Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

F2 Cavashon

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Suzie W, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

I’ve been researching buying a Cavashon, and when enquiring was told the litter will be F2 Cavashon. Can anyone give me any guidance on whether this is okay? Or whether this F2 breed has any known health issues?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

F2 is not a Breed.

As I understand it, to produce the pups you're interested in, the mating will have been between a pedigree Cavalier and a pedigree Bichon. This is known as an F1 breeding/mating.

The pups resulting from such a cross would be described as F2.

Ideally, the parents of these pups should have been screened/tested prior to mating to ensure they are clear of any hereditary conditions which could be passed to their pups. This would give the puppies a good chance of being healthy.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I understood an F2 to be a litter from 2 Cavachons (F1s)

Torin., gskinner123, Blitz and 2 others like this.
  4. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

Ah ok. So, the mum is a cavachon and dad, a stud cavalier King Charles spaniel. I’ll ask about the health screening.

5. miljar

miljar Banned

Suzie W, Sarah H and DanWalkersmum like this.
  6. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

they are lovely little dogs though whichever F (F1, F2 etc..)you get (mines a shih tzu x bichon Frise ) and if you get a responsible breeder who has done the health checks etc then you could not get a dog with a nicer temparament (IMO of course before I upset anyone) we all know our own dog is the best and we are none of us wrong!

Suzie W likes this.
  7. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

That’s really helpful. I had no idea there was a hierarchy like this. Yes, the one we enquired after is an F1b. I’m learning all the time, thank you!

8. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

I’m really encouraged by your post, I was concerned it was inbreed and possible complications, but sounds as though if we find out more about the parents history, then that’s good.

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

AS mentioned there are health conditions prevalent in Cavaliers.
    https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/health.aspx?id=6149 . The father ( sire ) should have genetic testing to rule out some of these. Heart testing can't be performed accurately until 4 yrs old so if he's under 4 he could be affected.
    The mother should have heart testing and eye testing , also at 4 yrs old for the heart. This is because heart problems are so common in Cavaliers and often lead to early death.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Suzie W like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You are right Susie (sorry Rafa)

Torin. and SusieRainbow like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Be aware that what it actually is is a mongrel. A cavachon is not a breed. Cavaliers have a lot of health problems so make sure both parents have been health tested particularly for heart problems. Not just been to the vet and been told they look healthy, but actually tested properly. Google it and have a look at what is needed. I am not fanatical about testing but that is one breed that needs it. They can really suffer with one condition and many die young with heart problems.

Torin., O2.0, Suzie W and 2 others like this.
  12. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

The problems with second and third generation crosses (crossing Cavachons with Cavachons) is that actually they don't produce a Cavachon (which is a cross between a Cavalier and a Bijon obviously). Second generation crosses onward often produce a mixed litter - including throw backs - puppies that resemble one or other or the grandparents or indeed a third breed cross altogether. And there is no guarentee of low shedding either. There is nothing wrong in buying a crossbreed in this way obviously but it is important that you aren't expecting the pup to look or in fact behave in a certain way.

Re health - both Bijons and Cavaliers have recognised health issues that can be tested for however if you are buying further down the crossbreed line the it is unlikely that any actual tests will have been carried out on the parents so you will most probably be taking a chance health wise. For a first generation cross I would expect both parents to be tested.

Of course, you could look to the original breeds - a well bred Cavalier or a well bred Bichon.:)

J

Torin., O2.0, Suzie W and 2 others like this.
  13. Suzie W

Suzie W PetForums Newbie

Thanks all. I’m checking out the health testing for heart conditions that hopefully has been done for for both parents first and will ask also about eye checks. I’ve established it’s an F1b, but am grateful for the advice on the checks needed. Next stop to check out pet insurance costs, as I also want to make sure if we go ahead, the dog is fully covered.

Blitz likes this.
  14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

:D

15. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Don't forget we need loads of potos when you get your pup :D (love a good puppy pic me)

Suzie W likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice