Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Extremely fussy cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by NettyL9, Feb 15, 2021.

1. NettyL9

NettyL9 PetForums Junior

I would like to preface this with the fact that my cats “fussiness” is probably entirely my fault....

my 11 month old kitten has become extremely fussy. From 8 weeks I have set out to feed her the best quality wet food. Until she was around 4 months old she’d eat anything she was given without a fuss and then suddenly one day she started not wanting to eat certain foods (took to the vet to rule out any illness) we have been through almost the entire zoo plus repertoire as well as hilife and nature’s menu and she simply refuses to eat it unless some freeze dried chicken is crumbled on top and even then she’ll only eat the top layer! She does however LOVE blink cat food which I tried her with one day and now won’t eat anything else (other than dry food which I try to avoid) unfortunately blink is very expensive and not really an option long term.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can push through this fussy phase without having to resort to kitty junk foods? Is there a food similar to blink but less expensive?

sorry for the long post!

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Is Blink shredded? You could buy a completer from Zooplus and make your own cooked or raw food and add to that.
    https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860
    I give my cats boiled chicken in broth sometimes and the boiled chicken shreds easily. Some people use a slow cooker.
    You can try her out with different meats if you go homemade.

I would skip the dry as that can be filling and may put her off the wet.

3. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

My 2 are the same, only want to eat Blink and Lily's Kitchen dry food! Expensive tastes. We get Blink on subscription which makes it a bit cheaper. We have also found that they like Bozita which you can get from Zooplus, that's not too expensive. Their favourite flavour seems to be elk.

4. NettyL9

NettyL9 PetForums Junior

thanks, yes I think it’s shredded and most other foods like it are not complete. As we have the tiniest fridge and freezer space raw and home cooked is not as option at the moment as well as being vegetarian and don’t like handling meat!

Summercat likes this.
  5. NettyL9

NettyL9 PetForums Junior

I am regretting ever letting her try it now! I may sign up to the subscription if all else fails. She tried the bozita tetra kitten and disliked it are all bozita foods similar to this?

6. Kirstd78

Kirstd78 PetForums Member

OK just my suggestions, is she really hungry when you're offering new foods? IMO a bit of hunger makes them more likely to give it a go? Also try sprinkling food with either forti flora or a pinch of nutritional yeast, my cats go mad for it and it's very good for them

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@NettyL9
    I see. Canagan and Wellness Core both have shredded foods that are complete. Be sure to go light on the tuna varieties though. Not sure how they compare cost wise to Blink, neither are budget foods but would give you some variety.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice