Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Extremely Timid/Hiding Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Chathin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Chathin

Chathin PetForums Newbie

I thought I best post here before I do something to make the situation worse.

A while back myself and my partner got two ex-breeding queens. We were told at the time that the old one was braver than the younger and that both of them are loving, gentle lap cats.

Whilst the older girl has started to settle in and is eating, using the litter tray and seems a bit more personable the younger one has taken to extreme hiding. She has somehow gotten into/found a space that neither of us can get to easily enough (we know she can leave it though) and if we do try to get to it we're just hissed at.

The hiding we're fine with (as they will eventually come out) but neither of us have had a cat that has hidden for so long. We haven't heard/seen her eating, drinking or using the litter tray (but we're sure she is) and are starting to worry that as we cannot see how she looking health-wise she might be suffering or further developing non-social traits.

She has been in said location for the best part of 2-3 weeks now and we don't want to destroy any progress that has been made during this time.

The worst part is we don't really know what she looks like!

What is the best course of action?

#1 Chathin, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. cat servant

cat servant PetForums Junior

Have you tried getting some Feliways? That would potentially help to calm her nerves a little. How do the 2 cats get on with one another, are they friendly, aggressive, do they interact at all or ignore each other?

The younger one is obviously really terrified, so I think in that situation if possible, I would be tempted to relocate her into a single room, where the door can be closed and she can be left alone to explore on her own, in 'safety'. A new home is a big scary thing, but if you can take her from a huge scary big house, into a smaller, less intimidating single room, she will probably find that easier to come to terms with at first.

In the separate room, you can leave her alone for periods when hopefully over time she may overcome her fear to come out and explore, and make friends with the room. And if you can pop in periodically and just spend time in there - not going to seek her out, just being in the room, letting her get used to you being around, and hopefully eventually she will come to you.

If the 2 cats are not inseparable, then if you can put her in her own room, you'll also then get visibility of what she's doing in the litter tray and how much she's eating.

Good luck!

3. Chathin

Chathin PetForums Newbie

I've seen Feliway spoken of highly in this forum so I think I'm going to pop out on the weekend and see if a plugin works.

In regards to the cats; they were both queens and came as a bundle because they were "close" but it seems so far they've both completely ignored each other! I do think that changes when we go to bed though as we can hear them both running around like lunatics.

With the single room we kept them in our attic together and alone for the first two weeks whilst only popping in and speaking to them (or sitting down with headphones on); had to open the door at the end of the second week as the other one had obviously got bored and started pulling the carpet up near the door. Unfortunately we don't really have another room with low foot traffic barring our bedroom.

That was about three weeks ago now and there hasn't been any sign of a change from the youngest one whilst the other seems to be much more settled (and greedy).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice