Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Extremely aggressive cat, please help

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by ayubie, Mar 26, 2017.

1. ayubie

ayubie PetForums Newbie

My ~4 year old orange tabby saw a cat out the window of my studio about a month ago. Usually she puffs up, yowls and runs around trying to get to it, but last month she ran toward me and hissed, jumped at me, and tried to attack me until I was able to wrap her in a blanket and put her in the walk in closet with her bed, food, litterbox, etc. I thought this would be a one time thing but for the last month she has done this nearly every day, sometimes 3 times a day.

She is spayed and there are no other animals in the apartment. I have completely covered all of the windows with frosted window film, I've got 2 Feliway diffusers (more than enough for a studio), yet she still attacks every day. This happens at random times, sometimes because of a loud noise from the upstairs neighbors, but usually with no noticeable pattern. She is becoming more aggressive with each attack, to the point where I cannot feel safe in my own home.

Today she attacked me because the upstairs neighbor moved a table across the hardwood floor. After about 45 minutes of standing on my bed with a duvet to protect myself, I was able to run into the bathroom, but then I got trapped by her outside the door. Eventually I got her into the closet but this is getting way out of hand. I took her to the vet and she was so aggressive that they sent me back with a sedative and said to come back another day because they couldn't even touch her without being lunged at.

When she isn't attacking she is fine, comes and sleeps on my chest and rubs on me, etc. I've never had a problem with her being aggressive before.

Thank you so much for any help.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @ayubie and welcome :)

Can I start by checking that your cat is in good physical health as far as you are aware.? She is eating well and using her litter boxes normally?

Your cat could not get at the feline intruder she saw outside in the garden to chase it away, she was annoyed and so she redirected her anger towards you. This is something cats tend to do. One of my spayed female cats (aged 3) does it too if she is annoyed, more often towards one of the other cats rather than me or my OH. Though my OH sometimes gets a whack with her needle sharp claws if he fails to react to her signals to leave her alone. Like your cat, mine is sensitive and easily upset, but at other times she is very affectionate.

When your cat hisses it is a warning for you to leave her alone, do not touch her. It is best to take note, say nothing, turn your back, calmly walk away immediately, go into another room and close the door and stay there for a while. This action gives your cat a clear message you have understood her warning hiss and you do not intend to engage with her any further at that time.

What you should not do when she has hissed is to touch her or handle her. Definitely do not pick her up or put her into a walk-in closet as this will only upset her more. And by engaging with her in this way when she is angry you are making yourself a future target for her anger. This is why she is redirecting her anger towards you frequently. You have put yourself into the position of becoming her scape goat.

So from now on now disengage with her as soon as she gives a warning hiss. In fact even before the hiss you may see her tail swishing and her ears slightly back. That will be a sign for you to calmly walk away into another room. Do not react with fear as she will sense it and you being fearful will in turn make her fearful. Cats pick up our moods very easily. So stay calm and walk away purposefully, but without running.

Also you may like to try her with some calming supplements such as Zylkene ?

https://www.amazon.com/Vetoquinol-Z...d=1490536341&sr=8-1&keywords=zylkene+for+cats

Give her 75 mg twice a day, open the capsule and mix the powder in her food.

Or instead you could try her with Beaphar Calming spot on liquid on the back of her head once a week.

https://www.amazon.com/Beaphar-Calm...8-1&keywords=beaphar+calming+spot+on+for+cats

It might also be an idea to get a Pet Remedy diffuser and plug it in where your cat spends most of her time. These can be very effective and calming.

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Rocks-Di...490536566&sr=8-1&keywords=pet+remedy+diffuser

My hunch is you are not in the UK, so I have given you the links to products available from Amazon.com. If you are in the UK, then all 3 of these products are also available from Amazon.co.uk.

#2 chillminx, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Matrod, kittih and cava14 una like this.
  3. ayubie

ayubie PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for the detailed reply @chillminx !

As far as I know she is in good health, but has been vomiting lately. I've made an appointment at the vet tomorrow so we'll see about that.

This morning she came to attack me and I went into the bathroom and shut the door. After about 15 minutes I came out and she was in the closet, so I closed the door and let her sleep in there for a while.
    I let her out after a bit and after about 30 minutes she attacked me again. This has been ongoing all day but I have not touched her whatsoever. It's only a matter of minutes until she hisses and tries to attack me. I've been leaving her in the closet for longer and I feel awful about it, she cries but as soon as I let her out her eyes are already wide and every time she hears a noise she is very jumpy. I feel absolutely terrible putting her in the closet so much but I have to study and I can't spend all day locked in my own bathroom.

Hopefully the vet can tell me if something is wrong medically because everything I do seems to make her more stressed and aggressive.

#3 ayubie, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

She sounds very wound up all the time and this may be a sign she is unwell. Glad she will be seeing the vet today. Hopefully the vet will agree to do a full blood test and urinalysis.

Please let us know how things go.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice