Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Eye closed over. Help!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by LaurenJ11, Aug 20, 2019.

1. LaurenJ11

LaurenJ11 PetForums Newbie

EC4F7DB8-BECB-4F47-9F06-E2E9D6CB7572.jpeg Hi. Sometimes my hamster wakes up with both or just one eye closed over. It lasts around 5 mins before they open again but I’m just not sure what it could be. Could it be the temperature of the room or type of bedding he uses? I try to wipe it down with warm water on a cotton pad but he’s not the most social hamster, he gets really scared and makes squeaking noises. I don’t want to stress him out. Please help :)

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Is there any gunk around the eye? Or is the eye clean?

If there is gunk would be worth seeing the vet as he might need antibiotics or something.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. LaurenJ11

Nope there is no gunk or dirt. His eyes are so clean which is why I’m confused. He’s so healthy. Maybe it’s just sleep?

4. ForestWomble

Just been googling for you and one reason for the eye staying closed but no crust/gunk could be he has a foreign object in his eye.

5. LaurenJ11

Ah Thankyou! I may have to take him the vets then as he won’t let me by his eyes. He’s too nervous :/

6. ForestWomble

Hope it goes well. Please update after the vets.

LaurenJ11 likes this.
  7. SummerRose17

SummerRose17 PetForums Newbie

Hiya,
    I had this problem with my Syrian. He couldn’t open one of his eyes for a few minutes after he had woken up. When I questioned the pet shop, they said that it was due to dust, this could be dust in his food, bedding etc. What bedding are you using? I was using shredded paper, he had wool to nest in, and food that he was eating was dusty, however however when I removed these and changed his food, he was completely fine! What bedding are you using? If it happens, use a damp cotton bud (only a little water) and gently wipe it away. I am not expert, but this is what the pet shop suggested for me. Hope this helps!x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice