Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Face Masks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Faces masks

What sort are you using?

And how can you stop your glasses steaming up?

At the moment we using the blue wear once type, so as it looks like we'll be wearing for sometime we looking to buy washable ones that will not steam up glasses every time we wear them.:)

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I've just posted this on the other thread. I've made my own, if I position the aluminium strip along the top properly, I can manage not to steam my glasses up if I'm wearing them. But I have to say wearing both makes me feel really claustrophobic, so may stick to contacts when I eventually go out.

MVIMG_20200616_080250.jpg

3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I use two different kinds of mask, both are equally good.

7F6F1E1E-9B1A-4C16-A4C0-079D9F6E885F.jpeg

As I have had to wear them at school since April they have been used and washed daily and are still going strong. The blue one is originally a dust protection for mountain bikers.

About steaming up glasses- I have found the best way to prevent that is a not too close fit underneath the chin. So that the air you breath out doesn’t need to go upwards. And as it is guided along your chin and neck it’s not getting blown towards anybody else, either.

Maybe you can see what I mean here:

C0761699-9FD2-4FCF-944A-188AB5CEF4AF.jpeg

When it’s cold outside my glasses still steam up when I go into a shop, but not too bad. After a while it’s okay.
    Some recommend bathing the classes in soap water and letting them dry without wiping. I tried that, all I got was a thin film of soap that reflected the light in a weird way and no help agains steaming up.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I’ve not been in a situation where I need to use one but wear glasses so been monitoring steaming up fixes.
    Most popular ones I’ve read is to use micropore tape to attach them over the top of your nose or pinch the wired ones to fit closely to your nose.

raysmyheart and HarlequinCat like this.
  5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have disposable and washable ones. The washable one needs to be washed at 65 degrees which is fine but it came out covered in dog hair :oops:. I don’t wear glasses but due to my eye problems have had sun glasses on and they steam up.

raysmyheart likes this.
  6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have N95 respirator masks for hospital visits.

I also have disposable masks and the cloth ones. I dont go into shops or out anywhere, so i wont really have to wear one really. Im exempt from doing so anyway, but they are tolerable, so i will.

raysmyheart and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

My sister has started a wee business making them on facebook since she lost her job in the pandemic, washable re-usable ones so I've been using them on my way into work or to the shops. Yet to find a solution to the glasses problem unless you have a proper medical mask that fits your face perfectly - then none of your breath will get out the top of the mask! I think the best idea would be to try and replicate this as @Mum2Heidi said by getting one with a wire, but the ones I wear at work at the hospital have these and aren't perfect either!

8. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I've started putting surgical tape over the edge of mine, it's been a massive help with glasses not fogging up.
    Just don't forget you've got the tape on, and don't pull it off quickly. It hurts!

I found some cloth masks on ebay with filters in. I actually wear two, because the main one looks like a bra cup, and I felt stupid, so I have a flat mask over the top, to hide it, and not waste my money :Shamefullyembarrased.
    I wash them in boiling water and then let them sit in disinfectant for a while afterwards.

It's probably worth practicing wearing one round your home to adjust to it. When I first wore them I got really panicky and started to gag, but now it's absolutely fine :)

9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

10. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I found a pattern on you tube for a different design that doesn't seem to make my glasses fog up, though I've not tried it in cold weather yet. The extra flaps seem to give a good close fit, but are also adjustable for comfort...

This youtuber has multiple videos of different types of masks, the one that I chose needs absolutely minimal sewing skills. I have an ancient hand crank singer which worked fine, but it could also be hand sewn. I adapted it to have ribbon ties rather than elastic round the ears which I find uncomfortable. The stitching is a bit wobbly in areas, but it'll hold!

(you can watch it muted if you like, the music is irrelevant and slightly annoying!)

IMG_20200625_153232.jpg IMG_20200625_174158.jpg IMG_20200625_150503.jpg

Cully, Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I wash mine by hand in a really strong solution of soapy water, then either hang them out to dry in the sun, if it's a hot day, or dry them with my hairdryer on the hottest setting.

Boxer123 likes this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Think I will have to everything is covered in boxer hair do they care ? No.

HarlequinCat likes this.
  13. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Perhaps you should trade them in for Schnauzers? Dog hair is a problem I no longer have thank heavens:D

Boxer123 likes this.
  14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

huh....I wear my disposable ones about 10 hours during my nightshift and they never fog up my glasses!o_O

Magyarmum likes this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

The ribbon thing is interesting.

My little sister wears hearing aids and she was asking me to make one that doesn't go round the ears. Was looking at the things with buttons on, but they look a bit fiddly.

Ribbons or even just long loops of elastic might work.

Babyshoes likes this.
  16. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Sorry to jump in on your thread @Happy Paws2 but if you have a problem with wearing masks do you have to have a doctors note or something to say you are exempt?

I'm asking because I wore a mask for the first time the other week and suddenly had great trouble breathing, felt very sick and close to panic, felt off for the rest of the day (chest felt tight). Was really scary.
    Thankfully I don't go anywhere that would require me wearing a mask anyway, but if I did I'd try wearing a mask if it was going to be really quick, but if I really can't, do you need a note?

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  17. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

ForestWomble likes this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Replace the boxers :eek:

Magyarmum likes this.
  19. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

I made these for my mum and me. Neither of us wear glasses all the time though. The flowery one is mine and I find it quite comfortable to wear, I find breathing through fabric comforting anyway so dont think it'll make my anxiety worse.
    20200714_163349-01.jpeg
    The pattern for the flowery one was very simple, done around a dinner plate and then cut into sections before being sewed. Took 5 minutes start to finish.

FAW56, Cully and Magyarmum like this.
  20. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Apparently washing up liquid on your glasses stops them misting up. No idea if it works but heard it on the radio today

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice