Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Extinction rebellion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Elles, Apr 18, 2019.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I can highly recomend having a broken boiler and no access to running hot water. Really makes you think about how much water you actually need and use it wisely!:D

kimthecat, Elles and Magyarmum like this.
  2. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Yeah over the years we’ve been given all kinds of crappy and contradictory advice by various experts and ‘none experts’. Now we’re getting the blame for using tech and products we were sold, told to use and made to think were better. We have kids crying because we’re all going to die and luvvies like Emma Thompson flying in from her birthday party to say we should all be ashamed whilst grinning about the possibility of being arrested.

Which experts are we supposed to believe this week when deciding what to do next?

Coincidentally we’ve had a broken boiler that gave up the ghost. Our local plumber chap is in the kitchen fitting a new one right now. :D

C8E50F17-3F23-455A-A682-EA7FF02B8B38.jpeg

3. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Tell me about it.

My house was just a shell when I moved in. No kitchen, bathroom or electricity, just an outside tap and a privy with no door on it, halfway up the garden. No furniture either and for the four months before it arrived from SA I slept on a pile of cardboard padded with all the clothes I'd got. Great fun!

Mind you I once lived in a garden shed for nearly a year where everything had to be hung from the rafters to stop the rats chewing them.

kimthecat, samuelsmiles3 and Elles like this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hey! Hands off my dishwasher!!
    We have a well and a septic tank, all our water basically stays on our property and gets recycled. Does that count?

Seriously though, trying to do 'right' environmentally, ethically, health-wise etc. can do your head in.
    I have a dishwasher, but I have a well, is that okay?
    I try to avoid plastic, so I order my shampoo bar from amazon, and it comes - with plastic bubble wrap! :mad:
    My mother and aunt live 1000 miles away, is it more environmentally friendly to drive to see her or fly? I genuinely don't know?
    We bought better insulated windows for our house, but still run the AC in the summer.
    I eat vegan, but I don't shop all local, would it be better to be more local and less vegan, or more vegan and less local?

How is one to know what to do?
    I think the best any of us can do is just that - do our best. And 'best' looks different for everyone.
    What's that saying? Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can. That's all any of us can do....

Lexiedhb, Rafa, Colette and 7 others like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I worked with someone who owns a plane, I am obviously talking a small one. It's gone over my head what type it was sorry He has family in France. He flies to France to see his relatives. People often are aghast at say the cost for him. It costs for him very little fuel. Does this equate to lesser emissions; possibly again I dont know anything about planes. I also know he's not a millionaire, he's not got loads of assets etc. He just holds one of those pilot license. He obviously wanted to achieve that dream. It's benefited him to see his family.

LinznMilly, Elles, O2.0 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

He is a neighbour of mine . . . and yes, he manages to get the point over by simply stating the facts in a clear and knowledgeable way. He is not out to get publicity or scare children to death (he doesn't need it) and is modest, unassuming and totally unpretentious. No, I could not see him at work with the superglue or leaving Easter eggs for Jeremy Corbyn after tying himself to the fence.

To be honest, @Elles - call me cynical if you like - but my guess is that if the reporters and cameras disappeared, the whole thing would fade into oblivion. In fact, I bet many people in other parts of the UK have never heard of this lot. When the luvvies Jude Law and Lily Allen went to Calais to tell us how concerned they were and what we should be doing, there was a very obvious media presence (who had likely been tipped off that there would be ''celebs'' in the camp on a certain day). Amusingly enough, one of Jude Law's bodyguards was mugged and his mobile and wallet taken :Hilarious . . . that will show you how impressed the migrants were with their visit!

Rafa likes this.
  7. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I was thinking about the electricity it uses. I don't have a tumble dryer either. I use the washing machine about twice a week .

Magyarmum likes this.
  8. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

What so far nobody has mentioned .... or perhaps they're not aware of the fact that there's a similar protest going on in Paris which has nothing to do with the Gilets Jaune protests!

https://www.france24.com/en/20190419-french-climate-activists-protest-la-defense-total

Hundreds of climate activists staged a protest in Paris's business district of La Défense on Friday morning to highlight the "toxic alliance" between the French state and multinationals that they accuse of being responsible for global warming.

