Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

eyebrows!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by NEW2CATS, May 30, 2010.

1. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

ok silly question time -

are a cats eyebrows important?

I noticed this morning that Billy suddenly has no eyebrow hairs on one side!!
    I dont know how this happened and I am abit worried. are they as important to a cat as their whiskers?

Thanks

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

You mean the whiskers or a patch of fur above the eye?

Whiskers, whether on the muzzle or above the eye OFTEN break off (occasionally chewed off as kittens by other kittens in the litter).

If it is a bald patch then almost all cats have this. It is believed to be a way that cats look awake when asleep by having a paler (bald) patch above their eyes that look like open eyes to predators.

3. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

it is the actual whisker type hairs above the eye i was talking about.
    it was just very odd to see him suddenly without any eyebrows on one side!!

4. Tig'N'Soot

Tig'N'Soot PetForums Member

We have three 15 week old kitties and one of them (Noah) has had virtually no whiskers since we got him. When the vet gave them their first shot of vaccinations she said one or both of the other kittens is probably nibbling them off when they play fight. Today we noticed one of the other kitties (Thomas) has his eye whiskers missing on one side. I know for sure that they were there yesterday. We checked the other one (Tiger-lily, the female of the bunch) and her whiskers and eye whiskers are all intact! So we think we know who the culprit is. She is much smaller than the other two so maybe it is her way of getting them off her when they get a bit aggressive.

Do you have other cats/kittens that could be nibbling your cat's whiskers away?

5. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

They should grow back but if it keeps happening see your vet. And yes they are quite important.

6. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

i do have another cat but i have never seen her nibbling his eyebrows:eek:

will keep a watch to see if i can determine if it is foul play or if they are breaking off in rough and tumble playtime.

thanks for answering my silly question!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice