who said that it's size and weight indicated that it was only 5 weeks at the most and should not have been taken away from it's mother! My uncle said he got it from someone who put a leaflet through the door and they came and dropped off the kitten, so he didn't even get to see where it was being kept or have a look at the parents. My uncle tried to phone the number again to speak to the person he got the kitten from to tell them what the vet had said and to inform them that he was informing the RSPCA, but when he phoned back, the number was dead. I know that this is an extreme case, but it has made me wary about people selling kittens on Facebook or other websites. Sites such as Facebook make it easier for people to sell their kittens and I'd imagine that if the guy who sold the kitten to my uncle is still selling them, he'll be on there somewhere!

Becky (that's what my sister named the kitten) grew into a lovely looking cat, with smoky grey long hair, but she should never have been taken away from her mother so young and she was lucky that she landed in a loving home who were willing to give her all the extra love and attention she needed with being so young.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.