Calvine and kimthecat like this.
  9. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I have a dishwasher - my OH :D
    I was a dishwasher virgin until last year when I used one in a holiday lodge . I can see the attraction!

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I do have a dishwasher but with two of us it’s slimline and we only run it on eco once a day. I also have a very glam bucket in the shower so we collect grey water which I use in our front garden. I do this almost all year and store in a water-but that isn’t connected to a gutter. We have three others which are connected to outhouse gutters in the back garden with drip feeds.

I have never owned a tumble dryer. We have a perfectly good garden with a long line and a Lakeland hot aired thingymebob that we might use overnight.

Like others (and as already mentioned elsewhere on here) we are phasing our plastic - really hard, palm oil, grow our own, use refills for any products were possible and shop local. I eat seasonal to avoid air miles and cycle. We do not fly or take cruises.

11. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

It’s been on the news. Not so friendly and peaceful as ours.

kimthecat and Magyarmum like this.
  12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

TBF though Sir David Attenborough could tell me almost anything about the environment and Id believe him no questions asked!:D He has such gravitas and over 50 yrs of documentaries behind him. I doubt he would be down there protesting though as he's over 90!

Boxer123, bearcub, Calvine and 2 others like this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LinznMilly, noushka05 and kimthecat like this.
  14. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Spoiler alert, but only one answer.

The first question, the number 1 answer was throw away less food, which was awkward because I personally rarely throw away food, because I make it and then eat it, composting is throwing away less food and plants don’t go off like meat and dairy do, so there’s be less thrown away if we all went plant based. So I wasn’t sure what it meant. Then I read the comment and it said eating less meat would mean throwing less away and gave up. :Hilarious

What was it you were saying about confused? :Woot

I’ll try again tomorrow when I’m more awake. :oops:

LinznMilly and O2.0 like this.
  15. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

There is nothing wrong with it, except when its being used as a distraction to undermine the climate science or to deflect away from the radical changes we must make to our entire economy & way of life it we are to avert catastrophe.

If this threads anything to go by he clearly hasn't got the point over on his 'Climate change the facts' documentary lol

And if the facts he relayed to us about climate change didn't scare those who watched it to death then they must be in deep denial. “In the 20 years since I first started talking about the impact of climate change on our world, conditions have changed far faster than I ever imagined,” Attenborough says. “It may sound frightening, but the scientific evidence is that if we have not taken dramatic action within the next decade, we could face irreversible damage to the natural world, and the collapse of our societies.”

Also, the schoolgirl who inspired the school strikes for the climate was actually featured on the programme.:confused:

David Attenborough praises the activists: Attenborough praises her action along with others across the world in the BBC film, saying that “there’s a message for all of us in the voices of these young people. It is after all their generation who will inherit this dangerous legacy."

Schoolgirl activist Greta Thunberg joins David Attenborough for powerful new BBC1 climate change documentary
    Young and old unite to warn of the "man-made disaster" of global warming

[​IMG]

OMG.

#175 noushka05, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  16. noushka05

A couple of really important things which I don't think have been mentioned about, what, as individuals we can do. One is to switch to a green energy supplier. We're with the greenest company - Ecotricity. https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/

Secondly & probably most importantly is to choose your political representatives wisely. Its no good saying you care about the planet then voting for someone like Trump or Gove, Mogg et al. UKIP dont even believe in climate change & neither do a chunk of the tories & most of those that say they do believe the science clearly don't see saving the planet as a priority. Its easy to check out the voting history of UK politicians - you can easily find out where they stand on environmental issues & climate change. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/

I notice Anna Soubry got owned on twitter the other day. This was Owen Jones response.

[​IMG]

17. noushka05

The UK weather is getting warmer, the long term trend shows temperatures are rising. Our climate is changing. TBH I don't need scientific evidence to tell me that - I've been alive long enough to experience the changes for myself.

[​IMG]

#177 noushka05, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  18. noushka05

Well done David :) David has got the point across to some people :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. samuelsmiles3

samuelsmiles3 PetForums Member

Molly attributed a warm April day to 'climate change.' It was a weather event, and not once, not on any occasion, have I claimed that the climate is not changing or our climate is warming. :)

MollySmith likes this.
  20. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I bet she has a few. I read quite recently that the latest ''must have'' trend is a two-dishwasher kitchen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice