Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eye Infection in kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Hi Everyone.

I am currently fostering a mum and 4 kittens for the RSPCA and wondered if anyone could offer some advice.

One of the kittens has a really nasty eye infection.
    I first noticed it as one eye was swollen, they hadn't yet opened their eyes so was quite worried about it.

Anyway got her into the vet who opened the eye and loads and loads of white puss came streaming out.
    I wanted to cry I felt so awful!

The vet gave me some eye cream called Fucithalmic and said to apply it twice a day.

That was over a week ago and although the eye is getting better in terms of no puss that's only really because I am cleaning it constantly so dosn't have a chance to develop.

However it is still very sticky and if I don't clean the eye pretty much every hour that it will very quickly close over.

I assumed that someone must have come across this before and might offer any advice?

So far I am cleaning with cooled, boiled water and cotten buds every hour and applying cream twice a day as directed, is there anything else I can do to speed up the healing?

I could get a picture of the eye on here but havn't quite figured out how yet.

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I wouldn't feel awful, eye infections when the kittens first start to open their eyes is incredibly common. If the eye is still partialy sealed then there is no where for the pus to go, so it just collects. When they are tiny, it can take a while to clear up, because they are asleep so much of the time.

You could ask the vet for a slightly stronger cream, and add a little salt to the water. Other than that the treatment is exactly as you are doing.

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Thanks for that.

I will try adding the salt and see if it makes a difference.

I feel so sorry for the little thing, it really does not look nice.

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's incredibly common. So common in fact that my present litter is the first litter I can remember having in 15 years that hasn't had it. If it persists you will need oral antibiotics, that usually clears it very quickly.

Liz

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

you can also try wiping they eye gently with cotton wool pad soaked in cool tea

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice