Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Face Masks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jul 14, 2020.

1. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

I bought a pack from Boots, and I used one for the first time today on a hospital visit, so it was on for about an hour and a half. It was so uncomfortable and hot. My glasses steamed up so much that I ended up taking them off. My distance vision isn't too bad, so I could just about manage without them. The cheapo ones I got from Amazon were better, but I think I'll have to try some alternative kind of face covering.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm so used to wearing one now I usually forget I have it on. Glasses fogged or not. :)

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

While browsing Iceland yesterday I spotted and ordered 2 reusable face masks. They look pretty good. Washable for up to 30 times, triple layered and fluid repellant. Only black ones in my store, £2 each.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Any ideas what I could use? I have tried a disposable mask and a home made cotton mask and with both I struggled to breath was nearly sick and nearly fainted:Bag

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Maybe with your disabilities you are actually one of those people who can't wear them for genuine reasons?
    You don't have to discuss all your additional needs, and am not expecting you to share on a public forum.

When it comes to disabilities, obviously those with respiratory problems such as COPD, but those with hidden disabilities too that find that mask wearing causes undue stress, I think you may be a bit of both.

There shouldn't be no shame to not wearing mask if you can't. Yes many people will not because they can't be bothered, have forgotten for example. If you can't you can't.

If you do want to try though, I would like to try though as at first they are quite an adjustment. So this is for anyone whose struggling. Trying just sitting for a few minutes doing nothing with a mask on then repeat say later in the day, add a few minutes. Very similiar to dog training little and often.

7. ForestWomble

Thank you. Think I'm going to end up printing off one of those 'hidden disability' thingiemabobs I've seen, don't think I've ever felt so frightened or likely to faint as when wearing the mask. I was trying the cloth one when watching telly so wasn't even moving much :confused:

HarlequinCat and lullabydream like this.
  8. lullabydream

You have done everything right.

There are always going to be those who flout the rules, which irritate most of us, but then there are always those who genuinely need to be the exception to the rules for good reason. That's why the ruling is there.

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

This.
    Some people are also much more sensitive to carbon dioxide and mask wearing does affect how we breathe which also affects CO2 and O2 ratios in the body. This is a really interesting read:
    https://www.ozy.com/news-and-politics/why-youre-probably-breathing-wrong/315086/
    Particularly this part:
    "People with chronic anxieties and panic, and even other fear-based conditions like anorexia or agoraphobia, traditionally have much less CO2 than other people because they breathe far too much and blow off way too much CO2. So what a lot of therapists try to do is increase that CO2 in the body, increase circulation and calm the mind. You can do that by extending your exhales. Breathe in for a count of about three and then extend your exhales to a count of six or even nine. This will stimulate your parasympathetic response, which is the relaxation or calming response. It’s going to slow your heart rate right down and increase circulation throughout your body. That’s a very easy and quick little hack."

@ForestWomble You might also find a bandana, scarf, or buff easier to tolerate because they get much more air exchange as they're loose below your mouth instead of closed off.

But at the end of the day, if you can't wear a mask, don't. And don't feel bad about it :)

10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I thought that the kind of mask the majority would be wearing would have no effect on CO2 levels?

11. ForestWomble

Wow, that's really interesting, I'll have a read of the link later.

And thank you for the suggestions, I'll have a look see if I still have the head scarf I was given years ago, if I can tolerate that I'll feel happier when I have to go somewhere where I need one.

Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  12. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

@ForestWomble I'm pretty sure autism is on the exemption list so if you are really struggling then I'd get something sorted. You could try one of the national autistic societies cards, I have one just in case of emergencies and they are easy to carry on you. I don't think they are doing orders for the cards currently due to covid however there is a print off version freely available

ETA: heres the link for you
    https://www.autism.org.uk/products/resources/alert-cards.aspx

ForestWomble and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. lullabydream

Only quoting this part, but this is what people who have panic attacks, or even asthma attacks breathe in a paper back or it was adviced to, to get this response. Breathing is mighty rare in the body that we can control it ourselves as well as the nervous system doing it automatic. If you get the CO2 ratio with O2 that it's not right, hopefully circling via the paper bag, this kick starts the parasympathetic response saying hey wait a minute, slow down work properly. It's a huge ask for this to happen but many cases it does, especially panic attacks.

Boxerluver30 and O2.0 like this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I don't know that it's the mask itself that affects CO2, but if you're unused to wearing one, it's going to make you breathe differently, and the way you breathe can definitely affect CO2 levels.

lullabydream and Boxerluver30 like this.
  15. Boxerluver30

Boxerluver30 Hound Lover

I'm pretty sure the masks themselves don't no however in addition to what has been said above I think with for example autism it can be a mental thing too. I struggled when i first started wearing them, getting panicky, out of breath etc. I am also autistic btw. Not that only people with autism will struggle but just in addition to @ForestWomble 's post.

HarlequinCat and ForestWomble like this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I listened to a podcast with James Nestor, he also wrote "Breath" (which I haven't read) and found it very interesting. There was in a bit in there about people with asthma, anxiety, and a few other things being more sensitive to CO2 which may be a big part of their symptoms. When we hold our breath, it's not a lack of oxygen that causes us to gasp and breathe, it's our brains reacting to the raised levels of CO2. What folks like free-divers do is slowly build up their tolerance to higher levels of CO2 so that they don't have that need to breathe reaction.
    Anyway, it was all very interesting, and as a result, I'm also now breathing though my nose much more frequently. :)

lullabydream and ForestWomble like this.
  17. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

As you say, it's interesting. So would that explain why I get tingling in my wrists and hands when I use an exercise bike?
    I'm practicing using a mask indoors for when I eventually pluck up courage to go shopping (soon I hope). I'm trying to see how long I can wear one before it gets too unbearable.

18. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

What about a visor for when you go into a shop? I got mine from here in case the rules change and I need PPE for work: https://medworx.co.uk/pages/infection-control-for-you

#138 Jobeth, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

During the HIV/AIDS epidemic, once a week, all the hospital staff used to attend special classes to help us de stress and breathing exercises were a major component.

I find them extremely helpful especially when I can't sleep..

20. ForestWomble

Thank you. I've checked and yes, autism is on the list. I'll get one of those cards printed, would be useful even after covid. I will check out the website too.

Thank you, that would be much better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice