Extremally fussy eater!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Bailey-is-his-name, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Bailey-is-his-name

Bailey-is-his-name PetForums Junior

Hi All

Thankfully a much more light hearted topic, and advanced apologies for discussing something that has no doubt been discussed a million times
    So here we go, firstly, I should prompt by stating he is going through the changing of baby teeth to adult teeth, he's now 6 months. he is pooing regularly, normally first thing in the morning, he does not drink an awful lot though, and his wee, fluctuates in colour, either yellow, or Lucozade colour, he's still energetic always wanting to play, he is not napping as much as he did when he was a proper puppy (normal I presume) gums nice and pink, cold wet nose when playing (still not sure if that's a myth?) overall seems quite healthy
    So...
    Tinned food (various makes & flavours tried) - now not interested, Dry mix (Bakers 100% complete) - will leave in his bowl for most of the day, but will pick out the larger soft squidgy ones, mostly leaving the harder ones, Freshly cooked chicken - yes, next day not so much, 3rd day after defrosting - not interested, minced beef / lamb - only when freshly cooked (fried or boiled with fat drained off) then later not all, raw mince - only once / now not at all, lambs liver - loved it, now not so much, and not sure whether I can give him as a staple diet, cooked beef (shredded) likes it but wont eat it regularly, raw tripe - tried - now not interested, raw carrot - likes it in moderation, peas / rice / cabbage / broccoli / sprout / cauliflower not a big fan at all, but will dip in occasionally, he does like dog treats of course, but he cant survive on those. Does he sound more like a grazer? when little bits here & there will suffice?
    Anyway I have been trawling the web, considering ways of adding a little more enticement by way of Herbs,
    confused reports on Garlic, some say a big NO NO! some say a little every now and then wont harm him,

I was wondering if any members had tried the following, if so, fresh or dried please? (these seem to be acceptable so far) Sage / Turmeric (Ground) / Parsley / Rosemary / Thyme / Basil / Ginger (ground or finely chopped fresh) / Mint / Coriander. not all at one time of course! or whether there may be something else to consider?

As always, any advice or guidance greatly received

Many thanks

Steve

2. BlueJay

BlueJay ALL the long snooters

Sid he consistently eat the squishy bakers bits?
    If so, try a (better quality...) semi moist food and see how he does. Something like Platinum or Akela.

Warming up wet food might be an option too; what have you tried thus far?

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Bailey-is-his-name

Hi BlueJay

Thanks for your reply

I forgot to mention earlier, also tried tinned Tuna (in water) and tinned Salmon, as with the other foods, there was initial interest, but then turned his nose up. I have tried cold and warm food, but admittedly not warmed tinned food. the products you mention, are they available in most supermarkets? not heard of them before..

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What breed is he?

Honestly it sounds like your dog has a much more varied diet than me, no wonder he will pick and choose!

I'd stop tempting him with any of that stuff, find a decent dog food, wet or dry or both, put it down down twice a day and leave it for 5 minutes. If he doesn't eat it take it up and try again at the next meal. He won't starve himself.

5. Bailey-is-his-name

Hi labradrk
    he is a Yorkie, not so much a varied diet (Although your comment did make me smile) just trying to find a winner we know he will have on a regular basis, those meals mentioned above are just us trying to find the ''Keeper'" for him

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

The more you try to find the winner, what you are doing is making him fussy. In the sense...he doesn't eat, you offer him something tastier...hes basically trained YOU well.

Hes actually not that fussy, in the sense, hes eaten a variety he just wants something better each time...

You need to pick a food you would like to feed, and wait it out. Dogs are not fussy, but will sit out and wait for something better once trained to do so..how fussy can dogs be when many posts here are about dogs scavenging, dogs eating things they shouldn't and those that eat poo.

A fussy dog is not born, but made in my opinion.

Meezey likes this.
  7. Jacjaiarch

Jacjaiarch PetForums Member

My pup is very much the same at the moment, she is also teething! Each meal time I'll put wet in one bowl and soaked dry in another, we give her 30mins before we take it away, she may eat one or the other, rarely both. Before this we were constantly trying different options, if she didn't eat one we'd take that away put something else down until she ate something, next meal we would put down what she had previously eaten and she would sniff and walk away, so again we would repeat the process! We've definitely learnt our lesson and now not give her the option, a couple times she hasn't touched either her wet of dry I'll take one away by time I've got back to pick the other one up she's there eating it.

8. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Tough love I am afraid, try and stick with one food and leave it down for a set time, if not eaten lift until next meal time. I'd try not to fed Bakers is possible, it's not a great food. but stick with one food and stick to a routine. I'd also cut out treats until a routine is set, you are teaching your pup to be fussy as he knows if it doesn't meet his standards that day you will fall over yourself finding something sir does like. Making a rod for your own back..

lullabydream likes this.
  9. Bailey-is-his-name

lullabydream, maize, Jacjaiarch
    apologies for delay in replying
    I have said a few times to my partner, who is training who? and agreed tough love is required, but we all (the Mutt, me & my partner) have been through a traumatic start to his life. If he fancied sirloin steak as a winner, then that's what he would have got, we would have done anything to assist in his recovery (he came very close to losing his life) unfortunately the concern we have as worried owners, has not subsided. although we are getting better, albeit slowly... I agree with all your comments, we have lost sight of who controls who, so will take on board your comments and give him some tough love! although it will be tough. as of today its a take it or leave it approach (but with a side dish of Dry mix, just in case;)) we need to learn as well, I was a puppy owner some 20 years ago, a Golden retriever, such a beautiful girl, so I'm learning again, my missus is a first timer. so please forgive us, or should I say Me for being desperate to ensure he gets as much help as we can to ensure a healthy diet for him

regards

Steve