Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

F.O.A. Grandad

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by springerpete, Jan 28, 2012.

1. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Thought you might appreciate this grandad. The two gents' in the pic are from Denmark, they come over for the last week of every season, they're Father and Son. Get this though, they both managed ' Left and rights' on woodcock in the same morning, What's the chances of that?? I'm guessing the story will be in the Shooting Gazette.
    Anyway, how are you keeping my old mate, all's well with you I hope, boys are coming along steadily and I have high hopes for next season. Cheers Pete.

Attached Files:

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Its about time we had another post from you Pete, I miss them.

3. springerpete

Hi Twiggy, I've been keeping a low profile, I'm afraid my sense of humour is not always appreciated.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well it is by me..:D

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

You cant please all the people all the time. I always enjoy your posts Pete- I think most do:p

6. foxyrockmeister

foxyrockmeister PetForums VIP

Pah, sod that! It's a public forum, we're all entitled to our own opinions and sense's of humour!! :001_tongue:

Been wondering where you were :(

7. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

Well worth the trip for them then Pete. Wonder what the odds at Ladbrokes would have been on that bit of sport then. Very Rare indeed. I know peeps that have been shooting for ages and never had a left and right. Glad the pupsters are doing well, keep up the good work. You'll benefit next season and think of all the fun you'll have :smile5:.
    Season finale for me on Wednesday. Having February off apart from rough shooting and then back to the process of getting ready for next season. :smile5:

8. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

Know what you mean old cock !!

9. springerpete

Cheers Twiggy.

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Impressive! It's a couple of years now since I ate woodcock, very tasty and unusual. Although I'm not keen on the innards on toast bit :eek:

11. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Well i'm sure there are more of us who do appreciate it than don't ;) So get posting !

12. springerpete

I dont know about 'Odds' mate, I'd have liked to have a few bob on though.
    If I were that young lads Dad I'd have been well pleased with him, They're a lovely group of guys, been coming across last week of the season fr years.....They tip well also, it always nice for the lads to have all the hard work they put in appreciated.
    We've got a couple of days for the beaters, Mon Tues, then the beaters dinner and that's it for this year, the seasons come and go so bloody quickly these days, must be old age catching up.
    Take care Mate. Speak soon. Pete.

13. springerpete

To be honest, I dont see what all the fuss is about with them, apart from the skill involved in bagging one, you need about four to make a decent sandwich, give me a big old cock pheasant any day, there's a meal on that, I'm just greedy I guess...?????????

14. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It's the leg meat that I find different, it's usually darker, but with woodcocks as you'll know, they're the opposite way round, with darker breast meat. Last time we had them we did the traditional beak up bum just plucked, and the OH had the innards on toast, but I don't like offal in any case, so it would be too strong a flavour for me.

I'm only little, so a woodcock is a good sized meal for me! ;)

15. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

Woodcock soup....................luverly :smile5:

16. grandad

grandad PetForums VIP

If you ever get to France try Andoulette (I think thats how you spell it) Pigs intestine flambe. Bloody Luverly :smile5:

17. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I appreciate & enjoy your posts Pete, I won't pretend I'm into hunting, but you're a natural storyteller, know your stuff & have an excellent way with words:)

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I'll give it a miss, I tend to avoid that sort of dish; there's something called serobe in Botswana, which is made with the stomach of the animal, and you put all the intestines and blood in, and cook at the side of a fire, chop it all into little bits and then go order a takeaway :lol:

I also avoided eating phane worms, which are caterpillars, I don't mind trying new things, but I have my limits :D

19. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I've missed your stories too Pete :( Take no notice of the others because many of us love your stories and news of the boys.

I can't say I know anything about hunting so can you explain the 'left and right' thingy and why it is so amazing both son and dad did it? Sounds very intriguing and i have a long week ahead of me :D

20. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Grandad, those sausages are revolting:nonod:
    Even the dogs refuse to eat them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice